Popular Tags: [View All]
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We (E & B) pulled out a copy of this to play to fill in some time where no other players were around. After a quick rules explanation (particularly the fiddly two-edges touching placement rules and who farms first) we were off.

Fjords is a nifty combination of tile laying and area control that plays so fast, the basic game is actually 3 complete rounds. In the game, players draw hexagonal tiles with combinations of meadows, mountains and coastline and try to fit them into an existing island/landmass. All pieces must touch on at least two sides and match on all touching sides.

Placing tiles doesn't get you any points, but for each tile you lay you have a chance to permanently place one of your four viking-style wooden farm houses on it. These will be the starting points of your farming phase. After all the tiles have been placed, the players take turns placing a field disc on an empty tile with meadow adjacent to any of their houses or existing fields. The final score for each round is how many discs are actually placed.

B had played the game several times before and was willing to plonk a farm down almost anywhere it looked like a clear region. In the first game E was far too picky about waiting for the perfect tile that she only got a single farm in play. That round B: 20 fields + spare spots, E 5.

In the second round, E got several more farms out and having seen all the tiles was a little better able to judge how difficult particular gaps were to fill. She tried to consolidate her holdings in one third of the board and never took the advantage of a useful tile to paratroop one of her farms into a contested region. Once the fields started going down it was relatively easy for B to cut her off from a large chunk of the island and get 19 fields down to her 12.

In the third round E experimented with aggressive adjacent house placements and placing tiles both into her claimed regions as well as trying to avoid opening up opportunities for counter-placements. This round was much tighter and almost every field placement was a struggle of seizing opportunities to block or trying to extend into more vulnerable regions. in short, it was great fun. This round had B at 16 and E at 18 farms.

Once people have figured out the game, single field differences can be really and placing an extra farm house, while giving more control oppotunities, also takes away a space that could contain a field later.

Final scores, were E 33 and B 55. It's never going to be that far apart again. Fjords is a terrific little game for the space and time it takes and everyone should own a copy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mont A.
United States
Carbondale
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thepackrat wrote:
Fjords is a terrific little game for the space and time it takes and everyone should own a copy!

I couldn't agree more! And it's cheap too: my fiancee and I even use it as a stocking stuffer--makes a nice little gift. Glad you enjoyed it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Svein Main
Norway
Joerpeland
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I enjoy the cover more than the game. Its from my backyard, Preikestolen, or Pulpit rock as its also called. A wonderful cliff hanging 1800 feet abowe the sea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Svein Tonnessen
Norway
Jorpeland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
He he he....

I can understand that. Your winner-statistics are terrible in this game, you poor looser
But of course - our little rock in the mountainside is a real beauty...
http://www.stavanger-web.com/touristinfo/prekestol.htm

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.