Hey, I've created a video channel! Hover over my avatar to get more info! :) - Josh -
Canada
Cambridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
My video channel has a Facebook page - Find it by searching "Josh Yaks page" on Facebook
badge
Find my video channel on YouTube as "Josh Yaks"!
mbmbmbmbmb
...a long time!

But before I get into the specifics, allow me to very briefly discuss the two major difficulties that arose when attempting to come up with this answer.

Firstly, the "playing time" listed by many manufacturers seems to be seriously underestimated (I assume they're afraid of scaring off potential customers if they were to list more realistic playing times?). When looking at everything from smaller strategy games such as Mr. Jack, Hey, That's My Fish!, Hive, Quoridor, Carcassonne: The City and Dungeon Twister, to big monster games such as War of the Ring (First Edition), Attack!, Conquest of the Empire, Fury of Dracula (second edition), Ikusa, and Galactic Emperor, it seems clear to me that, with a full complement of players for each game, I could quite reasonably double the actual playing time for every one of those particular examples (though clearly not for every game in my collection). Heck, even the listed playing time of 30 minutes for PitchCar is close to the amount of time it takes us to unpack the game, set up a track, and shim each of the joined track sections with playing cards. So if I went with a more reasonable playing time for every game I own, it would clearly add many hours to the total.

Secondly, there's the issue of expansions. It seems that most game expansions add to a game's length. Add to this the complication that some expansions (such as Under the Shadow of the Dragon) can be played as a stand-alone game, and it starts to create a real headache.

So how did I handle these complications? Why, with the KISS method, of course ! I simply went with the stated playing time for each game and ignored expansions altogether, sticking with the 86 individual games that I own. I could have estimated how much time it would take a full complement of players to play each game with all the expansions that I own, but that would have been far too much work snore !

Therefore, using this simplest of methods, I calculated that if I were to play every single game I own back-to-back it would take me...

5,920 minutes (an average of 68.8 minutes per game)

or

98.67 hours

or

4.11 days

So what was the whole point of this rather boring exercise? Well, mostly I just wanted to feel better about the fact that I have no spare change to be spending on new games for the foreseeable future. I clearly have plenty of great games to keep me busy for a while!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Gates
United States
Essex
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I frankly don't believe I have enough time left to play all of my games back-to-back.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Riggs
United States
Missouri Valley
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thats insane!

with my 22 game library (not counting expansions) it would take me

2515 minutes or

36 hours and 5 minutes or

a day and a half

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Marlow
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Using your 'double the stated playing time' rule, it would take me just shy of 80 days to get through my games. If I go for a more realistic schedule of 12 hours a day to allow for sleep and other biological needs, it jumps to 160 days.

This is doable.

The next question is, do I proceed alphabetically, or by box size?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hey, I've created a video channel! Hover over my avatar to get more info! :) - Josh -
Canada
Cambridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
My video channel has a Facebook page - Find it by searching "Josh Yaks page" on Facebook
badge
Find my video channel on YouTube as "Josh Yaks"!
mbmbmbmbmb
sjmarlow wrote:
Using your 'double the stated playing time' rule

While most game times seem to run longer than the stated playing time, not all of them will run double the time (as in the specific examples I gave). I've changed the wording in the post slightly in order to avoid any confusion.

sjmarlow wrote:
This is doable.

That's the spirit!

sjmarlow wrote:
The next question is, do I proceed alphabetically, or by box size?

Alphabetically would avoid any confusion that might cause you to have to start over from the beginning after several weeks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Fuller
United States
Virginia Beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Using your results and applying it roughly to the amount of games I have and I'm looking at 28 days or so. That's without reading rules too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Thompson
United States
Homewood
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If I include ASL, should I include all scenarios and campaign games? Or should I just add a few years to cover it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
marc lecours
Canada
ottawa
ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Just one game of world in flames (all dressed) would probably take 120 to 150 hours.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
Let's see, World in Flames, 7 Ages, and Empires in Arms total 14,960 minutes (based on doubling the time which I suspect STILL understates how long WIF and EiA really take). Approximately 10 solid days of gaming - and that's just games from Harry Rowland!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grzegorz Kobiela
Germany
Hanover
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Editor at Lookout Games
mbmbmbmbmb
Believing my database, to play all of the 265 basegames I own (counting just the stated minimum play times) would take me:

15000 minutes

= 250 hours

= 10.5 days

With a realistic daily play time of 4 hours, I might be ready in two months.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Steadman
United States
Evans
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LoL... I don't even want to add up my wargame collection...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Davis
United States
New Concord
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BrenoK wrote:
I'd die of lack of sleep before even reaching A (if you count the games that I've ordered and haven't arrived yet or that I'm about to print out)

18AL - 3 hours, 18EU - 5 hours, 1856 - 5 hours, 1870 - 8 hours, 1895 - 3 hours, 1824 - 6 hours, 1844 - 8 hours, 1848 - 5 hours, 1841 - 9 hours, 1889 - 4 hours, 18MEX- 4 hours, 1846 - 3 hours, 18SX - 5 hours, 18Rhl - 4 hours, 18VA - 4 hours, 1854 - 5 hours...

73 hours of 18xx... damn.

Let's not kid ourselves - 73 hours worth of 18xx? Your head would explode long before you died of exhaustion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Dalton
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
squash wrote:
Well, mostly I just wanted to feel better about the fact that I have no spare change to be spending on new games for the foreseeable future. I clearly have plenty of great games to keep me busy for a while!

Amen to that (for me too!) - I need to spend less time going after games, and more time enjoying what I have already. Some of my games have only been played 0-1 times! Somehow... I feel I'm probably not the only one either.

As a side thought, it's amazing to me how non-gamers can spend an evening or even a weekend playing simple games over and over again, My parent's always rave about their "phase 10 marathons" that they have while camping... I'm really glad I got married and moved out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Lowry
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tompy wrote:
If I include ASL, should I include all scenarios and campaign games? Or should I just add a few years to cover it?

Yeah, and then I need to add another couple of years for my SFB collection.... And then there's Federation & Empire with all the expansions (probably about as long as WiF).

The First Punic War scenario in Carthage is looking shorter all the time!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.