United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
Are you up for a game of Wellington?
badge
I really do have a wonderful life.
mbmbmbmbmb
In my first round of Dungeonquest, I learned the valuable lesson of always attacking the monsters you encounter. In our second game, G Fetz joined our merry band at Bobby Tweaks' Mittwoch Spiele game night. Moz retained the fighter, I retained the barbarian, Wargaming Jason retained the ranger, leaving G Fetz with the adventurer. In the first game, KingPut had won with the adventurer, so the new player was starting off in a good spot.

Moz started us off by virtue of an excellent roll and started working his way to the dragon's lair. I had about three portcullises very early on in my journey, which did not bode well for an escape the way I came in. I had seen in the previous game we played how the turns could get away from you, much as I had learned to develop the random method of battle to try to overcome my own lack of skill in anticipating the attacks of my co-players.

Jason used his ranger to great effect, taking out one Death Warrior with an arrow and significantly taking the life out of another. A collapsed ceiling took him out in the end as the combined damage from fighting and the three points from the ceiling was just too much.

G Fetz met a similar end at the hands of an orc where, after too many encounters, the cards refused to go his way.

Moz had a great run into the center of the dungeon, grabbing some treasure on the way and taking two counters from the dragon before high-tailing it out the way he came. He had a rotating chamber cut off his escape, so he bravely forged a new path out. His last tile required an agility roll to escape. He spent a few turns trying to escape, but in the end was successful.

I too made it to the dragon's chamber, and survived my encounter with the sleeping beast for two tokens. The total was about 500 gold pieces in worth, and with a 90 gp ring and 30 gps from a looted body, I felt pretty confident I had what I needed to win. I followed Moz's path out and rolled the agility test on my first try, narrowly escaping the collapsing dungeon. Victory was assured!

But as you might expect, it wasn't to be. Moz had 1,400 gps in one item alone from his visit to the dragon. The other was far more valuable, and that was before he went to look at the loot he had picked up from various encounters on his journey. Had this been Warhammer, I could have attacked and might have been able to win, but in Dungeonquest you simply can't take out your opponents in this manner.

My mind turned to Fearsome Floors on this play. I think it is the coffin shaped cards and the dungeon layout. Moz said he would be back next week, so I am looking forward to future chances to get through Dungeonquest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Tete Montoliu - Tootie's Tempo
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
raolsson wrote:
In my first round of Dungeonquest, I learned the valuable lesson of always attacking the monsters you encounter.

That comment inspired me to write a small article, which you can find here:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/420898

Hopefully you will find it useful!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.