Arkham Horror» Forums » Rules

Subject: Going to other world and back, whilst being delayed. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Søren E.
Denmark
Gredstedbro
flag msg tools
Earlier today when I played AH, I drew a card that said go to other world and have an encounter there then immediately return. I can remember exactly what the encounter said, however, it was a luck check. Both conditions were bad; I was told to be delayed in the other world. I just returned to Arkham.

Was I supposed to:
A - Just return
B - Stay delayed in Other World
C - Delayed in Arkham

And another question. In an encounter I had to make a combat check against a vampire. One of the items (cross I think) had increased damage against undead, although the encounter did not specify the vampire as undead, I ruled for immersion that it was undead, not just because it was most beneficial for me . What do you think of tis ruling?

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Franka
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I would interpret #1 as suffering the ill effects and immediately returning to Arkham on the same turn (to me, that's immediately). The fact that your character was moved by the first encounter card to the Other World and then back to Arkham would not "undo" the delayed status of your investigator that you acquired in the Other World. So you'd be in Arkham and delayed.

#2: I also remember seeing that the Vampire is not Undead. However, I don't think it was an oversight of the developer. Why was it not listed as undead? Who knows? But it wasn't. And that's the rule. So, by the rulebook, the cross should not give increased damage. Don't assume an oversight on the part of the developer just because it makes thematic sense.

THAT BEING SAID, I'm interpreting your question NOT as "Is the fact that the Vampire is not listed as Undead a mistake," but rather "I'm going to make Vampires Undead because it makes sense to me, and I enjoy it. Anyone else think it makes more thematic sense as well and is more fun that way?" Personally, I enjoy sticking to the rules as much as I can, because it lets me compare my experience and my ability to win the game to the experiences of others when they post here about whether or not they win the game when they play. But that's just me. I think you shouldn't feel bad at all adopting your house rule that vampires are Undead. I can certainly see where the mental image of using the cross to just blow away the vampire with extra damage makes thematic sense and would just be plain fun. And that's what this game is--have fun with it. Enjoy the story it tells. If you're playing solo, then the only person that needs to give consent to your house rule is you. If you're playing with other people, it's reasonable to ask them what they are ok with and then go with that.

Bottom line, if you want to play by the rules, I'd treat it as not Undead. But if you want to fudge a few rules, what does it matter as long as you get the experience you want out of it?

Enjoy the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Anderson
United States
Moorhead
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Chris is 100% right, but I'll just add this on. Being delayed is like an on/off switch. You're either delayed or you're not. If any encounter (or any other game mechanic) anywhere tells you you're delayed, then you're delayed, no matter where you might end up that turn.

And you can't be "double delayed" - if you're already delayed and another card says you're delayed, the second one has no effect. You wouldn't be delayed a second turn or anything. This sounds like it would never happen, but I've been surprised how many times it's actually come up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
1) Yes, you are delayed, and yes you return to Arkham.

2) No, the vampire is not undead because it doesn't say so specifically.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Peterson
United States
Moorhead
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sort of similar question:

Monterey Jack is sucked into a gate at the Witch House during Arkham Encounters. He is delayed in the Abyss. The Other World encounter was something that had no effect. Then, on the Mythos Phase, the card says all investigators may return to Arkham.

Question 1: Can Monty Jack come back even if he's currently delayed?

Question 2: Assuming the answer to question 1 is yes, on the next turn during movement he is undelayed, and then can attempt to close the gate during Arkham Encounters, right?

This is how I played it, and since Monty picked up his 5th clue at the Witch House (which is why he went there in the first place), he sealed a gate without losing any time in an Other World at all. Is this how you'd play it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Franka
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Reverend Pete wrote:
Sort of similar question:

Monterey Jack is sucked into a gate at the Witch House during Arkham Encounters. He is delayed in the Abyss. The Other World encounter was something that had no effect. Then, on the Mythos Phase, the card says all investigators may return to Arkham.

Question 1: Can Monty Jack come back even if he's currently delayed?

Question 2: Assuming the answer to question 1 is yes, on the next turn during movement he is undelayed, and then can attempt to close the gate during Arkham Encounters, right?

This is how I played it, and since Monty picked up his 5th clue at the Witch House (which is why he went there in the first place), he sealed a gate without losing any time in an Other World at all. Is this how you'd play it?

1. Yes. In this case, the returning to Arkham occurs during the Mythos Phase. The only thing that Delayed affects is the Movement phase for an investigator.

2. Yes. The investigator gets an Explored marker whenever he returns from either area of the Other World to an Arkham location that contains a gate corresponding to the Other World that he's coming from. Very fortunate turn of events--sounds like you played it correctly.

Edited for bad spelling.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Søren E.
Denmark
Gredstedbro
flag msg tools
Thank you for your responses.

I will treat being delayed as seperate from other events, which will always happen if encounter says so.

Regarding the vampire: if the cards doesn't say so, it isn't so, I will conclude.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Peters
Germany
Boeblingen
Baden-Wuerttemberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
About the vampire: vampires are traditionally most often but not necessarily undead. A vampire is a person that lives on the blood of other living beings.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Stargaze wrote:
About the vampire: vampires are traditionally most often but not necessarily undead. A vampire is a person that lives on the blood of other living beings.

Yes, but the Vampire chit in Arkham IS undead. Which is what causes this confusion with this particular encounter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.