Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matthew Linn
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My friend and I played this game and had many questions that we needed answers for, I knew this would be the place to look. Two of them are down. I have a few more to go.

1.) When doing the hunt, say as the Shadow Player I am successful three times. Does that mean that I pull 3 tiles?

2.) When doing the hunt and it is successful multiple times, and you can pull more than one tile, is there a maximum that the corruption can be in any one hunt?

3.) Can you "reveal" which I guess means using the ring, to avoid getting corruption, and if so how much?

and finally.

4.) If the hunt is successful and reveals the fellowship, and the fellowship has no moves and they are sitting in a Free People's City or Stronghold, what happens then? The reason I ask is because when they are revealed they can't be in an FP stronghold or city.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
My understanding [since I'm not at home to look at my rules] is 1 tile only no matter how many successes are rolled.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Linn
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok that clears up a lot of things. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Hall
United States
Mesa
AZ
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Can someone else confirm this? If so whoops....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Chapman
United States
Powhatan
Virginia
flag msg tools
Axis & Allies Developer and Playtester; War of the Ring Editor and Playtester
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oni Chikara wrote:
1.) When doing the hunt, say as the Shadow Player I am successful three times. Does that mean that I pull 3 tiles?

No. Only one tile is drawn. The number of successes rolled is only relevant when an Eye tile is drawn, in which case the Hunt damage is equal to that number.

Oni Chikara wrote:
2.) When doing the hunt and it is successful multiple times, and you can pull more than one tile, is there a maximum that the corruption can be in any one hunt?

See above. The Hunt damage for Eyes is limited to the number of successes. However, in Mordor it is limited to the number of dice in the Hunt Box, as Hunt dice aren't rolled.

Oni Chikara wrote:
3.) Can you "reveal" which I guess means using the ring, to avoid getting corruption, and if so how much?

Revealing is not a function of the Hunt. Revealing the Fellowship is moving the Last Known Position voluntarily. Usually this is done to place it in a Free Peoples City or Stronghold in order to heal and shelter or to enter Mordor.

Oni Chikara wrote:
4.) If the hunt is successful and reveals the fellowship, and the fellowship has no moves and they are sitting in a Free People's City or Stronghold, what happens then? The reason I ask is because when they are revealed they can't be in an FP stronghold or city.

This can't happen. If the Hunt was the result of the Fellowship moving, the Fellowship Track marker will be at least at 1. Also, any Event cards that allow a Hunt may only be played if either the Fellowship Track marker is at 1 or higher or if the Fellowship is not in a Free Peoples City or Stronghold.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Linn
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For three I meant that Frodo uses the ring to hide if the hunt is successful.

In number four, what if they have already reset the counter to 0 and are sitting in a city letting the corruption go down, and then the hunt reveals them?

Thank you for the answers btw.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Schwarz
United States
Tucker
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oni Chikara wrote:

In number four, what if they have already reset the counter to 0 and are sitting in a city letting the corruption go down, and then the hunt reveals them?

Thank you for the answers btw.

Short answer: Free People cannot do what you suugest.

The game distiguishes between revealing the fellowship and declaring the fellowship.
Revealing generally happens from a hunt tile.
Declaring is the choice of the FP at the beginning of their turn.
Only declaring reduces corruption.
The fellowship cannot choose to be revealed in a city or stronghold.

I suggest looking at the rules again while paying attention to the distinction between revealing and declaring, and hopefully that will make things clear for you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Linn
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I will do that. Thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Smiles
United States
Dedham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
admin
The ratio of people to cake is too big.
badge
Excuse me, I believe you have my stapler...
mbmbmbmbmb
Oni Chikara wrote:

In order to have a hunt tile drawn, you have to have attempted to move. Therefore you should be at least at level 1 and will be able to move 1 or more space away.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Linn
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
But what if you were at the hunt roll phase and it was sucessful and the movement counter was at 0, the FP could not have moved it and the hunt will happen right, or did I misread the rules?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Linn
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Does the hunt not happen every turn?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Schwarz
United States
Tucker
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

No. Only when the fellowship use a die to move. Draw a hunt tile when the hunt is successful.

Outside Morder, you roll dice (one for each eye in the hunt box) to determine if the hunt is successful.
Inside Mordor, the hunt is always successful.

There can be many hunt tiles drawn if the fellowship moves more than once, or none if they never move.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Linn
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OOOOOHHHHHHH. That makes so much more sense now, and that helps my friend being really worried about the game being horribly unbalanced. I really was reading the rules wrong. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ErikPeter Walker
United States
Rochester
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
boardgamegeek.com/boardgameexpansion/145148/
badge
Expand
mbmbmbmbmb
Talltim wrote:
Quote:

No. Only when the fellowship use a die to move. Draw a hunt tile when the hunt is successful.

Outside Morder, you roll dice (one for each eye in the hunt box) to determine if the hunt is successful.
Inside Mordor, the hunt is always successful.

There can be many hunt tiles drawn if the fellowship moves more than once, or none if they never move.

That said, the Free People's player is usually wise to move at least once a turn, unless the hunt box is full or something.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Chapman
United States
Powhatan
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oni Chikara wrote:
Krieghund wrote:
Oni Chikara wrote:

Revealing is not a function of the Hunt. Revealing the Fellowship is moving the Last Known Position voluntarily. Usually this is done to place it in a Free Peoples City or Stronghold in order to heal and shelter or to enter Mordor.

Using the Ring after a successful Hunt is what causes Corruption. Any Hunt damage left over after protection cards (Horn of Gondor, Axe and Bow, etc.) and Companion casualties are resolved is taken as Corruption because Frodo must use the Ring to deal with the threat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Linn
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you all for the advice and the answering of the questions it will make it a whole lot more fun in the next play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Klempa
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Krieghund wrote:
Oni Chikara wrote:

Just to be clear, Revealing IS a function of the Hunt.

Declaring is not a function of the Hunt. Declaring the Fellowship is moving the Last Known Position voluntarily. Usually this is done to place it in a Free Peoples City or Stronghold in order to heal and shelter or to enter Mordor.
It might also be noted that when the FP Declares the Fellowship, it is still Hidden.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Chapman
United States
Powhatan
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow! Dyslexia in action. I read "declare", even while I was typing "reveal". I guess I was just thinking about healing corruption, as opposed to avoiding it. blushshake

Good catch, Dave!

At any rate, you can't reveal the Fellowship to avoid corruption, unless you're using Gollum's Guide ability.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.