Subject: How do the aircraft influence battles - poll rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrzej Sieradzki
Poland
Opole
flag msg tools
badge
We don't stop playing when we get old, but we get old when we stop playing.
mbmbmbmbmb
After over 20 games played using aircraft I came to the conclusion that their impact on a course of a game is limited. Some players are also very reluctant as far as using planes is concerned. I wonder what is the community opinion.
Choose an appropriate level of influence according to your personal game experience, like: 1 - very limited influence, 5 - very high.

I choose: 2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Patterson
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
2. My limited experience is that the influence is minimal but what's there is mostly negative, as in a distraction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
2 sounds about right.

But might as well make it an official poll.

Poll
Choose an appropriate level of influence according to your personal game experience
1 - Very Little Influence
5 - Very High Influence
      38 answers
Poll created by ColtsFan76
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Earl
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I chose 3, only because there was no option for 2.5.

I almost always play as the Germans, and the Storch has saved more wounded infantry units that I can count.

Having just started the Fall Gelb campaign, I can tell you the influence of air units is much greater there, as the Allies have none and the Germans have Blitz rules (allowing Recon 1 to be used as Air Sortie). So, in some scenarios I'm able to sit back in my defensive terrain and pick off the Allied troops with aircraft.

But, on the whole, the aircraft are not game breakers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Arnold
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd have to agree with 2 there. The limited times we've used aircraft they seemed to be more of an annoyance to both sides than anything else. Being forced to burn up an order just to keep the plane moving alone really negates any true use for it. Can't get much of a 'combined arms' strike going if you keep drawing "probe recon right/left" cards and have to keep the aircraft moving, so the ground units are static. yuk

I've been toying with the idea of monkeying around with a "new" set of air rules for to make them more viable with out destroying the balance of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
StevenE Smooth Sailing...
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am still not thrilled with the aviation mechanic and am mostly in agreement with Wired_Wolf.

I hardly see them played because of their relatively low ROI.

I gave it a 2 because there was no 1.5....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrzej Sieradzki
Poland
Opole
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the use of Air Pack aircraft is limited due to 2 factors:
1) high potential risk of loosing a medal without inflicting serius damage to the enemy,
2) burning command cards to keep an aircraft flying.

:soblue:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mik Svellov
Denmark
Copenhagen N
EU
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It is my experience that artillery is very effectively silenced by strafing.

And pinning down enemy troops when you are performing a breakthrough is also quite effective.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrzej Sieradzki
Poland
Opole
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good point, Dane. Indeed, arty starts on a baseline quite often, so flags are hits!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John O'Haver
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Pet photographer, that's me.
mbmbmbmbmb
In general, I've never felt that the Air Rules were very well integrated into the system. The Air Check over terrain types is plain goofy. Let's see, a plane can fly over, see AND bomb or strafe an enemy unit in a Woods without making an Air Check but if it ends it's move on an empty Woods hex it might hit a tree? Even for a war themed game as abstract as Memoir '44, that is too much.

Recently, I played the Allies in a couple of the scenarios from the France '40 campaign in the Campaign book in which the Allied Infantry were in sandbagged Towns and Allied Artillery was in sandbagged cover on the baseline and the German fighter was an absolute nuisance. He played to use it every turn. In each game, it must have scored 8 or more hits and 4 or 5 Flags. It was never forced to make an Air Check. (Blitz rules were in effect.)

Since it hits on symbols, Grenades, Stars and since Flags cannot be ignored, the Luftwaffe destroyed my Artillery and drove my Infantry out of entrenched positions causing the loss of the sandbags.

The latter seems grossly overpowering in that a single die against a full strength Infantry in a sandbagged Town could force an abandonment said position.

On the other hand, I'm not sure his ground forces could have even come close without the Me 109 on board.

Ah, well. In general, I think the Air Rules suck. I only use them when a scenario say they are mandatory.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garrett Potvin
United States
Brooklyn Park
MN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I gave them a 2 and I think that is about perfect. M'44 is a good system and I am glad they did not make air too powerful and change the game too much. To me air is one of the many options you have, you just need to time it correctly. Good addition to the system without changing the game play too much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clexton27
United States
Forest
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I did use ground support in one game to devastating effect as armor and aircraft can wreak havoc on units that thought they were in cover now getting a full load of dice from several armor units.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Gibson
United States
San Diego (Scripps Ranch)
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Really surprised at the voting! I gave it a 4. Although the airplane is typically over the FOB for a short time (like maybe one turn), the damage done can be significant. Most rolls result in a hit and units cannot ignore a retreat. If used effectively, the plane can, and does, inflict damage! Yes, there are situations when you just don't have the right cards to utilize the plane. In this instance, just keep the plane off the board!

When the circumstances are right, though, I use the plane either at the beginning of the game (when opposing units are at the back edge of the board) or during an advance when you want to improve the odds of taking an objective. Once accomplished, I have no problem simply picking the plane up and removing it (thus, sparing it from getting shot down). To me, if a plane can take out 2 to 3 units then it has accomplished its mission - and it is possible for this to occur in just one turn! I have personally experienced games that, if not for the plane, would have been decided differently. If there was one word to express the use of the plane it would be TIMING. When and where you place the plane is critical to its success!

The following is how I used to feel about the air expansion: "I've never felt that the Air Rules were very well integrated into the system. The Air Check over terrain types is plain goofy. Let's see, a plane can fly over, see AND bomb or strafe an enemy unit in a Woods without making an Air Check but if it ends it's move on an empty Woods hex it might hit a tree?"

Agreed, hitting a tree is far from realistic. Rather, I rationalize it more as though the plane stayed too long in the AO and was subsequently shot down by an AA gun. Flying over the trees would be dangerous because it would be one of the most likely places for an AA gun to conceal itself.

Other comments mention that it is too risky to have the plane shot down and, thus, award a medal to the other side. My strategy is to use the plane one turn or, perhaps, two turns. If I am compelled to land adjacent to an enemy unit then on the subsequent turn I simply remove the plane (with no risk of losing a medal). I don't waste an order and I can concentrate on another part of the battlefield.

Maybe there is a sense that the plane is suppose to be in the AO for more than one turn, thus the low vote. I don't have the answer for that one. Still, I would argue that the plane CAN have an impact on the game.

I sense that Richard Borg designed the air expansion to have a brief but decided impact on the game - at the same time complimenting and not taking over the game's basic playability. To me, even if the plane is used for one or two turns, it is certainly worth it. Whatever the rationale, I don't understand how the voting can't at least be a 3!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.