Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David G. Cox Esq.
Australia
Lighthouse Beach
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
Do what you can, with what you've got, where you are.
mbmbmbmbmb
La Strada

Designed by Martin Wallace

Wednesday night is one of our two regular game nights. Wednesday tends to be for ‘heavier’ games.

Over the last few weeks we have been playing Age of Steam, Power Grid and Stone Age. This week one of our regulars was unable to attend and we were down to only three players. We started the night with New England – first time for everyone – enjoyed it and played it a second time.

After supper we decided to play La Strada because it takes less than 30 minutes to play.

It is a tile-laying game where players try to connect their workshop to as many settlements as possible. Big settlements pay off more than small settlements and the few people with a market in a settlement the more money the actual occupants receive.

I had played La Strada a couple of times a couple of years ago but Margaret and Rod had never played it before. The rules are simple and were quickly explained – in retrospect I only made one mistake as I forgot that roads must be completed (you can’t have the end of a road dangling in the middle of the countryside).

Rod was the start player and placed his workshop in the middle of three cities. Margaret placed fairly close to Rod and I placed my workshop on the wrong side of the board – I knew I had made a mistake as soon as I had placed it.

The game has a reputation for giving the start player an advantage – this just means that the other players have to be fairly aggressive in their handling of the start player.

Rod won with 33 to my 26 and Margaret’s 23. We hope to play it several times over the next few weeks to see if the start player really is unbeatable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.