Chicago Express» Forums » General

Subject: Has anyone actually played 2 Player? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really want this game; however, due to some uncontrollable circumstances I will be mostly be playing 2 player games in the near future.

I would like to know if anyone has actually played this game with two and if it works for them?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Breno K.
Brazil
Brasília
Distrito Federal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never done it, but considering most ofthe game consists in which opponent you ally yourself with at what particular moments of the game, I think it would feel kinda pointless (or at least it would be a significantly different game). I'd recommend against it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There have been several threads on this. I think the conclusion was 'not if you like the interesting auction/alliance game that CE is supposed to be'

B>
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tryggvi Björgvinsson
Iceland
Kópavogur
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have, it wasn't really fun but that isn't the game's fault. It was really my opponents fault. This game has no luck so one should be careful when playing (kinda like chess, don't mess up or it'll get you in the back).

Don't misunderstand me. The game is fun, but both players (in a 2 player game) should know how everything works and actually think a little bit a head when doing something.

In my only 2p game I was playing against my friend. He bought a shares for a lot of money which left me with a bunch and him with nothing (that was a bad move on his part - which ruined the game). So when it was my turn I just auctioned off a few off his shares and some new shares and gained majority in everything he owned plus something more. I therefore ended up getting more money than him for the rest of the game (until he gave up) and everything he did benefited me so I focused on my own company.

So you should practice a lot before you get good at a 2 player game in my opinion. Small things might ruin the session.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Suppe Kasper wrote:
I would like to know if anyone has actually played this game with two and if it works for them?

Yes, I've done it. No, it wasn't worth it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Keightley
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Different
people
have
different
opinions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff
United States
Natick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I want to believe
badge
*distinctive theme song whistle*
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I played 2 player once. I was entertained, but it was not anywhere near as engaging as the game I played with 6. (Note: I've only played those two times, so this is the opinion of somebody without any real CE experience to speak of)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bohrer
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sure, and it is a chess game, very different than the multi-player game, but very demanding in its own way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Costas
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chess is a good comparison to 2-player CE in a way.

Also, see here: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/388865
And a variant, here: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/390877

IMO, Wabash/CE is best with 4.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played it two player, once. A bit like Power Grid really. Two player is a way of learning the game, but if you want to actually play the game find more people. If you only have two players, play something else meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Adams
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb

I was wondering the same thing re: two player game. However, I noticed that the box I saw advetized says 3-6 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
elfrododumbo wrote:

I was wondering the same thing re: two player game. However, I noticed that the box I saw advetized says 3-6 players.

Note sure what box you were looking at, but if you click on this image for the full sized version it says 2-6 (my emphasis)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Cheevers
United Kingdom
Liverpool
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just received this in a math trade and it works fine with two.

I have no doubt that more players will be a lot better but for now while we get used to the game dynamics two player will suffice for Christian and me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.