Arkham Horror» Forums » General

Subject: Goo for newbies? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mikhail Kainov
Russia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Which GOO would be the best for 1st game, if we want to have a final battle (so no Azathoth)? Ideal - long game to realize what we have to do and etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sithrak - The god who hates you unconditionally
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Normally I'd say Azathoth or Yig, but since you also want to have a longer game, I'd suggest Ithaqua.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
HeTu wrote:
Which GOO would be the best for 1st game, if we want to have a final battle (so no Azathoth)? Ideal - long game to realize what we have to do and etc.

For me, long doom track + final combat with the base game doesn't really give you the best options. Azzy you eliminated , other long doomers (aka 13 doom track) are Cthulhu (kiss ya ass good-bye come final combat) and Hastur (kiss the sealing gates plan good-bye, gear up for final combat). Of course, Cthulhu is mostly hype in-game cool . You don't mention the # of investigators, but I'd say Shub-Niggurath in this case. 12 doom track is medi-length, she doesn't affect gate closing as Yog Sothoth does. Extra toughness on monsters will come into play often I'd think. Final combat is hard, but not too bad IMO.

Or could go with the standard wuss, Nyarlathotep, would get to use those Mask monsters as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl
Austria
Salzburg
Salzburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Second vote vor Nyarly. He doesn't interfere with any major mechanics and he does not add any cumbersome rules to remember as the masks do not need anything to be memorized.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikhail Kainov
Russia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Dam the Man wrote:
You don't mention the # of investigators, but I'd say Shub-Niggurath in this case

4-5 investigators.

Thanks, guys. I think we will randomly take Nyarl or Shub. We will not win in our first game, but we want to feel this atmosphere and dont want to miss such important part of the game like final battle (which we will loose with king-of-first-games-Azathoth) =)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
HeTu wrote:
Thanks, guys. I think we will randomly take Nyarl or Shub. We will not win in our first game, but we want to feel this atmosphere and dont want to miss such important part of the game like final battle (wich we will losse with king-of-first-games-Azathoth) =)

If you have 5 or more, don't forget about the 2 monsters per gate rule then. Makes things interesting if you get Shub devil . Base game cup should give opportunities to see Star Spawn and Dhole, when combined with Shub's +1 toughness cool ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomas Riha
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yig and Ithaqua are quite good. They both use stamina/sanity tokens as part of their attack and hence are easy to prepare for.

Yig has quite low impact on base rules. Ithaqua adds the damage in streets while this adds tactical difficulty it does remove the weather cards which makes the game mechanicaly easier.

Tex

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Snake
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd suggest Ithaqua. We played our first game last tuesday night with 4 players and had this GOO. We won by sealing 6 gates. We were a bit lucky since we had 4 power surges with only 2 gates open and had a couple of yellow mobs there and others that didn't even move for 2-3 turns which let us gear up and getter elder sign unique cards to remove counters. We did get the mythos card that didn't allow us to seal gates anymore, but we just waited a couple of turn for another environment card so we could seal our last one.

We try to kill Itaqua for fun, but when we rolled to keep our items, 3 of us all lost our +combat damage items and he killed us with 4 doom token still on him (16 hit left).

Fun times! Can't wait to play again since now we will know the rules and it will cut about 1 hour of playtime from our first game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
For a short game with all the rules, I recommend Yig.

For a semi-short game not having to worry about Weather cards, I recommend Ithaqua.

For a longer game to help get the rules down without worrying about GOO-impacting rules (and no final battle!), then I recommend Azatoth.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Walton
United States
Springfield
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Try Hastur or Yog. They both have the combination of long doom tracks and making gates harder to seal so that will not only give you a longer game it will also increase the chance of a final battle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.