Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Shoeless Doug
United States
Bismarck
North Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Looks like I'm a bad son again. Father's day was a week and a half ago and my dad's birthday was last week. Of course, I didn't plan things well and didn't get him anything...yet.

I'd love to buy him a new game or two, but here is where the struggle begins. My dad is always extremely cold to trying new things, including new games. I got him to play some Carcassonne with me this December and he fell in love with it. He actually took it to another level by purchasing the game (out of the ordinary) along with all the expansions he could find. My mom and him played every night up until baseball started. They then stopped cold turkey. He's given several other games a try with us, but nothing's had the appeal to him like Carc., but I think that ship might have sailed. Settlers wasn't to his liking because the scoring element is not like Carc. (he's anti-victory point). TTR was kind of blah for him, which I thought would be right up his alley. Citadels, Bohnanza, and Bang have been big losers for him. He refuses to try Agricola, even though he constantly corrects our pronunciation of it. He actually liked Pandemic, which suprised me since he hates playing Pinochle because he has to rely on his partners ability. He tried Lost Cities with me during a Twins rainout and it went over well (I think this might take off so I left my mom the game).

Wow, this is getting long.

Help me.

Taluva (tile laying game)?
Fjords (tiles)?
Carc.: Castle???

AAAAAHHHHH....help me...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bret Clifton
United States
Newman Lake
Washington
flag msg tools
Stave it off, 1 2 3, now you can count to three!
badge
Do I know what rhetorical means?
mbmbmbmbmb
Taluva, for sure. My dad and I have played that at least 60-70 times.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Kat
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since Carcassonne was a hit, just get him Carcassonne: The Castle or Carcassonne: The City. Carc the City comes in a fancy wood box. I think it would make a nice gift. But Carc the Castle is a very good 2 player game if you wanted to go that route.

Edit: I just thought of another good tile placement game you could check out: Attika

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Franzman
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Hey! You don't know where that cursor has been!
mbmbmbmbmb
Why not Tigris & Euphrates? Apparently it's some sort of classic...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas
Germany
Nagold
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thurn and Taxis works very well with 2 players and if he is into old maps or something like antiques (dont know) this might do the trick. Well with sports there are those sports games Um Reifenbreite for bikers or Formula D for the car lovers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shoeless Doug
United States
Bismarck
North Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
haha...man, Steve, you may be right...but Carc's been the only thing to tear him away from the tv in 30 years (aside from golf and watching me and my nephews play sports)...I took him to watch the Twins for a weekend last year and he loved it. My main point in buying him a gift is to spend time with him other than watching tv. I suppose a golf outing could be in order, but that's a one time deal. With games everyone (and most importantly, my mom) gets to spend "real" time with him...I guess I'm pretty sappy with this...maybe I should see a shrink instead of post...haha...

Attika looks like it could be a winner with him...

Attika and a golf outing...that could work...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Romian Tuesta-Vilca
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Binko wrote:
Sounds to me like your Dad just doesn't like games much. The fluke interest in Carcasonne could have been a one time thing.

I'd advise getting him something he might really want and then moving on and spending your gaming time with other people who actually love playing board games.

I have to second this.

Get him tickets for a baseball match or a baseball!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shoeless Doug
United States
Bismarck
North Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Ah, steve, deep down I know you're right. Looks like my dad is getting a round a golf and a steak dinner with his boy...

I'm pretty sure my four-year-old son needs that game, T&E, I keep hearing about...according to some it's a classic...

maybe i should turn this into a geeklist -- "The inappropriate gift geeklist"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Brown
United States
North Adams
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not a sports fan and so haven't played any games in the genre I'm about to suggest, but since your dad is, have you considered something like Pizza Box Baseball? Maybe a board game about baseball would be just the thing to get him away from the TV.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
McDog
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Osirus wrote:
I'm not a sports fan and so haven't played any games in the genre I'm about to suggest, but since your dad is, have you considered something like Pizza Box Baseball? Maybe a board game about baseball would be just the thing to get him away from the TV.

BUT, does his mother want to play a baseball game? Never a good thing to go buy a game your game playing partner(s) won't play.

See my purchase of Die Macher as an example.

Maybe he and his wife would like Alhambra? Plays great with 2 and has some tile laying.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Anderson
United States
Midlothian
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Alhambra is a great tile-laying game, best with 2-3 players. And it is a great value right now with the Alhambra Big Box (the base game + all 5 expansions) available for as little as $50 online.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Oster
United States
Arlington
TX
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I also recommend Alhambra. It has gone over great with my family. It is even something that my 79 year old father-in-law and mother-in-law have fun playing. Man are they competitive. No mercy there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joachim Pehl
Germany
Daubach
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If he likes sport, you could try looking fo a sport-themed game, Formula D or something similar comes to mind.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.