Subject: Should i buy it? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Guy Steuperaert
Belgium
Desselgem
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Been watching this game for a while. I like the looks of it, i like the idea and i think i would love to play it. However all i hear is its very luck dependant and i like to plan things out in games. The video review of Obsessed Board Gamers really got me all into this game untill the very end where all my desires were crushed.
So is it really as luck dependant or are there ways around this, maybe even houserules. if so i will buy this, if not then i will keep on doubting a bit if i wanne buy it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Lott
United States
Mason
Michigan
flag msg tools
Being a Lions fan is a gift...
badge
...and a curse.
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's the deal: There are significant ways to mitigate luck in the game. By maximizing your knowledge in a specific culture, you are more likely to unearth artifacts in that region (in other words you get to draw more tiles from the bag.) But the reality is simply this: No matter how much research you do, there is always a chance you're going to dig up nothing but dirt (in other words, even drawing 8 tiles, you could get nothing that's worth points.) It's entirely thematic and quite fun, but if you're going to fret over your best-laid plans going awry, you might want to look elsewhere.

As for house rules, I have seen several proposed here in the forums for the game suggesting ways to reduce the luck factor. Check those out if you're interested. For me, I like the game as it is because it works and I don't mind the luck factor added in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thematically the luck works. It's a lightweight game that doesn't take that long to play, the theme works and it's actually kinda fun. If you're going to get really frustrated and angry when the luck of the tile draws doesn't go your way, best to just leave it alone, but if you're happy to play a lighter game with a luck component, it's actually quite fun.

B>
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martyn Smith
England
Bourne
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
badge
"We don't see things as they are, but as we are." Anais Nin
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup, I totally agree with everything this guy says...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Allen
United States
Turlock
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
As a former archaeologist sometimes you get lucky... sometimes you don't. Thebes is light weight and makes a great "gateway" game. In a review I did of the game (Where Everyday is like Christmas) I address some of the critiques of the game from the perspective of an archaeologist. The short of it is: Thebes does an awesome job in the theme department.

Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Jackson
United States
Mather
California
flag msg tools
OK, one time Randy Beaman had to take baths with his brother. So one time his little brother took a potty in the bathtub .....and now Randy Beaman gets to take showers alone. 'K, bye.
badge
One time, OK, see, one time Randy Beaman's little brother ate Pop Rocks and drank a soda at the same time and his head exploded! 'K, bye.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll chime in for the viewpoint of a player who didn't enjoy it.

The time mechanic of players taking their actions is brilliant (this was the first game I played that used it and now there are several out - Red November and Tinner's Trail come to mind).

The digging aspect, while thematically spot-on, really drove me crazy. I appreciate the mechanic in respect to the theme, but that doesn't mean it makes a good game mechanic. I think it allows luck to be too much of a factor. This is not to say I'll never play it again, simply that I'd opt for something else.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Crispin
United States
Wilmington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Downfall of Pompeii feels about the same to me. The tile draw is somewhat luck dependent and a bad series of draws can really kill your chances for the game. Both games have gotten a high fun rating with people I have played with and they do reward good planning and risk managment. More like a war-game, the rewards of the good planning may only be evident over a series of games instead of a single game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guy Steuperaert
Belgium
Desselgem
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I dont mind luck, i actually like can't stop. I wont get angry either. I can cope with luck ruining things occasionally, but not if it happens everytime.
Guess having some luck in a game that only takes an hour is not to bad. And i(t) really look gorgeous and luck fits the theme i guess.

Tomorrow i pass by the shop again, will see what i decide when i am there

Edited cause of the typo that jedi music mentioned. To his/her credit i fixed it only partially
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I really agree with Ben here, this is really a risk management game at heart. Get shovels to pull more out of the bags. Wait to get more books for more pulls, and dig less often. Get exhibitions and congresses to get guaranteed points.

Is there luck? Of course. But much of it is due to the player's preparations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Yu
United States
Rego Park
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Timing and preparation is the key to this game. I have found that the players who do those two things better throughout the game wins every time, regardless of the luck factor. Between two equally skilled players, luck could play a factor. Then again, it's that way in most games.

Bottom line, play this game b/c it's extremely fun, luck or no luck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guy Steuperaert
Belgium
Desselgem
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Guess i more or less made up my mind before posting this. But i just needed a few of you to push me that final bit. I just looks to gorgeous and fun to pass by
Will get it and give it a first spin on my monday gaming night
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Adams
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
I really enjoy this game irrespective of the luck element. Infact, it is logical to assume that an archaeologist might find nothing in a dig , so the luck element is quite exciting in a way.
Enjoy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Cox
Australia
Petersham
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
If you can stand all your planning, not matter how good, coming down to the luck of how many point chits you draw from a bag, then go for it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guy Steuperaert
Belgium
Desselgem
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to let you know, i now own this beautifull game. On monday i will know if i regret it but i highly doubt it. It will be a welcome addition to the games i take along to public gaming nights, were lots of friend show up that are not to used to playing games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan C
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
And i really look gorgeous and luck fits the theme i guess.

Stay on topic please
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guy Steuperaert
Belgium
Desselgem
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rofl thanks for catching that. Guess i should go edit that one

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.