BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Agricola / Caylus Fan looking for another Heavy Game. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joseph Garnett
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
Hey everyone, I've been looking around the site for awhile now but this is my first time to post. And I need recommendations! Here's what I already own:

Agricola - love it!
Puerto Rico - eh, it's alright.
Caylus - another great game!
Settlers of Catan + Expansions - boring by itself but fun with everything!
Power Grid - didn't really like it. much easier than expected.

Here's generally what I look for in a new game:

Heavier games. Usually 3.0 weight or higher!
Usually no more than 2 hours...possibly would consider up to 3 hrs.
Small or no luck involved.
Not really looking for a war game either.

I have read alot of good things about games like Kingsburg, Dominion, StoneAge, and Small World but the weights aren't quite where I'd like it to be. For tactical and strategic gamers are these ones worth our time?

Any of you have any awesome recommendations?!?!

P.S. I have also just ordered Amun-Re and In the Shadow of the Emperor. None in our group has ever played either, did I make good choices?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Knauer
United States
Heathrow
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
These should keep you entertained for a while:

Goa
In the Year of the Dragon
The Princes of Florence
El Grande
Through the Ages: A Story of Civilization
Brass: Lancashire
Le Havre
Tigris & Euphrates
Age of Steam
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dice bags!
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Take a look at Amyitis and Cuba. Agricola and Cuba are my two "tens". (It depends what you like and don't like about Puerto Rico, whether you would like Cuba, but I'll throw it out there.) Stone Age is fun, but it's lighter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
Le Havre seems like the obvious choice. Same designer as Agricola and has a lot of similarities to Caylus - players build buildings that have different capabilities. You can use other player's buildings but you have to pay them for the privilege. If you love both Agricola and Caylus and are looking for a heavy/longish game, I can't imagine Le Havre not being a hit. One possible caveat is that while it technically supports 5, the rules expressly state that you probably shouldn't try it with that many until you all know what you are doing. It is generally thought to be best with 2 or 3 (I've only played 2/3, but that seems right to me).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Amun-Re is one of the most deceptively deep games I have seen. In the first few plays, players usually think "is that it?". After another couple plays something clicks and it becomes a favorite.

Shadow of the Emperor is another subtle but extremely deep game. An experienced player will absolutely crush a newer player. This is really the only reason why I don't play it as much as I used to. Such an amazing game for $20 (or whatever the retail price is now... it was $15 when I bought it).

Based on your post, I would strongly recommend Brass: Lancashire. It doesn't get much heavier than this for a modern eurogame. Playtime will usually clock 2.5 hours until everyone is really experienced, though. Yet another deep game where strategies and tactics remain undiscovered even after many plays.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Jackson
United States
Mather
California
flag msg tools
OK, one time Randy Beaman had to take baths with his brother. So one time his little brother took a potty in the bathtub .....and now Randy Beaman gets to take showers alone. 'K, bye.
badge
One time, OK, see, one time Randy Beaman's little brother ate Pop Rocks and drank a soda at the same time and his head exploded! 'K, bye.
mbmbmbmbmb
All of the above listed are great, but I can also recommend these:

Automobile - very mathy, but great interaction
Sylla - tough decisions on how to use your cards
Parthenon: Rise of the Aegean - Settlers of Catanish because of the trading and building
Railways of the World - Much more forgiving than previously mentioned Age of Steam
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Garnett
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
I'm sure I probably would like Le Harve, but i've read in places that it may be too similar to Agricola and Caylus. Is this true or does it have enough differences that it would be worth the $60+?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
We will sing to you Doctor... the universe will sing you to your sleep.
mbmbmbmbmb

Perhaps a game from the Rondel series? Many prefer Imperial or Antike, but my favorite is Hamburgum. It's a shorter game than the first two, and also doesn't have the combat. Pure strategy/no luck, and very elegantly balanced.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Cunningham
United States
Lake Geneva
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Emira

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh "Der Spieler" Spillers
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cferejohn wrote:
Le Havre seems like the obvious choice. Same designer as Agricola and has a lot of similarities to Caylus - players build buildings that have different capabilities. You can use other player's buildings but you have to pay them for the privilege. If you love both Agricola and Caylus and are looking for a heavy/longish game, I can't imagine Le Havre not being a hit. One possible caveat is that while it technically supports 5, the rules expressly state that you probably shouldn't try it with that many until you all know what you are doing. It is generally thought to be best with 2 or 3 (I've only played 2/3, but that seems right to me).

Well put! I agree that Le Havre is the way to go. When I saw the subject for this thread it was the first game that came to mind. We all thought it was definitely different enough from Agricola and Caylus, and well worth the price tag.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
eknauer wrote:
These should keep you entertained for a while:
Through the Ages: A Story of Civilization

I love this game, but unless his "group" is two, they will never get under 3 hours ( and that is after a few grueling 8+ hour sessions).

Quote:

I can't wait to play my copy so I can comment on this one!

Quote:

I think this could be an excellent match for you. Certainly a brain burner once you get the basics down. The caveats are a very, very thin theme, and there aren't a lot of knobs to twiddle. IMHO it is much closer in feel to chess or checkers than Caylus or Agricola.

RE: Stone Age - stay away from it if you want depth. It is to Caylus like Zooloretto is to Puerto Rico.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Железный комиссар
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Le Havre and Brass seem like the obvious choices to me. Both with weight ratings in the high 3s. Both 2-3 hours. It helps that they're incredible games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fel Barros
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Senior Game Developer at CMON
mbmbmbmbmb
Antiquity is incredible if you are willing to ditch the 100+ dollars.

Same for Planet Steam.

Other than that, I highly encourage Le Havre (45 dollars at B&b), Brass and Automobile. The new Steam is also a good choice.

Have fun
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dice bags!
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jmav4 wrote:
I'm sure I probably would like Le Harve, but i've read in places that it may be too similar to Agricola and Caylus. Is this true or does it have enough differences that it would be worth the $60+?

Le Havre is not much at all similar to Agricola. Whether it's worth the $60 is a matter of opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My suggestions would be Steam, Le Havre, Imperial (though I actually prefer Antike of the rondel games, Imperial is probably a better fit to your requirements), and I would also urge you to give Power Grid a couple more goes. I largely ignored it since it's release until just a few months ago, playing it only a few times, but now I can't seem to get enough of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Aldridge
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Infinite Dreams Gaming
badge
Warehouse 13: The Board Game
mbmbmbmbmb
jmav4 wrote:

Nah, man... buy it with confidence. I've got all 3, and I definitely enjoy Le Havre.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brant Benoit
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
La Città

Long term strategy, and heavy game play.
It might fit the bill.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Hinrickson
United States
St Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Cuba
Wealth of Nations
Confucius

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Judy
United States
Cottonwood
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Sylla, Yspahan, Notre Dame or Le Havre all meet your requirements.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Green
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Does nobody even remember Die Macher?? I thought it was the ultimate heavy eurogame.

What about Age of Steam?

Oh also, Wealth of Nations is, like Planet Steam, based on M.U.L.E. the computer game, but it is much cheaper although admittedly worse graphics.

If you like worker placement and building, you might try Age of Empires III: The Age of Discovery but it's probably lighter than you would like, maybe on par with other worker placement games but lighter than Caylus.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Железный комиссар
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bookgnome wrote:
Does nobody even remember Die Macher?? I thought it was the ultimate heavy eurogame.

When someone cites Agricola and Caylus and says "3 hours tops," Die Macher does not cross my mind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Dean
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Pound for pound, the amoeba is the most vicious predator on Earth!
mbmbmb
Also, not all fans of heavy eurogames like Die Macher...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Sturm
United States
Lancaster
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We have very similar tastes.

If you are as much like me as I think you are....

You wont like....., Wealth of Nations, Shadow of the Emperor, Automobile, Amun-re. Dominion, Race for the Galaxy, San Juan and similar games and most any filler will not satisfy you.

But you will love, Age of Steam, Age of Empires III, Shogun and Brass. Buy these games as soon as possible

You also might want to try Goa, Die Macher, Tigris and Euphrates, In the Year of the Dragon and Railroad Tycoon

For lighter games you might like Domaine, Notre Dame, empire builder series and Acquire

You will think these games are just okay; Cuba, Stone Age, le havre (to agricolaish), Pillars, dominion, kingsburg, small world, non-Caylus Ystari games.

Then eventually you will discover your joy for the lurking gem that is the 18xx series. You will get over the time constraints

You also very much enjoy very burnettes, George RR Martin, bitter pale ales, german cuisine, and disc golf.

Let me know how much is true
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Wiebe
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is probably all you need right here:
Brass: Lancashire

Shogun and La Citta are very good IMHO as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
Le Havre is probably closer to Caylus than Agricola. If you're looking for something a bit different (and maybe a new type of game to explore) Brass or Steam would probably fit the bill.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.