BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Are You a Traditionalist or a Modernist? [with POLL] rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Smooth seas make the voyage more pleasant.
badge
A ship in port is safe, and that's just what ports are for.
mbmbmbmbmb
Games have been around for millennia, and some ancient ones are still popular today. But most of the hoopla in BGG centers on the latest, shiniest, and most innovative. Where do you stand? Thought I'd post a poll and find out.

The poll is just a gimmick, of course. I'd really like to invite discussion of games from these various periods. So, if you have any opinions, one way or another, please post a message and share your views.

Poll
Which statement best captures your attitude toward each category of game listed?
  I'm always interested in these (or, Some of my favorite games fit this category). I'm usually interested in these (or, I enjoy some good games that fit this category). I have a spotty or vague interest in these (or, I enjoy one or two pretty good games from this category). I'm indifferent toward these (or, I might play some games from this category, but nothing stands out). I tend toward being disinterested in these (or, One or two not-so-good games from this category come to mind). I'm usually not interested in these (or, I can think of a number of games from this category I wouldn't want to play). I have no interest in these (or, I can't think of any games from this category that I'd enjoy playing).
Classic, traditional, time-honored games (e.g., chess, backgammon, go, cribbage)
Games from your childhood (including family favorites)
Games published between 1900 and 1959
Games published in the 1960s or 1970s
Games published in the 1980s or 1990s
Games published in the twenty-first century
Games published within the past year
Games scheduled to be released within the coming year
Games of the future, yet to be designed
      63 answers
Poll created by Patrick Carroll

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Hinrickson
United States
St Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
This poll seems rather vague, you have lumped a whole range of games by the time lines you created. You should have detailed a little more using genres of games, or mechanics, etc...

I understand you're looking for date ranges of the games people like, but this data would be much help. I would have liked to see something based on dates as you have and maybe how the mechanics evolved or something like that.

Oh never mind that sounds to difficult to put together. You poll is fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
For me it is I have a spotty or vague interest in these (or, I enjoy one or two pretty good games from this category) all the way, except for the future, where I'm a little more generous.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Smooth seas make the voyage more pleasant.
badge
A ship in port is safe, and that's just what ports are for.
mbmbmbmbmb
jjloc wrote:
This poll seems rather vague, you have lumped a whole range of games by the time lines you created. You should have detailed a little more using genres of games, or mechanics, etc...

I understand you're looking for date ranges of the games people like, but this data would be much help. I would have liked to see something based on dates as you have and maybe how the mechanics evolved or something like that.

Oh never mind that sounds to difficult to put together. You poll is fine.

Yeah, I know--it sounded too vague or something to me too by the time I put it together. But to get at the "date ranges" I was looking for, I kinda had to force people to focus on time periods rather than anything else about games.

So far, it's looking like I'm an anomaly in BGG (as if everybody didn't know that already). If a game has been around a long time, it automatically captures my attention; if it's just today's fad or tomorrow's dream, I'm hardly interested at all. Most BG Geeks seem to be almost the opposite.

Of course, age is probably a factor. (Maybe I should've worked age into the poll.) Many games of the future are games I won't ever get to play, so why should I care about them? Also, time moves along faster as you put on years; so current trends often look like just passing fads to me.

Oops! I may have spoken too soon. Another glance at the poll shows that other BG Geeks appreciate classic games too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Kloth
United States
Wausau
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If the poll where labeled 6,5,4,3,2,1,0 my results would be

Which is very close to what the results look like at this time.

I don't like classic games because most are abstracts. I hate my childhood games now since there is virtually no gameplay (I'm not including my teens when I discovered Avalon Hill and Games Workshop). 1900-1959 are a list of games Hasbro is still churning out (Monopoly, Risk, Scrabble); there are a few card games like Canasta in there that aren't too bad. The 60s and 70s had some good ones on the tail end (Cosmic Encounter, Dune, Ogre, Wooden Ships & Iron Men, etc). The 80s and 90s are what made me into a gamer. It's when Ameritrash Exploded onto the scene. Newer games have the best game designs yet. The quality of gameplay has increased quite a bit in recent years.

The games of the future are my highest rated. I don't see the trend of better gameplay stopping. I will also be publishing games in the future, and those are my favorite games yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
As my UberGeekBadge states, I'm an Omni Gamer. I'll play just about anything. I have interests in just about every category you listed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Jome
United States
Franklin
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Another valiant effort, Patrick, but I failed again.

I don't care when a game is made. I care about it as a good game. Age does not make a game good. Interesting choices make a game good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.