Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kendahl Johnson
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I introduced my mom to Mr Jack and she loved it. Actually, it was first time playing for both of us and we both loved it. I plan on doing a review just as soon as I introduce it to my wife, my 8-yr-old daughter and my gaming buddy for some additional perspective.

After a few practice games to get the hang of it, we set off to play "for real." I was the detective. I was able to eliminate three players the first round but just one more player the second round. My mom was working really hard to keep two players hidden and she was trying really hard to get one of them to the exit. Every move she made seemed to be with that solitary goal in mind.

So I pretty much was convinced of the four remaining, it had to be one of those two. Round three I was able to eliminate one of those two, leaving three players with no alibi. I was absolutely certain it was Watson, who she had been moving to stay hidden and moving towards exits the entire first three rounds. Round four, Sherlock Holmes revealed to me one of the other two characters was innocent. Of the last two, John Smith had been virtually ignored by my mother, so I decided to ignore him also and end the game then and there with a Watson accusation.

No one was close enough to accuse Watson, but I still had Goodley and he was only six spaces away. So I blew the whistle, moved Watson three spaces closer to Goodley and moved Goodley on Watson and accused him. I was pretty smug in my victory, until my mom revealed her alibi card. John Smith? John Smith?! How could it be? Wow, you are pretty tricky mom...what else do I not know about you?

To be fair, I certainly didn't give my mom enough credit. We played Agricola the night before and I had explained wooden huts and upgrades and renovations to her at least six times. That game just never clicked with her. Maybe she was snowballing me...

Mr Jack is an extremely fun deduction game where the deducing is only half the battle. I rate it a solid 8 but I think it might go up because I want to play this again and will suggest it any time we have 20 minutes and need a quick gaming fix. I hope my wife and daughter can pick up the subtleties and strategies... I also hope they are as tricky as my mom.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grimwade Arbigul
msg tools
The best thing about Mr. Jack is the more you play the better the game gets as some of the more subtle nuances begin to emerge. Glad you're enjoying this one as much as we do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
oddfellow wrote:
The best thing about Mr. Jack is the more you play the better the game gets as some of the more subtle nuances begin to emerge. Glad you're enjoying this one as much as we do.

One subtle nuance is that you don't need to accuse on turn 4 if there are still more than 1 suspects.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kendahl Johnson
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
oddfellow wrote:

One subtle nuance is that you don't need to accuse on turn 4 if there are still more than 1 suspects.

Unless you want to prove how smart you are, which is obviously never a good idea...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.