Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott S.
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I decided yesterday that I am going to go to Gen Con. I have never been to a gaming convention before, so I figured I might as well start with the best in the US. However, I'm having a really hard time finding a hotel within walking distance. The only thing I could find was the Canterbury for $400+ a night. Does anyone have any suggestions or insider information on how I might get a room within walking distance for a semi-reasonable price? Thanks so much for the help!

Edit: I have already registered for BGG Con and booked a room there. I just can't wait until November to get to a con!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Cunningham
United States
Lake Geneva
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

You might be out of luck at this point. Try contacting some of the hotels close by and see if they have a "standby" list in case someone cancels.

I made my reservations April 16th and was lucky even then to get a room at the Hyatt. Most anything that's left is out by the airport.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark sellmeyer
United States
st louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
most of the hotel rooms go as soon as badge registration opens early in the year.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom
United States
Plainfield
ILLINOIS
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I got a hotel near the airport. If you don't want to drive a Taxi ride is around $14 one way (unless they try to rip you off). Parking, as I recall ranges from $10-$19 near the convention but parking is tight. Last year there were three other events going on (including the new Colt stadium opening) so it is mass chaos. Hotels on the fringes will always be available (I got my last year on Thursday the first day of Gen Con). Quite frankly, I suspect more will open up at the last minute but good luck because they will go fast and they will be expensive. I kind of feel ripped considering at Origin's the hotel right across the street was only $139 a night.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom
United States
Plainfield
ILLINOIS
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I got a hotel near the airport. If you don't want to drive a Taxi ride is around $14 one way (unless they try to rip you off). Parking, as I recall ranges from $10-$19 near the convention but parking is tight. Last year there were three other events going on (including the new Colt stadium opening) so it is mass chaos. Hotels on the fringes will always be available (I got my last year on Thursday the first day of Gen Con). Quite frankly, I suspect more will open up at the last minute but good luck because they will go fast and they will be expensive. I kind of feel ripped considering at Origin's the hotel right across the street was only $139 a night.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Haggard
United States
New Whiteland
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are several hotels about 5-7 miles south of the convention center, right off I-65 South and Southport Road.

If a rental car is in your budget, then you should be able to find an affordable hotel room fairly close. There is even a motel the next exit down for $169 weekly. Even though it is cheap, it is fairly new so it should not be a complete dive.

If you have any other questions just let me know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Johnson
United States
Cedar Park
Texas
flag msg tools
Well me known for eating cookie when me don't they shout
badge
Look! He try to throw loyal fans a curve!
mbmbmbmbmb
I did my first GenCon last year and also got the hotel about this time. We stayed about 8-9 miles away and rented a car- on Hotwire you can do so for about $15 a day. It wasn't too horrible- there were a good number of garages around where we could park.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Rolvsbakken
United States
Arvada
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
Black & Read is at 80th & Wadsworth in Arvada, CO. 1-800-467-3236. Open 7 Days!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey-
Want to know how this works? GenCon contracted with Passkey. They reserved all the rooms in the connecting Marriott hotel at a reservation price of $179, (currently.) Technically you could book locally with Marriott if you're with the convention for the $179, but they refer you back to the national reservation line... and they can't book you at all. You HAVE to got through PASSKEY and they are charging in the neighborhood of $350. (At least they were a week ago) Yes. It's a racket.
I booked at the Residence Inn, (Marriott Property), Indianopolis Downtown on the Canal. They are only a couple of blocks away, but you get free breakfast and the rooms are huge. With a AAA rate, they are $225 a night.
Hope this helps,
Derek

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Jackson
United States
Indianapolis
IN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out the IUPUI Conference Center hotel. It would be about a 5 block walk but I would guess most visitors dont look there for a room. Might work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Maxwell
United States
Burtchville
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've got a large suite at the Hilton which is within walking distance. We have room for a couple more people. I'll shoot you a geekmail.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig West
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
if anyone is still looking for a room, i had luck with some bed and breakfasts just north of the city center, a short bus/taxi ride from the convention center. there are a few owned by the same people. one is called the stone soup inn. if you google that you'll get to their site which handles reservations for all their properties. seems like a nice place. rooms were $100 and up when we booked. cheers. c

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.