Subject: Variant: Instant-Death Chit rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian Stock
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
A small variant regarding the instant-death damage chit:

1. If you draw the instant-death chit, it only takes effect if you are in the same hex or an adjacent hex to the firer, otherwise, discard it and draw another damage chit.

I've been using this variant to simulate the added deadliness of point-blank firefights--not only is a squad easier to hit, but it can also take more damage. It's a minor variant, but I'm posting it in case anyone else would like to try it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JL Meseguer
Spain
flag msg tools
I like this variant you propose. It reduces a bit the luck factor and is in theme with the lethality of close combat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Piero
Italy
Florence
flag msg tools
Life and death come and go like marionettes dancing on a table. Once their strings are cut, they easily crumble.
badge
What we see now is like a dim image in a mirror. Then we shall see face to face.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hm... I disagree. If you take away the death chit you will start to count on the fact that there is not even a small chance of a kill, if you make that dash through open terrain. ninja
I don't think combat in CoH is that lethal, compared to other experiences such as Squad Leader (ok, in CoH there are even a LOT less units).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gorgoneion wrote:
Hm... I disagree. If you take away the death chit you will start to count on the fact that there is not even a small chance of a kill, if you make that dash through open terrain. ninja

You can always get killed because the opponent rolls +4. In fact, that's more likely most of the time than drawing the kill chit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Piero
Italy
Florence
flag msg tools
Life and death come and go like marionettes dancing on a table. Once their strings are cut, they easily crumble.
badge
What we see now is like a dim image in a mirror. Then we shall see face to face.
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
Gorgoneion wrote:

You can always get killed because the opponent rolls +4. In fact, that's more likely most of the time than drawing the kill chit.

Agreed. But you can calculate your risks. With the chit, you know that enemy fire can be lethal even if your odds are good in getting only a chit (and for instance having a quick autorally card).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gorgoneion wrote:
Agreed. But you can calculate your risks.

Why can't you calculate your risks when the kill chit is in the cup? You just add up the two probabilities.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Piero
Italy
Florence
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So you agree on the variant, will you play it that way?
Or are you simply criticizing what I write?

You are right saying that you may well calculate even the risk from the instant death chit, so I will reformulate my thought and what I was saying.
blush

Without the instant death chit (at longer ranges than adjacent or CC), damage taken by fire will be a little less lethal, if that goes with you, by all means play it.
But as I think that firepower should be a little more dangerous in this game, then I prefer to keep the instant death chit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Phelps
United States
Canal Fulton
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another option would be rather than discarding it, put it back in the pool and draw again. That way it's still a possibility, just much less likely.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.