Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dejan Vranic
Norway
Oslo
Oslo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
He was leading the decisivie attack of the french forces on the allied center at Austerlitz. Why is he not in the game? Which commanders in the boardgame where under Soults command?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Note that Napoleon isn't in the game either. The named commanders are Corps Commanders. More senior commanders are therefore ignored.

I don't know which commanders were under Soult's command, but as setup is variable in the board game they are not likely to be in the same places as their historical counterparts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
László K.
United States
Hopatcong
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Order of Battle at the Austerlitz campaign

IV Corps
Marshal Nicolas Jean de Dieu Soult
Strength: 23,600 men and 35 guns.

1st Division - General of Division Louis Vincent Le Blond de Saint-Hilaire
10ème Régiment d'lnfanterie Légère
14ème Régiment d'lnfanterie de Ligne
36ème Régiment d'lnfanterie de Ligne
2nd Division - General of Division Dominique Joseph Rene Vandamme
24ème Régiment d'lnfanterie Légère
4ème Régiment d'lnfanterie de Ligne
28ème Régiment d'lnfanterie de Ligne
43ème Régiment d'lnfanterie de Ligne
46ème Régiment d'lnfanterie de Ligne
55ème Régiment d'lnfanterie de Ligne
57ème Régiment d'lnfanterie de Ligne
3rd Division - General of Division Claude Juste Alexandre Legrand
26ème Régiment d'lnfanterie Légère
3ème Régiment d'lnfanterie de Ligne
18ème Régiment d'lnfanterie de Ligne
75ème Régiment d'lnfanterie de Ligne
Tirailleurs du Pô (Italian light infantry)
Tirailleurs Corses (Corsican light infantry)
Light Cavalry Division - General of Brigade Pierre Margaron
8ème Régiment de Hussards (Hussars)
11ème Régiment de Chasseurs à Cheval
26ème Régiment de Chasseurs à Cheval
Corps Artillery - 35 guns (mostly 12pdrs)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
San Clemente
California
flag msg tools
Here the truceless armies yet / Trample, rolled in blood and sweat; / They kill and kill and never die; / And I think that each is I. // None will part us, none undo / The knot that makes one flesh of two, /
badge
Sick with hatred, sick with pain, / Strangling -- When shall we be slain? // When shall I be dead and rid / Of the wrong my father did? / How long, how long, till spade and hearse / Puts to sleep my mother's curse?
mbmbmbmbmb
Good point. Yes, Soult's corps was historically much larger than the other corps, so it actually consists of, in game terms, the _Divisions_ of St. Hilaire, Vandamme, Legrand, any detached cavalry brigades / regiments, and the 2 artillery units; the former are called 'corps' for game terms because they moved independently & with different missions during the battle. They were placed under Soult for administration & deployment purposes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rachel Simmons
United States
Los Altos
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Soult is not in the game because his division commanders are instead. The game only supports a single level of command. On the Allied side, Kutusov and Buxhowden aren't in the game either, for the same reason.

Essentially, the top-ranking commanders who were physically present with the soldiers under their command are the ones included. Soult's 3 divisions were in different parts of the battlefield, spread out over much too large of an area for Soult to be with them all. Soult seems to have spent most of the battle at Napoleon's HQ.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Montgomery
United States
Joliet
Illinois
flag msg tools
Dear Geek: Please insert the wittiest comment you can think of in this text pop-up. Then times it by seven.
badge
The Coat of Arms of Clan Montgomery - Scotland. Yes, that's a woman with the head of a savage in her hand, and an anchor. No clue what it means, but it's cool.
mbmbmbmbmb
Or put another way, in a team game, YOU are Soult.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.