Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Molnar
United States
Ridgewood
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
At Richard's pbem server one (or preferably, two) can play a Y variant called Quadrant Y. This is due to Cameron Browne, author of Connection Games. The board is split into four equilateral triangles. The triangles overlap a smidge, which I have indicated by slightly darker shading in this image.

In each of the four smaller triangles, there is a mini game of Y going on, and one larger game taking place on the entire board. The goal is to win the majority of these five subgames.

There is a similar game Quadrant Hex, and also a curious mix of the two called yXy; I have posted about these in the Hex forum.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bush
United States
Radiant
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The grid you chose is of even size, 14 on each side. If the central Y grid overlaps into the shaded area, then that grid is not exactly triangular, and a draw result for that central sub-game is possible. For example, in a game here of orange versus green, the central sub game is a draw:

If you stipulate that the central grid should not overlap into the grey area when the overall grid is of even size, then that sub grid would be a proper triangle, and there would be no draw issue. If the overall grid were of odd length on each side, then the central sub grid could overlap into the shaded area and would still be a proper triangle.

Cool game BTW.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Molnar
United States
Ridgewood
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
good call. I shall fix.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.