Dominion» Forums » Rules

Subject: Chapel trashing no cards rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Bell
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Slightly odd question - chapel says "trash up to 4 cards". Can I choose zero cards?

You might want to do this to have spent an extra action before playing a conspirator. It seems like you should be able to do this but I can't find a clarification anywhere.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave
United States
Summerville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
What daring! What outrageousness! What insolence! What arrogance!... I salute you.
badge
Conan! What is best in life? Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't see any problem with not trashing any cards. I would think if you had too it would say "trash 1 to 4 cards."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald X.
United States
flag msg tools
designer
RockHawk wrote:
Slightly odd question - chapel says "trash up to 4 cards". Can I choose zero cards?

You might want to do this to have spent an extra action before playing a conspirator. It seems like you should be able to do this but I can't find a clarification anywhere.

Yes, "up to" includes zero.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Brown
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dmcallahan wrote:
I don't see any problem with not trashing any cards. I would think if you had too it would say "trash 1 to 4 cards."

So, could I trash a negative number of cards?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiago Nunes
Portugal
Odivelas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pilight wrote:
dmcallahan wrote:

So, could I trash a negative number of cards?

I believe it only uses natural numbers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you trash a fractional number of cards, your host will probably be upset that you're tearing his cards in half.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it says somewhere in the rules that you don't have to use all the powers of your cards. For example, if you have +2 buys, you don't have to buy three things.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Githens
United States
Piedmont
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why would you bother playing it to trash zero cards, is there some other benefit of playing the chapel?

Unless there are new cards that reward you for playing cards on your turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Tall_Walt wrote:
I think it says somewhere in the rules that you don't have to use all the powers of your cards. For example, if you have +2 buys, you don't have to buy three things.

Quite the opposite. You always have to use the powers of your cards.

Of course, all a +Buy card does is give you an additional right-to-buy. You HAVE to increase your number of available buys that turn. Of course, like all buys, including the one you get by default, you are not forced to make a purchase.

But don't start saying something dangerous like "you don't have to use all the powers of your cards." You do. You're never obligated to actually consume an action (not even the one you get by default), nor consume a buy (not even the one you get by default). But you are required to do everything a card instructs you to do (including increasing your number of available buys or actions).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave G
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
El Chupacabratwurst
mbmbmbmbmb
Helios180 wrote:
Why would you bother playing it to trash zero cards, is there some other benefit of playing the chapel?

Sure. Say in a game with the base set you started your turn with Gold, Festival, Festival, Chapel, and Library. You want to play the chapel out of your hand so you can draw more cards with your library, but you certainly don't want to trash the gold.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Branko K.
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tall_Walt wrote:

Nope, it doesn't say that. In fact, it says you MUST do all that you CAN do (page 3, 3rd paragraph if you want to check it out). So whenever in doubt, just add "If you can, you must" in front of each sentence on the card. Take Upgrade, for instance:

"Trash a card from your hand. Gain a card costing exactly one more then the trashed card"

this REALLY reads:

"If you can, you must trash a card from your hand. If you can, you must gain a card costing exactly one more then the trashed card".

The only way you CANNOT trash a card is if you don't have any cards - if you do, you MUST trash one of them. Similarly, if there are cards available costing *exactly* one more, you MUST take one of them; if there aren't (if you trashed Copper for instance) then you cannot do the second part, so you can ignore it.

The +Buy you mentioned is just the "right" to buy more cards,. From the rules:

Quote:
+Buy - the player may buy additional card from the supply during the Buy phase from his turn."

As for the original question, the crucial part is "up to 4 cards", as folks already said. Still, a scenario where you need to play the Chapel but not trash any cards is really exotic. The mentioned "I have a lot of extra Actions and a Library but this Chapel is in the way" is the only feasible one, and I don't think I ever saw it in practice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
Plaatsvervangende Schaamte
badge
mbmbmb
baba44713 wrote:
As for the original question, the crucial part is "up to 4 cards", as folks already said. Still, a scenario where you need to play the Chapel but not trash any cards is really exotic. The mentioned "I have a lot of extra Actions and a Library but this Chapel is in the way" is the only feasible one, and I don't think I ever saw it in practice.

The original question was not about Library:

RockHawk wrote:
You might want to do this to have spent an extra action before playing a conspirator.

I think we will need an official ruling on this because 0 is 'up to 4' if we consider the precident of cost never dropping below zero.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JonPrud wrote:
I think we will need an official ruling on this because 0 is 'up to 4' if we consider the precident of cost never dropping below zero.

I don't understand what the sentence means, but the answer to the question of whether the Chapel can trash zero cards is obviously yes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Richards
United States
Salem
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

The third post is from Donald himself.

Quote:

I don't know how much more "official" it can be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wolfe
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Zendo fan, Columbus Blue Jackets fan, Dominion Fan.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JonPrud wrote:
baba44713 wrote:

The original question was not about Library:

RockHawk wrote:
You might want to do this to have spent an extra action before playing a conspirator.

It can also come in handy for the Shanty Town.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
Plaatsvervangende Schaamte
badge
mbmbmb
filovirus wrote:
Quote:

The third post is from Donald himself.

Quote:

I don't know how much more "official" it can be.

Oops. Then I recant my post. modest

I made the false assumption that because people were still arguing discussing the usage of the word 'may' that we hadn't heard from our sponsor.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Schaeffer
United States
Unspecified
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JonPrud wrote:
RockHawk wrote:

What kind of "official ruling" do you need? Whether playing a Chapel and trashing 0 cards counts as an action for purposes of the Conspirator? I'd say it does, based solely on a reading of the rules and the cards. It seems pretty simple to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Chen
Taiwan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Helios180 wrote:

Library.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Brown
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Golux13 wrote:
JonPrud wrote:
RockHawk wrote:

What kind of "official ruling" do you need? Whether playing a Chapel and trashing 0 cards counts as an action for purposes of the Conspirator? I'd say it does, based solely on a reading of the rules and the cards. It seems pretty simple to me.

We need an official ruling on whether we can trash less than zero.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Branko K.
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That would either involve picking up cards from the trash, or breaking the space-time continuum and ending all creation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirkwb
United States
Nevada
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
pilight wrote:
Golux13 wrote:
JonPrud wrote:
RockHawk wrote:

You need to explain how exactly you would propose accomplishing that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
kirkwb wrote:
pilight wrote:

Get the game's designer to publicly make a ruling here on BoardGameGeek?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Branko K.
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nah, you would never get an actual game designer to answer the questions over here. What a silly thought.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Schaeffer
United States
Unspecified
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tall_Walt wrote:
kirkwb wrote:
pilight wrote:

Get the game's designer to publicly make a ruling here on BoardGameGeek?

I thought the question was about how you would trash less than zero cards. Are you suggesting there is anything in the rules or on the Chapel card that would enable a player to pull a card out of the trash pile? Is that what you want the designer to rule on? Because that seems like an absolutely ridiculous case of rules-lawyering sophistry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave G
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
El Chupacabratwurst
mbmbmbmbmb
kirkwb wrote:
pilight wrote:
Golux13 wrote:
JonPrud wrote:
RockHawk wrote:

I'm pretty sure the comment about trashing less than zero was a joke. I can only hope, anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.