Kevin Everingham
United States
Sheridan
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You buy thick card stock then print on regular paper or cardstock and use spray adhesive to connect them.

Uline.com has the thick chipboard stock and the spray.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Gatman

Erlanger
Kentucky
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have used the 1/8 inch thick hardboard(found at home depot). You can inkjet onto cardstock, then brush on decoupage sealant to adhere and waterproof the final product. Very easy and turns out great. You can even get it in both matte and gloss finish. I use the Hodge Podge brand (found at most craft stores).

Mark
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Celina
United States
University City
MO
flag msg tools
mb
DorianGray wrote:
How do you inkjet onto card stock? What is waterproofing?

Mark are you saying to glue the printed card into another card stock?

Yes, glue the cardstock on to something else. Matte or chip board is good. Dick Blick has a good selection.

I waterproof things 2 ways, either by spraying them with a clear finish or using Modge Podge. Modge Podge is a thick liquid that dries clear, it is mainly used in decoupage. Go look at the DIY forum, there are a lot of threads on this subject (cardstock/board/waterproofing).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Celina
United States
University City
MO
flag msg tools
mb
Modge Podge also comes in sparkly, so read carefully.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carc >> BSG
United States
Topeka
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
My method involves full-sheet sticker paper (I find packs of 15 for $10 at Hobby Lobby, I believe Office Depot has a larger pack of 100 for $40), print on them using either the inkjet or laser printer, then stick them to chipboard (a 12x12 sheet of chipboard costs 55 cents at the local scrapbooking store.)

I've made a large assortment of game materials this way, even double-sided tiles. Rotary cutters are a necessity, though. You can't use an X-Acto knife because it rips up the paper and takes forever. Rotary cutters give a cleaner edge, takes a fraction of the time to cut and the blade lasts a lot longer.

I thought that this thread was actually about cards, though, because I'm still looking for a decent way to print out prototype playing cards. Artscow takes too long and the results can be hit-or-miss, and I don't enjoy using card sleeves. For now I'm using perforated business card stock, but that results in some lame-looking cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Herb Petro
United States
INDIAN TRAIL
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ejcarter wrote:
I thought that this thread was actually about cards, though, because I'm still looking for a decent way to print out prototype playing cards. Artscow takes too long and the results can be hit-or-miss, and I don't enjoy using card sleeves. For now I'm using perforated business card stock, but that results in some lame-looking cards.

How about these: http://www.plaincards.com/Playing.html

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carc >> BSG
United States
Topeka
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
mentis wrote:
ejcarter wrote:

How about these: http://www.plaincards.com/Playing.html

I should try them again. I bought a pack years ago and trying to get the images to line up perfectly with the perfs was a pain. BUT I was trying to get as much imagery on the cards as possible. If I use them again I'll give myself a much larger margin/border.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Gatman

Erlanger
Kentucky
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I also use Mod Podge for my cards as well. I print fronts and backs on separate sheets of 110# cardstock, then spray adhesive to bond fronts to backs. I decoupage one side, wait till it dries(it initially curls slightly but flattens out as it dries) then decoupage the other side. They are very nice when completely cured. The matte finish is almost like a linen, are flexible yet firm, and have a nice 'snap' like they are supposed to have.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jim b
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
DorianGray wrote:
do you have any recommendations on online stores that sell Chipboard, Sticker paper, and cardstock?

http://www.dickblick.com/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.