Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
jeff ven
Belgium
antwerpen
borgerhout
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going to do a review on tomb, i hope you will enjoy it and for anyone that docent know the game i hope it will shed some light on what it's all about.

Theme
Tomb is a dungeon crawler in every aspect, but unlike other dungeon crawlers, delivers a fast set up and reasonable game play time (about 60 to 80 min).
recruit a party, kill the monsters. take there stuff, thats what it says on the box and thats just what tomb delivers.

Components
Let me tell you tomb is a heavy box, and when i say heavy i really mean HEAVY especially considering the size of the box.
Once you open the box you will see that it is packed full with goodies.
In the box there are 1 board (double sided),the inn board,a bag to put all your characters in (which i think is a nice touch),a character poster, 6 adventuring party markers,84 characters,40 character stands,25 spell deck cards,25 prayer deck cards,25 item deck cards,25 tactic deck cards,200 crypt deck cards, 21 tomb dice (7 green, 7 blue and 7 red) and 48 wound/tomb tokens.
The only thing i think is a little disappointing is the fact that the characters are not models but cardboard prints (but then again i just love miniatures.)
All the components are of excellent quality, printed on nice (real) thick cardboard.
The artwork i very nice, and the bag to put your characters in deserves a + for the effort.

Mechanics
Tomb is a rather easy game to learn, and compared to most dungeon crawlers not overly complicated.
As an example I'm going to take a 2 player game, it doesn't differ that much from a 6 player game but its easier and shorter to explain.
At the start of the game everyone rolls all 7 blue dice, the one with the most hits (Axe symbols) wins, play then passes to the left.
The first thing you do is draw 5 random characters from the character pool (indeed the nice bag they added ).
Then you get to choose one and the rest is placed in the inn for later recruiting.
If you chose a wizard you get to draw 1 spell card from the spell deck, if you chose a cleric you get to draw 1 prayer card from the prayer deck.
If you chose a multi classed character lets say wizard/cleric, you get to draw both 1 spell card and 1 prayer card.
This rule applies every time you recruit a new character in the inn.
Once everybody made there pick of there first character,by drawing the 5 random characters and placing the remaining ones in the in, its time to set up the board.
The board setup is rather easy, the player who got to go first draws 3 card from the crypt deck, then the second player draws 3 cards and so on.
Then the first player gets to put one card in one of the crypts and draws a new one.
There can only be a certain number of cards in a crypt at the same time, as indicated at the entrance of the crypt.
Then the second player puts a card in a crypt and draws a new one, and so on until all the crypts are filled.
The remaining cards go into the crypt cards discard pile.
Now you are ready to play, play starts now with the second player getting the first turn.
During your turn you can do a couple of things, when at the inn you can recruit a character, or draw 2 cards of your will at any order.
Also when you begin your turn at the inn, all wounds dealt to you are immediately healed.
So probably the first couple of rounds you will recruit some members to your party, and try to load them up with gear and spells.
To go into the dungeon cost you your turn as well, just a small detail.
When in the dungeon you can move (up to 10 spaces) per turn.
You can also try to pickpocket one of the characters of a opposing party, if they are within moving range (10 spaces) for that turn and you have a rough character on your party.
To pickpocket someone of a opposing party first declare who it is you are going to steal from.
Then tell them what you are going to steal, then you should make a skill roll with your rough.
Then the opposing player gets to roll a skill check with any character on his party (his choice), the one with the greater amount of victories wins.
In case the attacker wins he gets to steal the loot, i case the other player wins he "catches" the thief and gets 1 attack against him.
Another thing you can do is heal your characters, only a cleric on your party can do this.
He makes a holiness roll and heals that Meany wounds to your party (your choice), this also takes a complete round to do.
Then the most important part of the game, the crypts.
Lets say you would end on the square of a crypt door and you still have movement left, thats to bad you will have to wait until your next turn to enter because you already got your action (moving).
When you enter a crypt the player to your left or right, as indicated on the board takes the cards.
First you encounter the traps, lets just say there is one trap.
The card will tell the cm (crypt master) how many characters can try to disarm it, what roll needs to be made, the tn (target number) that needs to be beaten and the effects the trap will have when it gos off.
The cm tell the player the name of the trap, how many characters he can use and what to use (skill, attack, magic, holiness) and thats it.
Lets say the tn (target number) is skill 5 and 1 character, that means your best chance is to take a rough because most of the time they have a better skill.
You roll and beat the number, now the cm gives the trap card to you and you get to bank it for xp (ill explain this later).
Then after the traps are resolved battle begins, the cm always gos first.
Lets say battle is about to begin, but one of your characters has a react ability that says, when monsters are revealed you get to attack first whit your skill, this counts as your turn for this round.
This means your character gets to go first, and attack with his or her skill dice instead of attack dice.
But later in this round this character will nt get to attack because the card said it counted as your turn for this round.
Lets say you fighting 2 bad guys, one you already killed using the react skill.
Now the other monster is going to attack, you chose a character that is going to defend against the incoming blow.
But before the monster attacks your wizard plays a spell card that reads, react: when a monster is about to act you may use this card to disable him for the rest of this round, thus canceling the attack.
Now you chose your warrior to deliver that fatal blow, he rolls with his attack dice (lets say 1 green 2 blue and 1 red) and adds up any bonuses he gains.
He rolls 3 successes, the enemy has 5 hp (Hit points) so he still has 2 remaining.
But your warrior is equipped with a blade that kills a monsters if it suffers more then 2 wounds from 1 hit, thus killing it.
If a character of yours would die in combat you must put it in the dead pool, and draw a new character that you put in the inn for later recruiting.
All the item cards and other cards that where attached to this character are also discarded.
You get the monsters you have slain and get to bank them right away.
Then you get the remaining treasure from the crypt, you get to chose if you bank it right away or equip it.
If you equip a item and want to bank it later on you need to go to the inn to do this.
The game ends when all crypts have been raided and there are no more cards left.
Then you total up all the xp you have banked and the one with the highest amount wins.

Conclusion
Well my conclusion about Tomb is that its a great dungeon crawler i will be enjoying for many years to come.
Because there are so many cards and characters, no 2 games will be alike.
The art is beautiful, and components of very good quality.
The only down side to the game is the manual, which is very poorly written.
But if you just go to the tomb website and download the FAQ all the answers you might have are solved wright away.
Just a great game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lei Wang
China
Shanghai
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Um, the English rule is something chaos to me. I think it will be good, but my first play has lots of mistake. I want to play it more times with more friends until I understand all the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Walsh
United States
Columbia
Maryland
flag msg tools
I buy science fiction/fantasy book collections in MD/DC/VA. GeekMail me.
badge
I buy science fiction/fantasy book collections in MD/DC/VA. GeekMail me.
mbmbmbmbmb
I recommend to use either the 80's style rulebook by db-one, in the files section, which incorporates a lot of the FAQ, or the new Tomb:Cryptmaster (stand-alone expansion) rule book posted on the AEG website. Both rulebooks are substantial improvements over the original game rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chemist .
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Restating the rules is redundant; a review needs to be critical and have commentary.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeff ven
Belgium
antwerpen
borgerhout
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SDSUChemTA wrote:
Restating the rules is redundant; a review needs to be critical and have commentary.

I dont think that explaining the rules is redundant, since allot of people seem to be confused about the rules.
Not only that but when i want to purchase a new game i like to read the rules first.
Either by reading them in a review (wich i think works best since its easyer explained) or by downloading the pdf.
But everybody is entiteld to there opinion ;)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R Hart
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SDSUChemTA wrote:

Uhm..what is this...

jeff ven wrote:
Conclusion
Well my conclusion about Tomb is that its a great dungeon crawler i will be enjoying for meany years to come.
Because there are so meany cards and characters, no 2 games will be allike.
The art is bautifull, and components of very good quality.
The only down side to the game is the manual, wich is very poorly written.
But if you just go to the tomb website and download the faq all the answers you might have are solved wright away.
Just a great game

Thanks for taking the time to write the review...appreciate it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.