Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: DIY [+] [View All]
ian o
Canada
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi there, I am wondering what people use to make their boards? Right now I only have mine on poster board paper. Its pretty flimsy.

Is there anywhere I can pick up one of those black, leathery type boards that a lot of the mass market games, etc. are on? I have no idea what you would call that

Or is there other material that works well? Anyways, I would love some advice, and I also open this thread to general discussion about making your actual boards, if you so choose.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
mb
I'm a big fan of mat board, the stuff used for framing. I print off artwork on full-sheet label stock, cover it with self-stick laminate, and then stick it down to the mat board. I then hinge the boards together with more laminate, and it folds up into a nice little stack of cardboard. It's about as hefty as the boards you find in professionally produced games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Worthington
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
2010 Releases ........................................ The Resistance, Haggis & Triumvirate ..................................... Now accepting submissions for 2011 releases ........................................ www.IndieBoardsandCards.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I do mine on 4 ply chipboard (called greyboard in the UK). Its 1.4mm thick so pretty sturdy.

Any art supply store will sell it, standard US sizes are 8x10 and 16x20 inches, though I buy mine in bulk from a local chinese importer in 8 1/2 x 11 sizes.

Use an adhesive to mount graphics. 3M spray adhesive 77 works great.

You can easily spread a larg surface across several smaller boards so they fold. Somethimes it takes a little creativity to get the folds to work out (an 8 fold board is possible, haven't tried larger)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael J
United States
Folsom
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mat board is probably your best bet for thick, hard, board. You can find it in any picture framing store, or at an arts and craft store like Michael's. You can also try presentation boards, which are light-weight, thick, foamy boards that you can find at an office supply store like Office Depot.

You can also try going to a thrift shop, buying some old board games up for $1.99, and using their boards!

BTW - I use poster board too for my own designs. If, and when, I ever get something past the alpha stage, I'd follow my own advice above!

Mike

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Keith
United States
Umatilla
Florida
flag msg tools
mb
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/419435

Above is the method I used below is ordering premade blank boards i am sure there are other providers as well.

http://www.boardgamedesign.com/pages/main_pur.htm
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alysa
Netherlands
Zoetermeer area
flag msg tools
Garfield
badge
Never trust a smiling Garfield!
Or use this: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/415672
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ian o
Canada
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the replies everyone
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Here's what I usually shall 'do'! Creating your OWN "RE-Designers" edition cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.