Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
11 Posts

Steam» Forums » General

Subject: Questions on the "Awesome" factor & Steam compatability with Tycoon rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rob M.
United States
College Park,
Maryland
flag msg tools
Its Peanut Butter Jelly Time!
mbmbmbmbmb
I have neither played nor seen either game.

I began investigating Tycoon about a year ago as my eldest is getting to an age where I can introduce more complex games. I like Tycoon as I thought the kids would say "Awesome" when they had a chance to play with the plastic water tower, train and other pieces - that the visual and tactile element of the pieces would help draw them in. I held off as I read that Steam was going to be released, but Steam appears to lack these awesome pieces. Is that correct, Steam uses wooden disks etc.. and does not have the variety of pieces of Tycoon?

If I purchase a used copy of Tycoon, how compatible would the copy be with Steam expansions and maps?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jim b
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
Not compatible (different hex sizes).

I would encourage you to start with Railroad Tycoon - family and friends typically find it more 'fun', while Steam is more of a gamers choice.

PS. Railroad Tycoon does have a great expansion 'map', though: the Rails of Europe expansion. Actually - it fixes problems with the base game (making RRT a substantially cleaner/better game for gamers too), it's a good map, it's not so huge, and it's better for 2-4 player games.

edit - add ps
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Albatros
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On the other hand, you might want to hold off a few more months for Railways of the World's successor: Railways of the World.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob M.
United States
College Park,
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jim B. Thank you for the kind answer.

I had been filtering and reading reviews and session postings and did not directly see the answers, After I posted I filtered on "general" and saw and read several relevant threads that I should have looked over before posting.

Based on the reading, if buying to play with my adult gaming friends Steam seems the better bet. I think RR Tycoon has the better wow factor for the kids and I will pick up a used copy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erin Leonhard
United States
Aldie
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
If I were teaching children the system, I'd get Railways of the World for its look and easier ruleset, and also grab Railways of England and Wales to play the 18xx variant with adults ($34 extra for 3 games - another RRT map and the 18xx variant on both maps). Who am I kidding, I'd make my kids play 18xx, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill J
United States
Batavia
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
I also recommend the Railways of Europe board. One of the problems with Railroad Tycoon is the enormously large board of the eastern U.S. and the uneven distribution of cities on that map. Like the poster above, you could wait for Railroads of the World or you could plunge into Railroad Tycoon knowing that there are better maps than the one that comes in the base game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob M.
United States
College Park,
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
P. Low
$70 for Railways of the World plus having to wait an unknown amount of time. $55 - $60 for good used copies of RRT. Not an easy call. Thank you for pointing it out, I had not seen reference to it before.

Erin O'Malley & Bill Jennings.
Thank you for your suggestions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Base Steam > Railroad Tycoon in every aspect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Dontanville
United States
Charlottesville
VA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Plate of Shrimp.
badge
Here we are folks, the dream we all dream of.
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't want to rehash an old argument but I was really disappointed in Railroad Tycoon. I'm not saying that you should buy Steam, but I can't recommend RT.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Crane
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just posted my impressions of the five-player "basic" game which might help you with your decision.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Stewart
United States
Leesburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RT is a fine game, and while it may be a good choice for older kids to get into, it is still a very good game for adults. I play with a group that has a vast range of experience in boardgaming (from 1st-time gamers to 20-year wargame veterans), and all of us like RT very much. It is not the brain burner that some games are (...AOS/Steam), but neither is it monopoly. During a game we have time to drink beer and lightly BS, but much of the time is spent planning out our next move/s. I think RT is a great choice for both adults and sharp kids >~12.
BTW, by RT I mean both the base game and/or the Rails of Europe expansion.

This IS NOT a comparison to Steam BTW, so no-one start with me! devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.