Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Neal Rosen
United States
Wimauma
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
In each color, some of the artifacts found can be books of special knowledge and books of general knowledge. I understand that these books can be used during subsequent excavations, just as if each was a card with that particular color book on it.

But, in final scoring, for the purpose of determinging the bonuses for the most artifacts found of each color, are these "book artifacts" included in counting how many artifacts each player has found or are they only used as knowledge for future excavations?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ketty
Chile
Santiago
RM
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Neal,

I think you are a little confused. The bonus if for the person with the most special knowledge in each area (colored closed books).

So yes, the books you find in excavations counts for this bonus (the artifacts don't count at all)
Ketty
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Lott
United States
Mason
Michigan
flag msg tools
Being a Lions fan is a gift...
badge
...and a curse.
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe the bonuses are not for most artifacts of each color, but for most specialized knowledge of each color. And yes, they are included in that count.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The one thing I've never seen officially answered is if unused "legends of the people" count towards this end game bonus. We count it.

They are very clearly "specialized knowledge", they're listed in that section in the rules.

The bonus section says items are colour coded to the area they are to be counted for (which is why the multi coloured wild card books don't count), and the legends of the people are most definitely colour coded.

Hasn't happened a lot, because you try and use them, but once I had one left over because someone scooped up almost every single tile left in the bag (so it wasn't worth it to go digging), and keeping the legend meant that I'd win that bonus, instead of losing it in that colour.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David K.
United States
Pflugerville
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Steven, that's a very good point you bring up, and one that has not occured in my game play.

I would suggest that the "Legends of the People" cards don't count for the scoring bonus.

The rules state that the bonus goes to the most specialized knowledge in each area.

From Page 8 of the rule book:
Quote:
All books and found items are color-coded to the area where they should be considered for scoring.

The "Legends of the People" card is neither a book, nor a found item (an item you had to dig for). It's a modifier for figuring out your overall knowledge for a dig. Therefore, it shouldn't count.

That's my take on it, I certainly respect your point of view on it as well. Perhaps this is a good place for a house rule.

-- David
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, but note that sentence doesn't say that only those two types count towards the score. It simply clarifies which subsets of those two items must be used to contribute to the count. Because:

Books - both open and closed exist, only closed count.
Found items - both treasures and books exist, only the books count.
Legends of the people - There is only one type, so no explanatory text was needed.

It's like saying "Students with the highest grade point average will win the scholarships. For PE class, only the attendance grade will count". (assuming there was a grade for attending PE, and a second grade for performance). It doesn't mean that only PE class is used to calculate the GPA, it's just a note to explain how the special case of PE works.

Anyways, I'm sure someone official will step in and rule me incorrect, it's what usually happens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mik Svellov
Denmark
Copenhagen N
EU
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
UnknownParkerBrother wrote:
The one thing I've never seen officially answered is if unused "legends of the people" count towards this end game bonus. We count it.

They are very clearly "specialized knowledge", they're listed in that section in the rules.

The problems lies in the translation, and in the definition of 'specialized' in the English language.

The German rules use two different terms that are both translated as 'special':
Spezialwissen = special knowledge
Fachwissen = "knowledge of the trade", ie. professional knowledge.

According to the German rules are the bonus points awarded to the player(s) with the greatest 'professional' knowledge.

In the German rules the 3 special items that may count towards digging are called "special knowledge" - divided into:
- professional books of the trade
- tips from the population
- assistants

Only the first type falls under the main type of "professional knowledge".

One can hardly count lose rumors from the public 'professional'.

Finally: the population is only useful during digging. They are discarded as you use them - and you can hardly use a rumor you didn't use as 'evidence' for the knowledge you have acquired!

The bonus points are given for the publications you have published after you came home.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew MacLeod
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
And when, exactly, are we playing Churchill again?
mbmbmbmbmb
Always read the examples in a rulebook! The very last line in the very last example (right hand side of the page) of the English rulebook reads as follows:
"Note: when determining the most special knowledge in each area, assistants, notes, and cards with general knowledge are not counted."
The word "notes" is frequently used in the English translation to refer to "legends from the people". So, no: legends from the people do NOT count in final scoring.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good point about the notes. They never define it anywhere, just use it twice.

I give. robot
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernd Dietrich
Germany
Troisdorf
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Steven
UnknownParkerBrother wrote:
Anyways, I'm sure someone official will step in and rule me incorrect, it's what usually happens.

Ok, here we are. And I am sorry that your expections are not met

In a short way, the "Legends of the people/Notes" cards don't count in the final scoring.
I apologize for the inconvenience which may occur by using two different names for the same card.
Hope that helps and all the best from Germany
Bernd
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom P
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Do not shed tears over throws of the past, roll again!
badge
Click here for free games.
mbmbmbmbmb
amacleod wrote:
The word "notes" is frequently used in the English translation to refer to "legends from the people".

THAT's what it means!!! My goodness. I really need to work on my German...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.