Hide
10 Posts

Pax Baltica» Forums » Rules

Subject: Replacements rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Johan Herber
msg tools
The replacement rules are central to the game but very unclear.

1) At the start of the year, are Replacement Points received per the current value on the Replacement Table into a separately tallied Replacement Point Pool?

2) Can Replacement Points not used in a year carry over to the next?

3) Can blocks in the Replacement Pool be placed on the map in the yearly "place replacements" (or do theý need actions to be placed)?

4) If blocks can be placed as per 3), can they be placed with more than one step (at appropriate cost)?

5) I guess Replacement Points received at the start of the year can be saved, to be used to replace steps in on-map blocks, right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Ekström
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
designer
ALWAYS THINKING ON GAMES
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1) As rule 5.0 states: You draw blocks from your replacement pool, pay for each step on the block with RP´s(Replacement Points) from the Replacement table. -Remenmber that Regiments cost 1 per step and Armys 2- .When all your RP´s are lost you may not draw any further block from your replacement pool.

2)No

3)No Action cost. They are new units that are deployed as per rule 9.0 (national deployment) and as long as they are in supply.

4)Yes - Since you build your blocks when you draw them from your replacement pool, it is up to you to fully build your blocks before you place them on the map.

5)No, Replacement Points not used during the Activation and Replacements-phase (at the start of the year) are lost.
-This needs to be clarified in the 1.1 rules that we are about to update.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Herber
msg tools
So no Replacement Points are necessary when using an action to replace a step?

Replacement Point gains and losses through events, are they permanent (ie affecting all following years replacements and ultimately victory conditions) or temporary?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Ekström
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
designer
ALWAYS THINKING ON GAMES
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Scheremetjev wrote:
So no Replacement Points are necessary when using an action to replace a step?

Correct. (As per 3.2 and 3.45)

Scheremetjev wrote:
Replacement Point gains and losses through events, are they permanent (ie affecting all following years replacements and ultimately victory conditions) or temporary?

They are not permanent. As each Natinal Event says: "...during forthcoming year." This means next year only.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Johansson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
I spent 200 GG and all I got was this lousy overtext!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another question re: replacements; who deploys new blocks first? The question came up today when the Danes wanted to see where the Swedes deployed before deploying their Bergenhus block (the one that deploys in Norway), while the Swedes wanted to see where that went before deploying theirs.

We simply diced off for it but I wondered it there's an actual rule?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Ekström
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
designer
ALWAYS THINKING ON GAMES
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All players reinforce simultaneously.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Muldoon (silentdibs)
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
leffesteff wrote:
All players reinforce simultaneously.

This really doesn't work. Imagine the Danes and Swedes building simultaneously, it makes a huge difference whether the Danes put out the Norwegian block first.

As an on-the-spot house rule, we performed replacements in order of most RPs to least (which meant Russia, Sweden, Denmark in our game of "Next Stop Moscow").

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Ekström
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
designer
ALWAYS THINKING ON GAMES
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If the Danes goes first and place their Norwegian block in the north they leave Christiania and its vital port open to be besieged by the Swedes. Not smart!. So placement of the Norwegian block is rather natural (and historical).
If the Swedes goes first, the Danes most surely want to protect the best line of support and that is ....the Christiania harbour.

So it is actually up to the Danish player to defend Norway or not!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Johansson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
But the Danes may be willing to take some risks if all the Swedish army blocks are away in Russia (as regiments can't besiege Christiania). I suppose one can do it double-blind if it matters.

Another q that came up: the rules say new blocks can't deploy in "battle territories". There should be no actual battles ongoing in the replacements phase, but does this mean one can't deploy reinforcements in friendly-garrisoned but enemy-occupied territories? This is particularly likely to happen to the Estländska block which often sees Russian blocks camping around Reval.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Ekström
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
designer
ALWAYS THINKING ON GAMES
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Orcoteuthis wrote:
But the Danes may be willing to take some risks if all the Swedish army blocks are away in Russia (as regiments can't besiege Christiania). I suppose one can do it double-blind if it matters.

Yes, that is the gamble. The swedish player cant leave his whole flank open.

Orcoteuthis wrote:
Another q that came up: the rules say new blocks can't deploy in "battle territories". There should be no actual battles ongoing in the replacements phase, but does this mean one can't deploy reinforcements in friendly-garrisoned but enemy-occupied territories? This is particularly likely to happen to the Estländska block which often sees Russian blocks camping around Reval.

Correct. Army and Regiment blocks can not just pop up in friendly garrisoned territories where the enemy is standing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.