Subject: Can play a heal card, even if no heal needed? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
C B
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
5C93 Theoden, King Of The Golden Hall. Text is Manuever: Play a Rohan possession on Theoden to heal a Rohan ally. Can I wait to manuever phase and play a possession on Theoden (to keep that twilight from Shadow phase) even if I have no ally to heal or I have any ally, but he has no wounds? This is a specific example, but in general, the question is if I can play a card if its effect doesn't apply. Another example would be Sam 7R327: "Fellowship: If you have initiative, discard a card from hand to heal Sam". Can I discard a card from hand if I have initiative, even if Sam has no wounds?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will M. Baker
United States
Silverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
My guess would be no, that the full action must be performable, else no part of the action may be performed. The only evidence I have in support of this comes from the computer tutorial, which does not allow me to "Discard Legolas to heal Legolas", for instance, if Legolas has no wounds, even though I might like to discard the card anyway, just to free up my hand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will M. Baker
United States
Silverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
Also, from Comprehensive Rules 4.0, p. 3:

Quote:
You may use each special ability as many times as you like (even repeatedly during the same phase), as long as you meet the requirements for it and pay its costs.

In your examples, I would say that having no ally, or having no ally with wounds means that "the requirements" are not met for Theoden's power.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Everett Scheer
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Warfield wrote:
5C93 Theoden, King Of The Golden Hall. Text is Manuever: Play a Rohan possession on Theoden to heal a Rohan ally. Can I wait to manuever phase and play a possession on Theoden (to keep that twilight from Shadow phase) even if I have no ally to heal or I have any ally, but he has no wounds? This is a specific example, but in general, the question is if I can play a card if its effect doesn't apply. Another example would be Sam 7R327: "Fellowship: If you have initiative, discard a card from hand to heal Sam". Can I discard a card from hand if I have initiative, even if Sam has no wounds?

For all actions in LOTRCCG, You can use an action if and only if you can pay all costs and meet all requirements. You can perform actions even if the effects aren't applicable.

For theodens action, you can wait until the manuever phase to play a (R) possesion on Theoden even if you don't have an ally to heal.

In the Sam example, you must have initiative to use his ability. You do not need to be able to heal Sam.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David F
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
Luck in games, in measured doses, is the catalyst which enables shocking game-changers that you'll remember and talk about forever.
badge
Let the Lord of Chaos rule.
mbmbmbmbmb
Elgar is exactly right!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will M. Baker
United States
Silverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
Elgar wrote:
For all actions in LOTRCCG, You can use an action if and only if you can pay all costs and meet all requirements. You can perform actions even if the effects aren't applicable.

For theodens action, you can wait until the manuever phase to play a (R) possesion on Theoden even if you don't have an ally to heal.

In the Sam example, you must have initiative to use his ability. You do not need to be able to heal Sam.

So shouldn't the computer tutorial allow me to discard a companion from hand to heal a matching companion during the Fellowship phase, even if that companion does not have any wounds? (I've just confirmed that it does not allow this.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian

Washington
msg tools
mbmbmb
darquil wrote:
Elgar wrote:

So shouldn't the computer tutorial allow me to discard a companion from hand to heal a matching companion during the Fellowship phase, even if that companion does not have any wounds? (I've just confirmed that it does not allow this.)

It is correct in not allowing you do so. The requirement is that you must spot a wounded companion in order to heal them.It is considered to be a fellowship action.

From the Comprehensive Rules Document:

Discard to heal: Spot a unique companion or unique ally with at least one wound and discard a card from your hand with the same card title (it may have a different subtitle) to heal that character.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.