Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game» Forums » General

Subject: Complexity ? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb


How complexe is this game ? How would it rate compared to the scale found in Columbia games, for instance (Quebec 1759 vs Eurofront) ?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Mallet wrote:


How complexe is this game ? How would it rate compared to the scale found in Columbia games, for instance (Quebec 1759 vs Eurofront) ?
Never played any of those games, but looking up their game entry details... the former has a game weight of 2.2 while the latter 4.0 (scale form 1 through 5). BSG OTOH has a game weight of 3.0, while for reference Settlers Of Catan 2.2.

Given those numbers, it really ain't too bad. Unless a group are casual gamers (Uno, Mexican Train, dice games, party games, and possibly something a bit more complex like Ticket To Ride), then those who enjoy medium to heavier games will find BSG's complexity to be good. Enjoying the show and also semi-co-op games also help out with that.


Me, the game ain't that hard to learn. After the first jump, everyone knows the turn overview..
--Draw full compliment of skill cards, IF IN SICKBAY, draw only 1!
--movement (dsicard if going between vessels)
--Action on card or location. Viper actions availble to pilots in space
--draw crisis card. DO NOT DRAW IF IN BRIG!

Apply special powers where applicable
for all skill checks, palyers in Brig only contribute one skill card.



Becoming an effective cylon player, or human counteracting cylons is the thing that takes more plays. To familiarize oneself with the rest of the game, and the cylon mechanic since not all of the details of becoming a revealed cylon always sinks in the first game.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:

Me, the game ain't that hard to learn. After the first jump, everyone knows the turn overview..
--Draw full compliment of skill cards, IF IN SICKBAY, draw only 1!
--movement (dsicard if going between vessels)
--Action on card or location. Viper actions availble to pilots in space
--draw crisis card. DO NOT DRAW IF IN BRIG!

Apply special powers where applicable
for all skill checks, palyers in Brig only contribute one skill card.


These rules cover 90% of the game. This is not a terribly complex game, and it's co-operative (mostly), which means as long as -someone- in your group knows how to play the game, you'll be fine, because that person can lay out the options to someone who doesn't quite know all the rules. I am surprised it's rated higher complexity than Settlers, which has 2 rule books and a lot of fiddliness. I would say BSG is much easier for a newcomer to join a game and get right into it.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
BSG easier then Settlers ? OK, then, BSG = super-easy.
(Quebec 1759 is barely 1 out of 10 as far as wargames go : perfect introductory game, 1-2 rungs below the first scenario of COH)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Abraham Drucker
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
MOAR GAMES
badge
Damn Dirty Ape I Love You
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The BSG rulebook is long and complex. There are a lot of fiddly rules and charts which require several looks back into the rulebook.

HOWEVER (and this is a big however), once you learn the rules (or at least one person learns the rules)- the game is pretty simple to play.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ŁṲÎS̈
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
F*** it! Do it LIVE!
badge
Didn't know what to spend all this sweet GG on, so I bought the overtext.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Felkor wrote:

These rules cover 90% of the game. This is not a terribly complex game, and it's co-operative (mostly), which means as long as -someone- in your group knows how to play the game, you'll be fine, because that person can lay out the options to someone who doesn't quite know all the rules. I am surprised it's rated higher complexity than Settlers, which has 2 rule books and a lot of fiddliness. I would say BSG is much easier for a newcomer to join a game and get right into it.


Easier than Settlers?

I breezed right through the Settlers rules. I've had BSG for two months, and can't seem to stay awake through the rulebook with has to be 3 times as long.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
3 times as long? Settlers has 2 rule books, both rather lengthy and with finer print text. I'll admit that the BSG rulebook is not the best written rulebook though (as is fairly standard with FFG rulebooks)... I was more specifically saying someone coming new into a group who knows how to play will find themselves getting into the game quicker with BSG than with Settlers - at least that's the experience I've had.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ŁṲÎS̈
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
F*** it! Do it LIVE!
badge
Didn't know what to spend all this sweet GG on, so I bought the overtext.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Felkor wrote:
3 times as long? Settlers has 2 rule books, both rather lengthy and with finer print text. I'll admit that the BSG rulebook is not the best written rulebook though (as is fairly standard with FFG rulebooks)... I was more specifically saying someone coming new into a group who knows how to play will find themselves getting into the game quicker with BSG than with Settlers - at least that's the experience I've had.


2 rule books?
Fourth edition settlers has one rulebook with 15 pages of large print.
BSG has 31 pages in a font about half the size.
Just checked

3 times as long was being generous.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
monteslu wrote:
Felkor wrote:
3 times as long? Settlers has 2 rule books, both rather lengthy and with finer print text. I'll admit that the BSG rulebook is not the best written rulebook though (as is fairly standard with FFG rulebooks)... I was more specifically saying someone coming new into a group who knows how to play will find themselves getting into the game quicker with BSG than with Settlers - at least that's the experience I've had.


2 rule books?
Fourth edition settlers has one rulebook with 15 pages of large print.
BSG has 31 pages in a font about half the size.
Just checked

3 times as long was being generous.


Interesting! I have 3rd Edition Settlers, and you get a rule book and an Almanac with it. I don't believe they changed any rules for 4th edition, so maybe they just learned to explain them better? Sounds like an improvement to me if they're that short and clear.

Either way, if you're learning a game by sitting with someone who's reading the rule book outloud, then that's a good time to try a different game... I hate learning games like that and the game takes at least twice as long! I remember trying this with PowerGrid once (which has possibly the worst manual ever) and our first turn took an entire hour! Now when we play, the entire game doesn't take much longer than that.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.