Arkham Horror» Forums » General

Subject: Our first game was a total wipeout :p rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mihael R
Croatia
Zagreb
flag msg tools
You, just sit in the car and keep the engine running. Any questions?
badge
Remember, I'm the monkey and you're the cheese grater, so no messin' around
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought the game a few days ago. After studying the rules, we decided to play our first game which was a three-player game. We picked our investigators on random, but I chose Yig as the boss, because I read in the rules that if we wanted to play a shorter game we should pick Yig. I don't know why I thought that picking Yig will mean that it will be an easier game, because we were wiped out in first two or three rounds in the final battle. Now I'm scared to even start a new game. I don't see that it is even possible to win in this game . Maybe we made a mistake when we tried to close gates almost immediately. New gates simply kept on appearing, and doom counters kept on filling one by one. All of a sudden, there were ten doom counters on Yig. But, the terror track remained on 0! So, I believe that was our mistake. What's worse, one player was lost in time and space the moment Yig awoke, so she was immediately eliminated. We also got cursed and stuff, so we SIMPLY didn't stand a chance against him. That discouraged me. Well, next time we'll take a different boss and try not to close gates immediately. Simply farm monsters and things like that.

What do you think?

Regards!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wouter Dhondt
Belgium
Anzegem
flag msg tools
My armor is contempt. My shield is disgust. My sword is hatred. In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
badge
Song of my soul, my voice is dead; Die thou, unsung, as tears unshed. Shall dry and die in Lost Carcosa.
mbmbmbmbmb
Don´t close gates, seal them. Only close gates if you´re getting close to the gate limit.

Either way, Yig is pretty hard to close due to the short doom track and his cultists.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JGT
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
With Yig, a shorter game means a more frantic game. Anyone who tells you Yig is "easy" is some veteran who has played the game several times already. Someday you may agree...but not on Game 1!

Next time, play Nyarlathotep. I guarantee your game will slow down considerably, and give you all the time you need to move around and breathe. Let you play the game instead of the game playing you.

When you close gates without sealing the location, you grant the Mythos Deck the ability to pop another gate at that location, thus adding another doom token. Without Yig, take the time to wander around and gather up the 5 Clue Tokens you need to seal a closed gate, THEN go offworld and return, so you can seal the location. That will slow the doom track down some, and let you get 6 Seals for the win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jgt7771 wrote:
With Yig, a shorter game means a more frantic game. Anyone who tells you Yig is "easy" is some veteran who has played the game several times already.

Uuh, uuh, me, me, me !

Actually, scratch that, Yig's the hardest to win against (for me). Only managed 1 win in 6 tries. Of course, win for me doesn't include victory in final combat, so... Not losing against Yig isn't hard, you'll generally last long enough for someone (or multiple someones) to get rid of the Curse and then you can "bring the pain".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Martin
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Start with Azathoth.
Long doom track, and you don't have to worry about any final battle. You may not win, but you'll have plenty of time to figure out the strategy behind sealing gates before the game's over.

But if you really want a shorter doom track, then Nyarlathotep would be the best choice to start out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomas Riha
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Our group played our first game against Yig and we closed him out quite easily.

But we did have some luck and had pretty good strategy for beeing a first game.

Our luck was in that we had two elder signs and that we got monster surges quite early on which delayed Yigs awakening.

I think Yig is quite a good first GOO to play against becase a) shorter game, b) easy rules impact and c) easy to prepare for final battle (just need to get blessed).

Azathoth is so booring because there is never the final battle and the game can become soooo long with new players and 14 Doom.

Tex
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TexMurphy wrote:
c) easy to prepare for final battle (just need to get blessed).

Well sure, if you want to suck all the tension out of the final battle. Yig's perfectly beatable without preparing for it.

Quote:
Azathoth is so booring because there is never the final battle and the game can become soooo long with new players and 14 Doom.

Tex

Long doom track makes Azathoth easy (not to mention his non-existant game effect), no final combat just forces you to go for an "actual" win (i.e. closing or sealing; or if you have Dunwich, Join the Winning Team devil ).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Søren E.
Denmark
Gredstedbro
flag msg tools
Don't close gates too rapidly. I've played around 6-8 times and lost every single time. The last time I had a much easier time because I was told not to close the gates immediately. You are just feeding the doom track when you keep closing gates. This last time I played against Azathoth and managed to seal 4 gates, while Azathoth only had 4 doom tokens, that lazy bastard because I didn't close gate after gate immediately .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jeppster wrote:
Gate bursts don't do good things for that strategy. It's still important, but we haven't developed all the other basic strategies well-enough yet.

Just to reiterate:

Gate Bursts = greatest thing since base AH cool !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.