Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gunnar Braaten
Norway
Oslo
Oslo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just got my copy today, and rushed over to a couple of friends to try it out.

Executive summary
This expansion is a great addition to "Race for the Galaxy". If you like the game, buy it.

[/COLOR]
Background
This review is based on a lot of studying the new cards and reading about this expansion here on The Geek. I have only played two real world games. It is more a collection of thoughts than a thorough review.

Start world setup
The new rule for selecting start world and starting hand is a good one. It makes the game less dependent on the luck of the draw. The random initial draw is now almost all about variety - giving you a different start in every game. It is not about getting a good starting hand. You can win with any starting hand, it is all about how you play it. You are now more in control of how you want to play. At the same time it gives you just about the right amount of randomness to keep things interesting. There is a very nice balance in the number of cards to draw and discard.

Takeovers
In the two games we played no takeovers occurred, but the mere possibility of takeovers adds an extra layer of tension to the game. It can be nail biting at the start of a round, when no one has yet revealed their starting world, to decide if you want to go military or not. "What are my opponents thinking?" And an arms race through the game is even more thrilling.

Card mix
There are many low cost cards in the mix (18 costing 0, 1 or 2), not as many medium cost (10 costing 3 or 4), and almost as many high cost cards (14 costing 5 or more) - with 3 of these going higher than any card before. This card mix will add to both a rush-type of tactic, and also for the times you want to get some big ones into your tableau. I like the way two extremes are given more attention. Again more variety is added.

Developments
With cards like Galactic Bankers, Pan-Galactic Research, Galactic advertisers and Galactic Saloon I am thinking that a strategy with almost only Developments is more viable. It means yet another extreme that is given some attention.

Component quality
I know there has been some rumors, but I can't feel or see any difference between these cards and the old ones. The components are sturdy and look great. The new military slides makes the counting of military much easier. It is indeed a very user friendly game, considering the overall complexity.

New Goals
I have no particular thoughts on this, other than this too adds variety. Which brings me to the summary:

Summary
The expansion adds variety while keeping the balance. That is impressive. And fun to play. It is about opening up new strategies, and giving you more choices. This expansion will also increase the level of interaction, which I greatly appreciate.

Bonus: A hint about the next expansion
Already looking forward to the next expansion, partly because of this sentence in the rules for "Rebel vs Imperium":
"A player with either no military worlds [...] is not vulnerable to takeovers (in this expansion)." The key words of course being "in this expansion". I expect even more interaction and havoc the next time around. I can't wait!

What do you think of this expansion, do you agree or disagree with me on some point. Or do you have some other thoughts to share?

Happy gaming, Gunnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Prickett
United States
Canton
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking forward to the next expansions, need to play more so I am tired of these before the new ones come out.

You didn't mention the sentence in the "ADDING CARDS AND GOALS" section:

"Ignore the symbols (*) and next to the victory point hex on some cards; these are for future expansions."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Børge N
Norway
Porsgrunn
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for a nice overview. I can't wait to see if I can pick it up in a Norwegian game store soon..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clement Tey
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Seems like this expansion is not for me at this moment. Still feeling the base game + TGS varied and replayable enough. Will get this when that grows stale.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Reubens
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

After picking up my copy at Origins we played about 20 games. The expansion seems great but we didnt bother playing with takeovers. One of our players was very new, which was our excuse, but in truth most of us think the idea of takeovers subtracts more from the game than it adds. They seems as though they will hardly ever come up and thus when they do they will suck all the more. I am glad that the concept of takeovers on/off was included right in the rules and did not require a house rule debate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maël Brustlein
France
Lyon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thaos52002 wrote:
They seems as though they will hardly ever come up and thus when they do they will suck all the more.

As said before on these forums, the threat is more important than its realization. But you're entitled to have your own opinion, obviously.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gunnar Braaten
Norway
Oslo
Oslo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree Maël! To both your statements

You have got to play a little bit more carefully when takeovers are active. I feel it actually makes you want to focus on your long term strategy a little more. Either you do military, or you dont.

In a game today, I did my first takeover. I took over a lonely 1 point blue planet, and gave it a happy new life in my tablea For me it was a Rebel planet that gave me 5 extra points (I had two 6? that gave me 2 VP per Rebel). So it did not suck that much at all. And it happened because my friend ignored the threat, and took a chance to play it anyway.

But people do have different tastes. Which is a good thing

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.