United States
Arnold
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good day, BGG!!

Earlier this year I asked for a bit of guidance as to what I should focus my increasingly ADD mind upon as far as game systems design goes.

A few responses later and I settled on working on my Modern/Sci-fi Skirmishers miniature type of system that lives along the same vein as Mordheim.

It's a work of love, as they say, and something I'll probably not get "officially" published but will be a PnP placed up on the 'Geek here for others to tool around with and enjoy when it's complete. Anyways, if you want to read some of my rambling thoughts and stream of consciousness, I've started a bit of a blog/diary:

http://wiredwolf.wordpress.com/

Any sort of constructive comments are always welcome. Including a possible title when I start laying out the "Theme" to the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Paul
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good Luck in your quest for the perfect skirmish game.

I am sure you will find yourself in illustrious company.

My one comment - watch the amount of math required to conduct the "to hit" process. Though gamers can be an intelligent lot, we tend to dislike math in the middle of a game. And often become unable to add 1+1 after a marathon session of gaming :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bobek
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
It's a work of love, as they say, and something I'll probably not get "officially" published but will be a PnP placed up on the 'Geek here for others to tool around with and enjoy when it's complete.

Take heart. I started writing rules in 1970 and 35 years later had a collection I wanted to publish. Well, it's out and doing modestly well. Give it your best shot and don't hold back. Remember, if it's worth doing, it's worth doing imperfectly. No one lives long enough for perfection so don't worry of there are some who don't get it! Injoy!

How about "Tech Trooper" for a title? Modern warfare is becoming very high tech now, let alone for the future. The Army Times showed a picture of a possible future battle dress uniform with plastic armor that was eerily (and possibly deliberately) similar to a stormtrooper scout from Star Wars.goo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Abby
BC West Coast
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BTW the OP has a great scheme on his site there. Very colorful in a good way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Arnold
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the kind words!

"Tech Trooper"...hmmm...I kinda like, will have to mull it over a bit and see what shakes loose as I continue to write the back story and history.

I know what you mean about the math, Jeff...sad part is I LOVE math, so I can't avoid it! It's a sickness! I use games as a medium to challenge myself mathematically at times, you should SEE the spread sheet I made a few years ago to calculate building a "Tank Cannon" for an unrelated game. robot

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Arnold
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I somehow never played Necromunda.

One of the few GW titles that my group had no interest in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Intres
United States
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a compliment: I really like the idea of a Weapon+ system. It's something that's easy to comprehend, especially for those that have played video games (who more or likely will if they get into these type of games).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Arnold
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, Chris.

That's also one thing I've been conscious of while designing this. I have 2 "Alpha" testers that I use. One is a game geek and enjoys a lot of video games, and likes complexity in games and the other is a hard core video gamer. So far, response from them has been very positive and helpful (granted, they are relatives, but we're not shy about harsh criticism when directly asked).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Harv wrote:
If you go around saying 'my game is a futuristic version of Mordheim' you can expect some funny looks if you haven't looked at Necromunda.

Yeah, you REALLY need to come up with a new line to not look kind of silly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Arnold
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Part of the reason we didn't play it is because we were all too busy with Warhammer FB, 40k, Mordheim, and BloodBowl. The cash outlay for yet ANOTHER GW miniatures dice fest didn't appeal to us.

That being said, I've never truly likened it to Mordheim, but was just a base of reference. Either way, I do understand the gist. Some major differences, this one will end up PnP with some (hopefully) counters that can be used in place of minis, and also not cost the player $300.00 in miniatures to play a base game! =)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Arnold
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, I have "Squad Command" for my PSP.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Arnold
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It has a much more powerful processor and such. A bit better than a PS2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.