Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Escape Pod Games
United States
Bristow
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Gunship: First Strike Coming Soon to your Gaming Table!
mbmbmbmbmb
PLEASE I beg of you to stop until July 31st!

By publically posting all of these new races and powers for Smallworld you are potentially destroying the hard work and playtesting of people who are trying to win this thing.

I understand that you have every right to do what you are doing and that DOW purposely put the blank tokens in the game to inspire us, but consider our efforts for just one month.

I had a great idea and spent hours of design time on it and now I see the very same idea here. Now I feel like I will be accused of theft IF my idea were to win (not that it will but it has as good a chance as the next guy) or DOW may even check here to see what's already been mentioned and I had my idea WAY before digging around here.

Just about every possible special power and race has been listed and discussed on this site. I see no way for any original idea to win at this point and that is a major shame. Worst case scenario is that peopel are going to simply copy ideas found here (possibly YOURS) and flood DOW with multiples. This creates a situation where the winner is picked randomly - ugh.

Please think about what I'm trying to say -I am not trying to be a whiner or a buzzkill but there is a contest happening and why not send your ideas to DOW for a chance at a cool prize instead of throwing them around here for free? Now its back to the drawing board for me and I hope I have the time to start all over from scratch.

Thanks for your time. I apologize if I have offended anyone as it was not my intent. Just trying to make everyone aware of this situation so things can be as fair as possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Wow! I don't think you're looking at this the right way.

Duplicate entries are inevitable and I imagine the timing of an entry and probably more importantly play-testing notes will come into play before a random pick.

Anyone who is trying to enhance their copy of the game with custom races and powers is also going to be very proud of what they've come up with. I was encouraged by the chatter on this site and looked over the art that was uploaded before trying my hand at what I thought would be a unique design.

I drew up my contest papers and sent them along about a week before posting my designs here. I had a hard time waiting. I wanted people's feedback (positive and negative) and I wanted to give everyone else the chance to play-test the designs. I am very proud of my entry as well as my contributions to this site.

I want to see more, not less, and I don't think it hurts the contest in the very least.

------
It might hurt the expansions sales though.

Depending on what they ultimately choose of coarse.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
strafingrungames wrote:
Just about every possible special power and race has been listed and discussed on this site.

See also:
"Everything that can be invented has been invented."
Charles H. Duell, Commissioner, U.S. patent office, 1899
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Thompson
United States
Homewood
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
New Race: Buzzkillers
New special Power: offensive

Discuss amongst yourselves...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Adams
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb

I have not posted anything of any significance re: SW, but surely new ideas from players might help and not hinder your plans. Feedback is productive and cannot interfere in your preconceived plan or am I wrong in thinking so.

Regards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Escape Pod Games
United States
Bristow
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
whoa guys - no need for any hard feelings. Us gamers need to stick together.

I'm just tense and anxious about the contest. I Thought I had a brilliant and unique idea and got a little freaked out when I found that 10 other people think just like me (I suppose great minds think alike, eh?)

Many of your posts were probably made before the design contest was even announced or without knowledge of it. I see a lot of excellent ideas and I hate to see anyone's hard work taken from here and used to win a contest that the original designer should have won - that's all.

I 100% support the ideal of creating new pieces and rules to enhance our gaming in a free forum. My post seems to go against that but that was not my intent. I encourage those of you who were not aware of the contest to go ahead and enter with my sincerest wishes of good luck.

If nothing else, you guys are forcing me to give my mind a thorough work-out! I am determined to come up with something totally unique for my special power entry. I'll keep my race since only one of you thought of it and it was somewhat different than what I had in mind.

Please forgive me and Good Gaming!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
People come up with similar ideas all the time. Case in point a while back I came up with an idea for a game, a poker game with an auction where you bid on your cards. then a few months later I see that a game is coming out soon called Rapscallion with the very same idea. shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Escape Pod Games
United States
Bristow
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chessduffer wrote:
People come up with similar ideas all the time. Case in point a while back I came up with an idea for a game, a poker game with an auction where you bid on your cards. then a few months later I see that a game is coming out soon called Rapscallion with the very same idea. shake

I guess my point was like this:

Let's say that you had intended to MARKET your idea for this game. Would you have posted it here for anyone in the world to potentially see and possibly develop? probably not because you would want to keep the idea secret until you had developed it into a product.

Now, how would you feel if you were to find out that this Rapscallion was produced by someone from BGG that had read your idea and decided to run with it? Or consequently, would it please you to have had this idea and THEN come to BGG and see that it had already been thought of (assuming that you had intended to market it).

I suppose where I erred was in assuming (and yes I know what happens when you assume) that everyone here cared or even knew about the contest. I also either underestimated the gaming community in general or overestimated my own creativity. When I saw all of my ideas already in various stages of playtest it was somewhat of a shock. Even my "back-up" ideas and my Top Secret No One Else Could Possibly Have Thought of This idea were on display.

But the meds have kicked in and I have thought up a few new ones for DOW. But there's no way I'm going back into those threads until I have signed the papers and mailed that sucker!

I think this situation is rather unique in that we always put all of our ideas and house rules out there and there are usually no contests going on to pit our gamer-ness vs. our greed. This is a good thing because if there was always a contest and potential for prizes, good ideas would soon become hidden away and no one would benefit but the game companies. Sorry that I fed into that mentality for a bit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Escape Pod Games
United States
Bristow
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cferejohn wrote:
strafingrungames wrote:
Just about every possible special power and race has been listed and discussed on this site.

See also:
"Everything that can be invented has been invented."
Charles H. Duell, Commissioner, U.S. patent office, 1899

An excellent point, sir. What I should have said was that every OBVIOUS special power and race had been posted. Anyone entering this contest is going to have to dig deep if they want to win (as it should be)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Calahan
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chessduffer wrote:

eh? We had a variant at my weekly poker game that was exactly that. And that was like 15 years ago. Nothing new under the sun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zoe M
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
I wear my Halloween costume all year round!
mbmbmbmbmb
I had the same response when I saw all the race and special power abilities posted here. I calmed down when I realized that there really aren't that many ideas posted here and most of them are pretty basic (and some of them are way too complicated).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Wolff
United States
poulsbo
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For what it's worth, I had the same thought the original poster had. The legitimacy of my "ownership" of my designs would take quite a hit if another player out there posted essentially the same idea and then I submitted it to the contest. I lucked out, since none of the ideas already posted were like the ones I was testing and submitting.

In the interest of others who may have had similar ideas in the works, however, I have withheld posting my ideas to BGG until after the contest.

I wouldn't use a word like "KILLING" in my title, however...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Escape Pod Games
United States
Bristow
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lol - what's wrong with the word "killing" as applied to a contest (not a person) ?

I meant it in the tone of "you guys are KILLING independent George" (a Seinfeld quote)

Anyway, I am glad to see that at least a couple of people felt the same way, albeit perhaps not as strongly as I originally did...

Oh well - deadline has been reached, I believe my idea is somewhat safe and I am keeping my fingers crossed. Got my submission out this morning just ahead of the deadline. Only one person on the Geek had a similar idea and he took it a different direction than I did. Not even sure if he sent it or not.

Good Luck to everyone who entered - can't wait to see who wins and what new stuff we'll be getting in the expansion this fall.

If I win, free signatures for all! lol

Steve

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Wolff
United States
poulsbo
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Anything that can be justified by a Seinfeld quote works for me. All is forgiven
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.