Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tom Anderson
United States
Mentor
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just opened up my new copy of Dominion: Intrigue and noticed the rulebook contains some new info....ANOTHER EXPANSION!!! Here is what the cover of the rulebook says word for word:
"Dominion: Seaside is an expansion and can be played with either Intrigue or the basic game (or both)! You will get 26 new Kingdom cards, plus some additional components that work with the new options offered by Seaside. Seaside will not be a complete game and will not have the complete set of treasure cards as the basic game and Intrigue do. Thus, you will need to have Intrigue or the basic game to play Seaside!"
YES it says 26 kingdom cards, YES it said additional components!

CANNOT WAIT!!:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Goetz
United States
West Hartford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Though I knew about the existence of Seaside and its lack of treasure, etc., "basic" cards, this is the first I've heard of additional components. Of course, I suppose I will have to wait until near Essen for more on this, though
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
McDog
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JovenShadowcaster wrote:
Noble of you to share that with us. Now the bad news...
... It's old news. We've known about Seaside for a while now. It's due out around this holiday season. The designer, Donald X, has also mentioned that there are plans for 4 MORE expansions after Seaside.
You didn't know, so I didn't want to burst your bubble too harshly. After all, it's the thought that counts.

Side note: where did you get yours at? Seems late for Origins, and the street date here in the US is reportedly July 10th... and I'm biting my nails for my pre-order copy.

Was nice of him to share but yes, it's like announcing "Secretariat has huge lead on the back stretch!"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am sad that this great card game is getting non-card based components.

Whatever the components are, I would prefer if they were just printed on cards to make up the slack for the treasure/VP/curse cards not being included.

Extra bits seems like this would get fiddly quickly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
byronczimmer wrote:

It's a tragedy! Quick, let's start a petition against non-card based components, that will ruin the game. We need to do it soon, if we wait to find out what the components are, it will be way too late.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1603-1714
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
Now I can add text to my avatar? Sweet! How do I do it?
mbmbmbmbmb
byronczimmer wrote:

Whatever the components are, I would prefer if they were just printed on cards to make up the slack for the treasure/VP/curse cards not being included.

All we know is that Seaside will come with "additional components" other than Kingdom Cards. There has been no official mention of whether these will be cards or woodem pieces or whatever. I expect they are cards (similar to Curses) but we'll have to wait and see. I know the Confusion card has been brought up a few times.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cagriggs wrote:
byronczimmer wrote:

All we know is that Seaside will come with "additional components" other than Kingdom Cards. There has been no official mention of whether these will be cards or woodem pieces or whatever. I expect they are cards (similar to Curses) but we'll have to wait and see. I know the Confusion card has been brought up a few times.

Given that every other mention of the 'additional cards' (treasure, vp, curses, trash) have been as 'additional cards', I believe it is very safe to say that the 'additional components' will not be cards.

I am hoping I am incorrect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Manning
Australia
Adelaide
South Australia
flag msg tools
designer
err... I like boardgames!?!
badge
D'oh! I bought overtext even though I have nothing interesting to say.
mbmbmbmbmb
byronczimmer wrote:

Extra components? "Dominion: The Catapult" anyone?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Stonebraker

Georgia
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LOL - I was going to suggest the Catapult.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schenck
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
GO BUCKS!
badge
Stop touching me!
mbmbmbmbmb

In related news, Generalissimo Francisco Franco is still dead.

For those too young to get the reference: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Generalissimo_Francisco_Franco_...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysiek
Poland
flag msg tools
badge
Catapult would be *much* better with the custom poker-chip version...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anders Gabrielsson
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Not so strange considering there is no entry for the Seaside expansion here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Farr
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, for what it's worth, I didn't know about the Seaside expansion, and appreciate your post. Perhaps that's because I don't spend as much time reading up on games as clearly I should, in order to avoid derision when people discover that I found something out only after they did. That is clearly worthy of scorn, even more so if it's quite a long time after they did.

Now, if you didn't first take the time to search for another post regarding this expansion, instead posting it all friendly and innocent-like, expecting that fellow gaming enthusiasts will take it in their stride, you are really in for it. As you have discovered, you are expected to know this stuff at more or less the same time everyone else does. You may only post it if you can verify that you are the very first.

God forbid you have other things to do, or on your mind, and do not afford these games and everything around them your full attention, missing crucial information like this.

I am not ashamed to say that I don't even get the analogy to the "Chancellor (or whatever it was) being strong on the home stretch", other than being able to infer from the context that it is supposedly obvious. I don't play the game as much and/or take the game as seriously as is required to do so, having played only a few times, always with new players and always with the suggested starting decks.

You would think we should be more encouraging. I can't see how it helps to dampen the enthusiasm shown in your post. You enjoy yourself, mate. Look forward to that expansion, as I will. I really don't care if I only find out about an expansion when I see it on the store shelf. Sure, it undermines my credibility as a gamer here, but nobody will have to know if I just refrain from posting and rather read all the posts by those in the know. That's what makes this site so great.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schenck
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
GO BUCKS!
badge
Stop touching me!
mbmbmbmbmb
Way to preach it, Buzz.
laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
McDog
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh Mark, when someone states they've got some exciting news that been discussed at length for many weeks there is bound to be some good natured ribbing. I don't think anybody really ripped the poor fellow. I agree with his excitement over the fact there is more expansions on the horizon. I really enjoy the game myself so it should be fun.

edit:

Mark, forgot to include this....here's the info on "Chancellor/Secretariat"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secretariat_(horse)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wolfe
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Zendo fan, Columbus Blue Jackets fan, Dominion Fan.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If I may be so bold as to make a suggestion:

When posting to a forum that's new to you or that you only occasionally visit, it's best to assume that the people there know more than you do. If you say, "I just discovered this thing, what else can you tell me?" you will often learn even more new and exciting details. If it turns out that what you post is actually news, the forum regulars will be more excited than you are. Either way, you win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eagle-Eyed Superhawk
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
Oh, America, what have you done.
mbmbmb
It was news to me, Tom, thanks for the post.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Anderson
United States
Mentor
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ah yes, I just saw the post on the Dominion forum... ah well. I was able to pick up my copy of Intrigue at Origins on Saturday. it took me a few days to open it up and get it to the table. Thanks for the opinions and the correction!

I think that the extra components could be really cool if they are well thought out and add even more depth to the experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Anderson
United States
Mentor
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the info... I am still new to the hobby and forums in general.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
McDog
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Steletma wrote:
Thanks for the info... I am still new to the hobby and forums in general.

Well, all earlier kidding aside welcome to the hobby! Sounds like you enjoy Dominion as much as I do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grzegorz Kobiela
Germany
Hanover
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Editor at Lookout Games
mbmbmbmbmb
Seaside will definitely come with water hexes, wooden ships and a pirate. robot
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gunther Schmidl
Austria
Linz
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Ponton wrote:
Seaside will definitely come with water hexes, wooden ships and a pirate. robot

A ZOMBIE pirate!

...robot monkey ninja.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felix Rodriguez
United States
Somerville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Thanks to the OP. I didn't know they had set 26 cards already. I though the number was still in flux. And I certainly did not know about these mysterious new components.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hubert Orlik-Grzesik
Poland
Studzionka
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmb
czwarty wrote:
Catapult would be *much* better with the custom poker-chip version ...

The custom poker-chip version would be *much* better with the catapult ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Branko K.
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's a sneak preview of the mysterious new Seaside components:

Snazzy, aye? I wonder what they do...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.