Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Rogers
United States
Yakima
WA
flag msg tools
badge
Receive with simplicity everything that happens to you.
mb

My fellow geeks,

I am once again in need of your expert advice. I'm trying to find a game that will hit that perfect spot as well as the gaming table.

My favorite game is Container and my favorite game that I never play is Indonesia. I'm looking for something with the tactics and player interaction of Container plus the direct conflict of the hostile mergers in Indonesia but without the downtime of the operations phase.

It doesn't have to be an economic game, although I've found that genre more often to my liking than most.

I don't mind deep games but would like something no longer than 2.5hrs. Container normally runs my gaming group between 90-120mins whereas Indonesia takes 4hrs+.

I HATE multi-player solitaire, am not a fan of worker placement, and find that extensive downtime kills momentum. Player AP is problematic but more so when the game is too light as to warrant it.

Here's a link to my geek page http://boardgamegeek.com/geekaccount.php for futher ideas.

Thanks for all the help guys.

-John

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon
United States
Edmond
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
admin
Convention Committee
badge
BGG.CON! BGG.CON SPRING! BGG@SEA!
mbmbmbmbmb
Age of Steam
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Willis
United States
Kathleen
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Masters of Venice (fairly heavy economic game, lots of stuff going on, plays around 30 minutes per player, 2 to 5 players)
Chicago Express (plays in an hour or less, simple rules, deep game play; stock manipulation with a railroad backdrop, best with 3 or 4 players)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Herb Petro
United States
INDIAN TRAIL
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Poisson d'Avril
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David G. Cox Esq.
Australia
Lighthouse Beach
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
Do what you can, with what you've got, where you are.
mbmbmbmbmb
You should try Brass: Lancashire. It is a highly interactive economic game with direct conflict between players.

The game's primary focus is supply and demand. To succeed you will create a demand for a product and then supply that very same demand with your products.

I can't recommend this enough and with experienced players it should take around 90 minutes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron D
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
Mercury is my dog's name.
badge
I like hats.
mbmbmbmbmb
It sounds like you need a good train game.

I would suggest Steam or Chicago Express as both being fantastic games that have the qualities you are looking for and are easily available.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Everingham
United States
Sheridan
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
AnakinOU wrote:

I second this... one of the greatest games available.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Davis
United States
New Concord
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Chicago Express seems possible, maybe a short 18XX game? 18EZ's coming down the pipe, right? And is Steam over Holland readily available anywhere?

Edit: Never mind. Steam over Holland seems difficult to get, at least in the States.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob
United States
flag msg tools
Be sure to taste your words, before you spit them out.
badge
If you climb in the saddle, be ready for the ride.
Another vote for Masters of Venice

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Taj Mahal

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Norman Hedden
United States
Greenville
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Acquire Get the older version too... I've introduced many games to my family, but none gets more table time than this. 200+ plays. Cant get enough Acquire.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Dew
United States
Hinesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oooh. Goood ones. I was going to say a couple other games, but I'll go along with Chicago Express as my strongest recommendation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Weckermann
Canada
Powell River
British Coumbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
recomend
Power Grid Very popular in our game group other than Heroscape Master Set: Rise of the Valkyrie.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Chen
Taiwan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Modern Art
Chicago Express
Stephensons Rocket
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Fisk
United Kingdom
Stoke on Trent
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
Come on you Seagulls! Sami Hyppia's Blue & White army!
badge
That's weird. This bit used to mention Shire Games, and tell you all how wonderful we are. But it seems to have got deleted. Let's see what happens this time ....
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, maybe take a look at Wealth of Nations.

N.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michal E. Cross
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Automobile is another supply and demand game which I recommend.

Cheers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Danzer
Germany
Stuttgart
southwest
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I`d say, get Confucius as fast as you can.

Bribe officials, let the junks sail, invade foreign countries, give gift to your opponents (devil) - win by a single VP.

Highly interactice, unique mechanisms, kind of heavy, but not much downtime ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Broggi
United States
Southwick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A lot of good suggestions have already been made. I'll add Imperial
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren M
Canada
Fort Vermilion
AB
flag msg tools
badge
mb
These are some of the games I think might be good possibilities for what you are looking for:

Age of Steam
Imperial
A Game of Thrones
Taj Mahal
Brass
In the Year of the Dragon

Some of those have already been suggested by others but they are all very good challenging "thinky" games and you are sure to get some great gaming out of them. From what you've described... I would say there is a high chance one of those games might even become "the best game you've ever played".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Rogers
United States
Yakima
WA
flag msg tools
badge
mb

Thanks guys! I went ahead and added many of the games you suggested to my wishlist and will examine them further over the weekend.

Looks likes there are multiple suggestions for Age of Steam/Steam, Chicago Express, Imperial, Masters of Venice, and Brass. I'll start with these.

For those who suggested; I own and like both Modern Art (7) and Power Grid (7) and have played but didn't care for Taj Mahal (4).

Thanks again for all your help and keep the suggestions coming.

-John

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Rogers
United States
Yakima
WA
flag msg tools
badge
mb
duchamp wrote:

Bribe officials, let the junks sail, invade foreign countries, give gift to your opponents (:devil:) - win by a single VP.

Highly interactice, unique mechanisms, kind of heavy, but not much downtime ...

This looks really interesting. How long does it typically play?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I see you like C&C:A, so tactical combat is not a problem for you. How about Conflict of Heroes: Awakening the Bear! – Russia 1941-42? This game has depth, conflict, virtually no downtime, plays within the time range you specify, has plenty of tactics and player interaction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Normandy wrote:
Acquire Get the older version too... I've introduced many games to my family, but none gets more table time than this. 200+ plays. Cant get enough Acquire.

Another YES! for Acquire!! I recently thrifted a 3M 1968 version and played it!!

FANTASTIC!!! It bowled us over completely. It is my 2nd "10"!!! You can read my review here!

Highly recommended classic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Danzer
Germany
Stuttgart
southwest
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
John Rogers wrote:
duchamp wrote:

This looks really interesting. How long does it typically play?

It says 100 minutes, which is correct, in my experience, for three players or four players knowing the game well or a game that ends rather soon. You know, it ends after the 9th round anyway, but can also last only six rounds, if certain conditions are fulfilled, which makes - of course - a difference).

It plays great with 3, IMO, and is the best for getting started and familiar with the mechanics, for it is a bit tough to get into it (you can download the rules from the publishers` website and here in the files - interesting, that the game doesn`t feel so complicated when played, as the rules makes one think. It`s all quite straightforward, if on the table. So, for studying the rules, always have a sidelook on some nice pics from here or read reviews and session reports first ...). Sweet spot is four, but you better calculate two hours for that. Five players is a bit too "uncontrollable", but it depends on the group, if it is fun and a great time or a bit too long then.

So, my advice: Go first through the rules for yourself, then a game with three (two hours first time including going through the rules), then try whatever you like ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
F H
United Kingdom
UK
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Free At Last
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.