Subject: How do I convince my parents in playing Dominion? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Martin W.
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My parents like the Catan series, Caylus, Tikal, Puerto Rico, ...

They have difficulties with Agricola because it has a lot of different cards and my mother means that it plays slowly (in terms of the development speed of the farms).

So, can anyone give advice (the SdJ price of 2009 makes it easier) how I can convince them to play Dominion or is it simply not their kind of game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geert VG
Belgium
Leuven
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fangorrn wrote:

My mother means that it plays slowly (in terms of the development speed of the farms).

Dominion plays fast... Very fast.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Branko K.
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bribe them.

"Accidentally" leave some cards all over the house for them to pick up and examine.

Say that the full name of Dominion is "Dominion of Catan".

Bring a laptop and fire up BSW Dominion with your speaker on full volume. Pretend that you cannot turn off the constant swooshing, ting-tinging and dum-dadaduming and say that the only way you can bring yourself to stop playing this immensely addictive game is to play it face-to-face.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Paul
United States
Seattle
WA
flag msg tools
badge
man lying down on job voluntarily
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you having trouble convincing them to play Dominion?

If they play Caylus, Dominion will be a cakewalk. Just break it out and teach it to them - they'll probably want to keep playing it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin W.
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No, they don't know Dominion yet but the "Spiel des Jahres" label will change that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark G.
United States
Holland
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tell them my mom loves the game :)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mat Nowak
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tell them that my mom says that when she's playing Dominion she's in a whole other world where she doesn't feel any pain and thoroughly enjoys herself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vince Herman
United States
Seville
Ohio
flag msg tools
mb
I'm 45 and I play Dominion with my kids.
I also play Dominion with my girlfriend and her mom.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin W.
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the patience of my parents (60 and 62 years old) for new games has decreased over the last months. They moan every time I say "Hey, I brought a new game!" whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Armin Sudhoff
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Find some geeks in your area!
In the next bigger city you should find a shop, that also supports role-players. In Freiburg e.g. there is one, where you can post your request on a black board...
btw. where are you from?! North or South?! I'd also love to play Dominion, but don't have it either... have to wait for my birthday in december soblue

Greetz, HivedOne!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is the problem with Agricola that there are a lot of different things to chose from with each action?
That's much less of a problem with Dominion. Normally your choice will be to buy a new card at around the cost of the number of coins you have generated that turn.

My brother seems to be getting more and more prone to analysis paralysis. To the point that some games like Agricola he takes long enough over his turns now that we don't want to play them when he's around.

Dominion is game we're happy to play with him though.

Caylus is much more of an Agricola style game than Dominion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Sitz
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fangorrn wrote:
I think the patience of my parents (60 and 62 years old) for new games has decreased over the last months. They moan every time I say "Hey, I brought a new game!" whistle

I taught my dad (70) how to play using just the Intrigue cards on Sunday. It's doable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tej S
United States
Los Gatos
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I play it alot with my 17 year old cousin and his 13 and 15 year old sisters. Actually, I ended up playing with them for over 8 hours last weekend when I opened up my copy of Intrigue. My other 9 year old cousin has also tried it a few times, but she doesn't quite get the strategies and doesn't enjoy it very much. I've also played with my sister(30), girlfriend(24), and father(64). Of them, not one has played even Settlers. (My 17yr old cousin has played MTG tho).
It's that good and simple to learn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.