Joe Gola
United States
Redding
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
and everything under the sun is in tune
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought it might help everyone through the mourning process if we all got together and shared our favorite reminiscences of Mr. Cranky. It'll be like a group hug, except one person will be dead. I'll go first.

My favorite memory of MisterCranky is the time he came to my parents' house for Thanksgiving. After we had eaten the turkey and stuffing and squash and ham and creamed spinach and oysters and homemade cranberry sauce and game hen and apple pie, and after Mr. C. had thoroughly regaled all and sundry with his easy wit and alligator-like charm, he and I decided to entertain ourselves by pulling the wishbone. We tugged and tussled over the prize, but, amazingly, the bone snapped in the dead center! We got out a ruler and the two turkey corpse fragments were the exact same size, down to the millimeter. We even had to write our names on the bones in magic marker just to make sure they didn't get mixed up, that's how alike the two were. How would we decide who got their wish? We simply couldn't think of an answer, so I asked Cranky what he had wished for. With a single tear streaming down his cheek, he replied "that we could be best friends forever."

"Dear sir," I said, "that was my wish as well."

Then we had a fistfight over who was going to be the bestest best friend ever and then we drank T.J. Swann's Mellow Days until we puked and then we LAUGHED AND LAUGHED AND LAUGHED.

If anyone else wants to post their memories or share a poem or just talk about their feelings in general, I pledge to thumb their contribution as a token of thanks, unless they have more thumbs than I do, in which case they can go to hell.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Larkin
United States
Woodside
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll never forget the time MisterCranky and I found that buried treasure in the hanuted house. It turned out Injun Joe had found some, too. In the end, MisterCranky tailed Injun Joe around and was able to save the Widow Douglas. Injun Joe later starved in a cave, and I showed MisterCranky the cave, where we found more gold. If I recall, the Widow Douglas then adopted MisterCranky. After that, we kind of lost touch for a while.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SAKURA in KYOTO 2018 Back to Kansai
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I recall when somebody said something, and Mister Cranky responded with something which was written in such a way that it could be misread as a malicious attack but actually wasn't, and then this huge flame war blew up and then Mister Cranky was able to present himself as the triumphant victor because he didn't actually say what they had thought ohnevermind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diane Close
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
He came over one day and crapped in my weaving hut... Does that count?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I remember -- it seems like it was just last month -- that I was having problems learning R(-project). MisterCranky, being the generous man who he was, dropped everything he was doing to help me out. He didn't know R either, but was willing to try. He even made a nice pie chart for me. In the next departmental presentation I had (just this morning), I showed MisterCranky's chart. The audience was stunned. "We must have him work for us!" they shouted, "We will throw all sorts of money at him, and give him 10 underlings, if he so desires!"

"Gee," I said, "I don't know. I think he's pretty happy where he is."

"What if we give him a half a million a year, and 20 underlings all of whom are excellent Java programmers and do whatever he asks! And what if they're all beautiful women! We must have this man here!"

And so I told them I would put forth their proposition to him. And that was this morning. And now he is no longer with us, and I can't tell him the wonderful news. That he was appreciated for his beautiful pie chart.

As a final memorial, I'm posting the pie chart in question:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Larkin
United States
Woodside
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Obviously, you so overwhelmed him with their offer that you killed him.

Nice one, Amy.

shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
June King
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
Bring me her heart in this box.
mbmbmbmbmb
cry I remember a lively game of Wabash Cannonball with Josh at the first BGG.Con I attended. Jason Cheng and Josh just whupped me but good. There was light-hearted trash talking and ... Wait. What?

Never mind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Larkin
United States
Woodside
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ludocrazy wrote:
cry I remember a lively game of Wabash Cannonball with Josh at the first BGG.Con I attended. Jason Cheng and Josh just whupped me but good. There was light-hearted trash talking and ... Wait. What?

Never mind.

Now you're just making crap up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Plainwell
Michigan
flag msg tools
Mi cabasa esta muy verde
badge
Et in Vantasia ego
mbmbmbmbmb
I remember MisterCranky as a simple farmboy, as he and his newly met allies (Puffinge, Gren, Skwib, Cold_fuzion, Brentoon) attempt to rescue a rebel leader, Princess Pdclose, from the clutches of the BGG Empire. The conclusion is culminated as the Rebels, including MisterCranky and flying ace Too_close make an attack on the BGG Empires most powerful and ominous weapon, the Alan Moon Star.

In a galaxy far, far away, a psychopathic emperor and his most trusted servant - a former BGG Admin known as Darth Derk - are ruling a universe with fear. They have built a horrifying weapon known as the Alan Moon Star, a giant battle station capable of annihilating a world in less than a second. When the Alan Moon Star's master plans are captured by the fledgling Rebel Alliance, Derk starts a pursuit of the ship carrying them. A young dissident Senator, Pdclose , is aboard the ship & puts the plans into a maintenance robot named BRENTOON. Although she is captured, the Alan Moon Star plans cannot be found, as BRENTOON & his companion, a tall robot named COLD_FUZION, have escaped to the desert world of Chit Chat below. Through a series of mishaps, the robots end up in the hands of a farm boy named MisterCranky, who lives with his Uncle Kuhrusty & Aunt Jatoha. Kuhrusty & Jatoha are viciously murdered by the BGG Empire's BGG Admins who are trying to recover the plans, and & the robots meet with former BGG Admin Octavian to try to return the plans to Pdclose home, GeekQuestions. After contracting a pilot named Puffinge & his Wookiee companion Gren, they escape an Imperial blockade. But when they reach GeekQuestions's coordinates, they find it destroyed - by the Alan Moon Star. They soon find themselves caught in a tractor beam & pulled into the Alan Moon Star. Although they rescue Pdclose from the Alan Moon Star after a series of narrow escapes, Octavian becomes one with the Force after being killed by his former pupil - Darth Derk. They reach the Alliance's base on RPG.geekdo's fourth moon, but the Imperials are in hot pursuit with the Alan Moon Star, and plan to annihilate the Rebel base. The Rebels must quickly find a way to eliminate the Alan Moon Star before it destroys them as it did GeekQuestions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carc >> BSG
United States
Topeka
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
vandemonium wrote:
I remember MisterCranky as a simple farmboy,...

Seriously, I was going to post this EXACT SAME THING, but I wasn't going to put as much work into it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
I remember the time that MisterCranky and I hiked up a volcano and looked down into the lava. It was so cool. MisterCranky had a ring of some sort around his neck, and suddenly he mumbled something about not being able to go through with it, then he put on the ring and did his stupid invisibility trick that he liked to do whenever he wanted to show off. I was really mad that maybe he was going to leave me stuck there when some reject from the wizard of oz showed up and bit his finger off then jumped in the lava.

Man, that was an exciting day. I'll never forget it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carc >> BSG
United States
Topeka
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
wmshub wrote:
I remember the time that MisterCranky and I hiked up a volcano and looked down into the lava. It was so cool. MisterCranky had a ring of some sort around his neck, and suddenly he mumbled something about not being able to go through with it, then he put on the ring and did his stupid invisibility trick that he liked to do whenever he wanted to show off. I was really mad that maybe he was going to leave me stuck there when some reject from the wizard of oz showed up and bit his finger off then jumped in the lava.

Man, that was an exciting day. I'll never forget it.

That would make an awesome ABC miniseries.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geeky McGeekface
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's time for baseball, people! Pitchers and catchers report soon and the national pastime is with us again!
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't remember much about Cranky, but I do recall he had good teeth. You can tell a lot about a man by the state of his teeth and Cranky's were perfectly formed and gleaming white. And that was before all this "put crap on your teeth to turn them some unnatural shade of phospherescent white" nonsense got started. Damn Russians. No, Cranky didn't need no help, he was just born with a good set of choppers.

So that's the way I like to remember him. A straight shooter with really good teeth. 'Course, he hardly ever smiled, so who could tell. And his nails were kind of disgusting. Hmm...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
除名山 蔵芽戸
Japan
Sendai
Miyagi
flag msg tools
badge
I remember the time he called me stupid here in some fancy intellectual sort of way that I barely understood. At least, I think he was calling me stupid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Gola
United States
Redding
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
and everything under the sun is in tune
mbmbmbmbmb
Already this scrapbook has had me brushing away a tear. I never knew so many people had more thumbs than I do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Dontanville
United States
Charlottesville
VA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Plate of Shrimp.
badge
Here we are folks, the dream we all dream of.
mbmbmbmbmb
I touched the hem of his cloak, and it cured my leprosy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
flag msg tools
All my sins are of omission
badge
The kung fu hippie from Gansta City
mbmbmbmbmb
Every time he derided my spelling, or made fun of my grammar, it was THEN that I knew he truly cared.

RIP MC. You were too good for this world of ours.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todays avatar: Last time I saw Axl he was waiting for his forever home.
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Pet photographer, that's me.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I admit it. I had a motive. The first time I posted a picture of myself, he posted that I looked like a TV Horror movie host from his twisted childhood. But I also have an airtight alibi. Wanna to know anything else? Get a damn search warrant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Abby
BC West Coast
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm just glad Cranky let me help him with his crack problem. He lived his final days sober, and that means something.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Eager
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
DBA Junkie
badge
"A Book should serve as the Ax for the frozen sea within us."-- KAFKA
mbmbmbmbmb
Once he spewed invectives at me for repeatedly calling his avatar an alligator, despite his hysterical insistence that it was a crocodile. Some deep-seated inter-species issues at work there, I always figured.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Jennings
United States
San Diego
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I fondly remember the day that he wrote me into his will as the sole beneficiary. Ah, what sweet memories!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Larkin
United States
Woodside
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sisteray wrote:

I thought that was Aleister Finchley?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geeky McGeekface
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's time for baseball, people! Pitchers and catchers report soon and the national pastime is with us again!
mbmbmbmbmb
klarkinhistrep wrote:
sisteray wrote:

I thought that was Aleister Finchley?

Morgan touched the hem of Cranky's Aleister Finchley and it cured his leprosy? What a strange euphemism!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You guys don't know the Mistercranky that I knew. I remember when Mistercranky shot the sheriff of our town. I remember because I was there. I don't recall what set him off, but Cranky never needed much of an excuse to start taking potshots. I told him he shouldn't have done that, and, not knowing what else to do, I called the deputy. When the deputy showed up, Mistercranky shot him too. I was like "look, you shouldn't have shot the sheriff, but alright, if you're going to shoot the sheriff, for God's sake you definitely can't shoot the deputy too! What the heck were thinking about? If anyone asks, just tell them that, yeah, you shot the sheriff, but you did not shoot the deputy. We'll just say the deputy accidentally shot himself or something." It was cool in the end, though, because Mistercranky was a terrible shot, and only wounded the sheriff and the deputy. Boy, that was a close one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Larkin
United States
Woodside
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I speak for everyone when I say I'll never forget the time all of the women (and men) who had secret crushes of MisterCranky formed a secret society of MisterCranky lovers and called themselves "Legion".

Most misanthropes with a spelling fetish and a fez don't inspire that kind of Jonas Brothersish devotion, but he did.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.