Subject: Ambush for Artillery Unit? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrzej Sieradzki
Poland
Opole
flag msg tools
badge
We don't stop playing when we get old, but we get old when we stop playing.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yout unit is adjacent to an enemy Arty unit. You hold an Ambush card. Your enemy fires the Arty at your unit. Is the Arty making a close assault[strange to me]? May you use your Ambush card against such an Arty attack [strange to me]?

I would answer NO to both questions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Earl
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Adjacent hexes are always close assault, so I would say yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garrett Potvin
United States
Brooklyn Park
MN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tim is right you can ambush the arty.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Louis Brenton
United States
Brighton
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This sounds like a situation where the rules of the game actually work against the theme of the game.

I agree that it makes no conceptual sense whatsoever to ambush an artillery unit, but I also agree that it's probably completely within the rules of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Earl
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
superman829 wrote:
This sounds like a situation where the rules of the game actually work against the theme of the game.

I agree that it makes no conceptual sense whatsoever to ambush an artillery unit, but I also agree that it's probably completely within the rules of the game.

You could argue that the artillery battery is being assaulted by troops and are unable to train their guns on them before they arrive. Perhaps they've been firing at longer range targets and suddenly have to lower their elevation to deal with the closer threat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaiah Tanenbaum
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The arty unit itself probably wouldn't respond. But the troops guarding it would. That's their job, after all.

Totally thematic for anyone who's played a WWII first-person-shooter video game. You clear out the troops and then blow up the arty with a handy explosive backpack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Owen
United States
Norwich
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thinking too hard.

This is not a super tactical game and definitely not at the level of a first=person shooter.

The artillery is generic. It might be some antitank guns, it might be some medium or light artillery, depending upon the scenario. The game scale is not specified, but units behave more or less how battalions or maybe company level units might be expected to behave.

An artillery unit that's adjacent is operating at point-blank range no matter how you look at it. The ambush card might represent things that are happening below your vision level. Maybe the target has been able to find some covered avenue of approach (a sunken road, a small ravine, a copse of trees that allows it to take out the guns before they can fire effectively.

And there are no troops "guarding" the guns 99 percent of the time. Artillery units are responsible for their own local security, but generally they don't have the manpower to do a very thorough job of it. It's never a good idea to let your gunners get within small arms range of the enemy, no matter what era of warfare we're talking about. Letting a gun unit get "ambushed" is very thematic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrzej Sieradzki
Poland
Opole
flag msg tools
badge
We don't stop playing when we get old, but we get old when we stop playing.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks guys, so after all, we played it right. The Arty was ambushed, but as far as my dice luck is concerned, I scored no hits on the guns.:zombie:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil McDonald
England
Staffordshire
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
An artillery unit is still equipped with rifles for close defense.

Don't get all hypothetical to try and change the rules
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikhail Kruzhkov
Russia
Moscow
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just yesterday I played ambush on an artillery unit just before it was going to bombard my armor twice in a row. I was lucky and rolled 2 flags and a grenade, which was more than enough since the artillery was on the back line. But I wasn't quite sure that this was legitimate, so I decided to check it here. So it looks like we played by the rules, still my opponent was furious and I felt like a dirty cheater.. blush

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Owen
United States
Norwich
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
magnitt wrote:
Just yesterday I played ambush on an artillery unit just before it was going to bombard my armor twice in a row. I was lucky and rolled 2 flags and a grenade, which was more than enough since the artillery was on the back line. But I wasn't quite sure that this was legitimate, so I decided to check it here. So it looks like we played by the rules, still my opponent was furious and I felt like a dirty cheater.. blush

As noted above, there's nothing wrong or "cheating" about allowing an attacking artillery unit to get "ambushed." The cards do not necessarily literally represent what's named on the card, but it's effect. In the case of an artillery unit being "ambushed" it could simply be a case where the targeted unit (which by definition is very close by) is able to launch a spoiling counterattack against the gunners before they could effectively fire.

This is a fairly abstract game and the rules should not be interpreted too literally.

As a former artilleryman, let me assure you that point-blank fire situations are not sought. If you can shoot at them over open sights, they can shoot at you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.