Andrew C
United States
San Marcos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey guys - sorry this isn't exactly boardgame related, but my two sons and I just finished up playing an Xbox (not 360) game called Dungeon's and Dragons: Heroes.

This game was great because all three of us could play cooperatively in the campaign, each as a hero. I'm looking for other games that three people can play cooperatively, either split screen, or as with Heroes, all on the same screen, and all on one local xBox 360 system, not online.

The only other option I know about is Marvel Alliance, which they don't seem to like for some reason (even though it is so similar).

Any ideas or suggestions? Xbox 360 games, or 1st gen xBox games that will play on a 360 are fine.

edit:

Mostly looking for action/adventure/first person shooters, not sports or music (i.e. Rock Band) type games.

edit2:

I know there are a lot of 2 player co-ops, but I'm only looking for 3 player co-op's here.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff
United States
Natick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I want to believe
badge
*distinctive theme song whistle*
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played it, but you might look at Monster Madness. I thought it looked fun, but I just never have enough people around to make it worth picking up. I think it's really cheap, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul O'Connor
United States
San Marcos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This list will help you see what's out there:

http://www.co-optimus.com/system/1/xbox_360.html

Not sure I can offer a specific recommendation. Maybe Kung Fu Panda or Viva Pinata.

My boys are mad for Left 4 Dead but I should probably be in jail because of it.

Have you guys tried Castle Crashers? http://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/c/castlecrashersxboxlivearca...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve L.
United States
Lincoln
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Do they have Gauntlet Dark legacy for the original Xbox?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Strand
United States
Hollywood
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmb
Can you get online to download arcade games? You can play them locally, but need to DL them first. If so, I agree with Castle Crashers, but there are some cheap local multiplayer games you can get, so download a bunch of demos and see if any look good to you.

If not, I think the best options would probably be Monster Madness or a wrestling game for shared screen co-op. I know there are some more X-Men type of games, but if they didn't like one already... If you have a big enough tv that you are ok playing split screen, then you should consider games like Halo 3 and Call of Duty 4.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiffany Smith
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maggot_Skin wrote:
Do they have Gauntlet Dark legacy for the original Xbox?

Gauntlet Dark Legacy was indeed released for the Xbox! It is one of my favorite games of all time! Here's the wikipedia page on it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gauntlet_Dark_Legacy in case you'd like to read about it before you try to find it.

It's a fairly simple dungeon crawl, but I played it with three people (or four sometimes) and it was pretty cool. The graphics are disappointing when compared with today's games, but I guess I will always have a nostalgic place I hold Gauntlet Dark Legacy.

The main problem my group had when we played this game co-op was that since the party is all in one screen, some times one member of the party would get stuck somewhere and we'd have to backtrack for a while to get back to them.

I would highly second this recommendation for a game that's an addictive co-op.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David C
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mb
if you can get it, Champions of Norrath is probably exactly what you're looking for, but it's a PS2 game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
X-Men Legends 1 and 2 are fun and stylish four-player gauntlet styles games for the original Xbox.

Edit: Which I should mention that Ultimate Alliance is somewhat of a spiritual successor to those games, so take my recommendation with a grain of salt.

I also enjoyed the Hunter series on the original XBox for more gauntlet-style action.

Halo 3 (first person shooter) for the 360 has a great up to four player splitscreen campaign if you don't have that in your house already.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew C
United States
San Marcos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the recommendations all!

Juomes wrote:
Halo 3 (first person shooter) for the 360 has a great up to four player splitscreen campaign if you don't have that in your house already.

Really? I have Halo 1-3, and they are my boys favorite games, they play two player co-op all the time. I didn't think you do three player co-op though - once you get to three players I think its only deathmatch. I'll check again to be sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Branham
United States
Duluth
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
New Dia die Los Muertos. Lighter, sillier, and Stickers.
mbmbmbmbmb
The old Baldurs Gate Dark Alliance for the original Xbox supports 4. It is better than Gauntlet and D&D Heroes.

The original xbox port of Serious Sam supports 4 as well. A new update visual version is coming to Live Arcade soon.

The recent Sacred 2 only stops at 2 locally (other players need to be remote), but it is the best Diablo clone to ever hit a console.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelo Arezzi
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I play with my wife and my 11 year old daughter, and I have to heartily agree with the Xmen Legends games. I would suggest that 2 was a lot better than one though. Too often early on in one, only one of the 3 players had to take care of something while the others looked on. It seemed much smoother and keeping everyone involved in 2, so I'd say it was a great pickup for about 5 dollars at the used video game store. It was also good that players could drop in or out, that way we could keep advancing the game, even if one of us had to head to bed or start getting dinner ready.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin J
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If your Xbox 360 is online, the XBLA game Aegis Wing is a free download, and I had a pretty fun time with it. It's not very long, and perhaps a bit too hectic for some, but the price is right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Barrett
United States
Lake Forest Park
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Lego Star Wars
Lego Indiana Jones
Lego Batman

All are 2-player co-operative but players can drop in and out at random and switch out available characters. My 2 boys and I take turns playing these together.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Loc Nguyen
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Halo 3 can support 4 player co-op.

I'm anxiously waiting for Marvel Alliance 2 this fall so you can probaly get the first one for cheap. But make sure you get the gold or platnium hits edition with more (and better) characters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Anderson
United States
Midlothian
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I agree so much with the suggestions of Castle Crashers (and other download-from-XBLA-games) that I want donate to you a free one-month subscription to XBLA.

I got a card for 1 free month when my latest Xbox 360 returned from the red-ring-of-death-hospital and I would love to pass it on to you. The free month should give you adequate time to research and download a few arcade titles that will be playable without going online after that.

If you are interested, send me a geekmail and I will reply with the access code.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John W
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SpeedRacer - you rock.
That's very generous of you.
(And if Andrew doesn't want it, I'd ask for it for my son)

To the OP:
I totally understand what you're looking for (local co-op is a favorite of mine, as well), but I'm afraid that gaming companies have deliberately turned away from that co-op game style.
It's (mostly) all about the multiplayer online now, (especially for the XBox) probably due to the amounts of money that XBox live generates (I'm sure the developers that design for Live get a cut of it one way or another).

Of the 1-4 player local co-op games, I'd say the best most obvious example is Marvel Ultimate Alliance.
Unfortunately, you say they didn't like that one.
I'd give it another try, because from a gameplay standpoint it really is the obvious and best 360 game in that genre. (You don't need the gold version, since the normal version is available for less than $10 easily on EBay. Get the double-pack with Forza Motorsport 2 for a great deal.

Fantastic Four Rise of the Silver Surfer is similar gameplay as M:UA, but not as good.
Unfortunately, XMen Legends 1 and 2 are inexplicably NOT EMULATED for XBox 360 (!)

Castle Crashers is the obvious XBLA game that gives you the gameplay you're looking for. Nice thing is, the demo will tell you clearly whether you want the full game.

Whoa! Your profile says your boys are 8 and 5. That changes things quite a bit.
My sons are 8 1/2, and 2 so I get where you're coming from.
Here's my take:

I'd get M:UA and keep it for when your older boy soon will like it (get Forza2 in the cheap double-pack for yourself).
Get Lego Indy and Kung-Fu Panda in the cheap double-pack. If they haven't tried a Lego game, Lego Indy is a great intro to the 2-player drop-in drop-out co-op goodness. The 2 boys can play and you can watch/assist with ideas/encouragement, or you can switch off between you 3. If they like that one, get Lego Star Wars Complete Trilogy.
I would definately get the Castle Crashers demo (as long as you don't mind some blood) and see how they go for it.
I would highly recommend Feeding Frenzy 2 for you and your boys - try the demo to make sure, but I predict they'll love the multiplayer co-op and competetive mini-games.
Also get the latest XBLA co-op game, Rocket Riot. The demo has lots of levels and gameplay for 1-4 players that will let you know whether you want to buy it or not. Heck, just play the demo - there's enough gameplay in it.
Ooh! You hit the jackpot with Dash of Destruction. I forget if it has up to 3 players, but I know it has up to 2 players, and it's FREE! The boys should like it.
Hint - You play as the doritos truck and have them chase you as the T-Rex. Let them catch you, with much wail and anguish at them "catching daddy"

My oldest son inexplicably didn't like Monster Madness, even though I thought it would be a natural.

Hope these help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Ma
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gauntlet and Baldur's Gate 1 and 2 for the original Xbox are solid.

There's also a downloadable dungeon crawl on Xbox Live that's okay...I forget the name (not Castle Crashers, which I haven't tried).

Sacred 2 for the 360/PS3 is fantastic, but that's only 2 players offline.

But if you get a PS2, Champions of Norrath 1 and 2 are phenomenal. Worth getting the PS2 for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin J
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Speedracer513 wrote:
I agree so much with the suggestions of Castle Crashers (and other download-from-XBLA-games) that I want donate to you a free one-month subscription to XBLA.

Perhaps what you mean is that you are offering a one month subscription to Xbox Live Gold? Everyone has access to purchase games on Xbox Live Arcade via a free Silver account. The Gold account is only necessary to play XBLA games online with other users; local co-op is always an option for Castle Crashers as well as many other XBLA games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew C
United States
San Marcos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks everyone for your comments and suggestions. It appears that 3+ local co-op games are as rare as I feared!

Speedracer - thanks for the offer of the 1 month of Xbox Live, I appreciate it but dont need it as I have an ongoing membership (that I never even use since my Xbox isn't even connected to the internet - man I should really cancel that).

Anyway, I think I'll try to get the boys to try Marvel Alliance again - although they have mentioned starting over with Heroes and trying new characters I'm fairly sure they'll get bored pretty quickly.

Then again, they never seem to get tired of Halo - my five (err, wait, six year old - his birthday was yesterday) fired up Halo 3 as I left for work today.

[Generally I only let them play 'T' and under games, but I make an exception for Halo 1-3 since the violence is mild - really the only issue is the swearing. Plus its their favorite game, bar none, including all their Wii games.]

Back to the topic at hand, I've tried Baldur's Gate with them but for some reason it ran really sloooow in the 360 - bad emulation I guess? Anyone else have this problem?

Champions of Norrath sounds good - is the PS3 backward compatible? I've been looking for an excuse to buy one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Anderson
United States
Midlothian
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Cool.

Only certain models of the PS3 are backwards compatible (mostly the first models) - but that may be changing pretty soon
(see: http://g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/696990/Could-All-PlayStati...)

The new Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles XBLA game looks like what you're looking for too:
http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/action/teenagemutantninjatur...;title;1
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Brute Force for the original X-Box is 360 compatible and can play four player co-op. Its a third person shooter; no idea if the content is age appropriate or not (got it, never got around to playing it).

Perfect Dark Zero doesn't have a cooperative story mode has a cooperative story mode, but only for two players. You can play skirmishes against bots as a team however. An M rated game though - content looks about the same violence level as Halo, except you're fighting people rather than aliens.

Someone mentioned Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance for the original X-Box - that's odd, mine only plays 2.

Tough criteria! I have a really hard time just finding 2 player cooperative games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Schleicher
United States
Farmington Hills
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
StormKnight wrote:
Brute Force for the original X-Box is 360 compatible and can play four player co-op. Its a third person shooter; no idea if the content is age appropriate or not (got it, never got around to playing it).

Perfect Dark Zero doesn't have a cooperative story mode, but you can play skirmishes against bots as a team. An M rated game though - content looks about the same violence level as Halo, except you're fighting people rather than aliens.

The level of Brute Force violence vs Halo is pretty similar. What is nice about Brute Force is that the four different characters have a different expertise.

PDZ does have specific missions that you can play co-op, but I don't remember if that is on the same console if it has to be online.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, I really said that badly on PDZ. The story missions are playable completely cooperatively, but only with two players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.