Notre Dame» Forums » General

Subject: Are we the only ones still playing Notre Dame? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave Martin
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since there hasn't been any talk here lately, I thought I'd check - is anyone out there still playing Notre Dame?
For our gaming group, it's still being played - likely more than any other game the last 6 months.
I've seen mention somewhere that some people felt that once they 'figured it out' there didn't seem to be as much point in playing it anymore... I'm not sure if we've 'figured it out', but my wife and I do get 70 or more pts more often than not... even though we have more or less established strategies, it still varies because of which cards come together, when, and how the players you're playing with play their cards...
Therefore, for us, it's still our number 1 game, and I look forward to many more plays - and to the expansion when it comes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Richardson
United States
Gresham
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh no, I don't think you're the only ones still playing ND. I still see it being played here in Portland, Oregon, particularly at the Lucky Lab Brewpub Thursday night Meetups.(Hey! Today is Thursday. Maybe we'll play...UHmmm...beer.)

By far not my favorite, but still an enjoyable excursion. I'm in the process of 'figuring it out', but don't think I'll ever solve it. Takes some of the fun out, I think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John W
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
IMO, what you are seeing (little excitement/activity) is proof that Notre Dame is a classic example of BGG groupthink/hype.

There is no way this game should be in the Top 100, much less where it started out (41?!).
It's a nice little excursion, but nothing to hang a gamer's hat on.
It's no surprise to me to see the fall-off of activity for it.
I think many people predicted as such when it first got all that hype.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maaike Fest
Netherlands
Nijmegen
Gelderland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps it will make a bit of a comeback because of the expansion in the alea schatzkiste .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Walker
United Kingdom
Liss
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, we played it a year ago and it has languished until early June this year when we dug it out once again. Now we all want to play it some more as we had such a good time with it.

We find Notre Dame a really enjoyable game .. however I'm not sure we'll ever find the time to 'figure it out' as there are way too many other great games vying for our (limited) time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Levy
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Best hobby, with the best people in the world. Gaming is the best!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm afraid that reapersaurus is talking like he has a walnut-sized brain. shake

Notre Dame came out over two years ago. Outside of the most highly rated games, there just isn't too much discussion about games that came out then. Most of what needed to be said has already been said. And about a jillion new games have come out since that time.

That doesn't mean the game doesn't continue to get played. We play it now and then, probably as much as any game from that year (we're charter members of the Cult of the New). It's ratings continue to be strong on the Geek. I'm not aware of any "killer strategies" for the game and we certainly haven't figured it out. It continues to be a challenging and enjoyable game for us.

John, of course, is entitled to think the game is overrated. But I don't think the lack of buzz over ND is anything unusual, given how long ago it came out, and I certainly don't view that as evidence that people think any less of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corin A. Friesen
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I still play it. Alot. Played it yesterday, actually.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems like a lot of games just get lots of comments and questions because their rules are so bad. devil

It's a complement to Notre Dame's excellent design and craftsmanship that this doesn't happen here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John W
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Larry Levy wrote:
I'm afraid that
Larry doesn't understand the rules here on BGG:
The BGG Rules wrote:
By posting a message you agree to follow the BoardGameGeek Rules
The Short List:
Use common courtesy in your posts
Respect others

Do not abuse, harass, mock, insult, stalk, demean, threaten, belittle, or otherwise attack other users ...

I stated my opinion about the game and explanation of why there is little activity on BGG for Notre Dame anymore.

Go ahead and make personal attacks all you want, Larry - it doesn't make your points more convincing.

The facts remain -
The average # of plays for Notre Dame in 2007 was 748 per month.
In 2008, it dropped precipitously to 440 per month.
So far in 2009, it's down to 316 per month.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Wiebe
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Green is the colour, football is the game; we're all together, and winning is our aim!
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually I was thinking about ND the other day. Why haven't I played it more??? Because too many other (good) games have flooded my shelves and tables lately. Agricola, Pillars of the Earth, Brass, Ilium, La Citta, Oasis, Dominion, Pandemic, Zooloretto, Tribune, Stone Age ... all of these and more have taken over the hotspot. ND IS a good game. It just needs a little more love I'm afraid....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corin A. Friesen
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
reapersaurus wrote:
Larry Levy wrote:
I'm afraid that
Larry doesn't understand the rules here on BGG:
The BGG Rules wrote:
By posting a message you agree to follow the BoardGameGeek Rules
The Short List:
Use common courtesy in your posts
Respect others

Do not abuse, harass, mock, insult, stalk, demean, threaten, belittle, or otherwise attack other users ...

I stated my opinion about the game and explanation of why there is little activity on BGG for Notre Dame anymore.

Go ahead and make personal attacks all you want, Larry - it doesn't make your points more convincing.

The facts remain -

Remember the rules when you are posting, not just when someone attacks you. I've seen some of your other posts...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juha Linnanen
Finland
Espoo
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In the Finnish championships, Notre Dame was one of the games played and the consensus was that the game had gotten too little attention here and actually quite many said that they will play it more now.

For me, I fell in love with the elegance of the design right away and have liked it ever since. I will always be up for a game. The only caveat being that there are so many new games, that I don't play this as often as it deserves. Having said that, it has hit the table lately and I played a fair amount of games on BSW practicing for the championships.

I don't think Notre Dame can be 'solved'. You can just find ways to do good in particular setups, but even though I consistently hit over 70 points, it is still a new game every time.

Oh, and I was quite pleased to win my tournament game with 81 points

Great game, great design, I wish that I could design such masterpieces. Hats off to Stefan.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
...sure...
Netherlands
Rijen
Noord Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I try to play as much as possible, but as this is the one game I win regularly, my group dislikes it...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mik Svellov
Denmark
Copenhagen N
EU
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are too many games to give each and every one repeated plays year after year.But thanks to Treasure Chest have Notre Dame (and other alea games) again found a place among the games played regularly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Железный комиссар
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This thread became contentious? LOL. Oh, BGG. Sometimes you really get me.

To the OP: We still play it a few times a year. It's held up well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Dean
United States
Chicago
IL
flag msg tools
badge
Pound for pound, the amoeba is the most vicious predator on Earth!
mbmbmb
Nope. Once was enough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Железный комиссар
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
doubtofbuddha wrote:
Nope. Once was enough.

Doubtofbuddha is clearly thinking with an orc-sized brain.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Björn Hansson
Sweden
Bromma
Stockholm
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played it three times since april.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Tolin
United States
Beaumont
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
reapersaurus wrote:
The facts remain -

Of all the data available on BGG, I have to think that the '# of plays' data is the least reliable. While the numbers you've posted indicate that the number of people who actually log their plays have probably played less Notre Dame, they don't do anything for all of the people who never log games played (presumably, the vast majority?).

Even if the numbers were entirely representative, they're still not that bad. Abstracted, it looks like people playing Notre Dame twice a month in 2007 are still playing the game roughly once a month in 2009. That's not bad, if you ask me.

Edit: Also, I wouldn't get too worked up over the walnut-thing--I think it was just dino-humor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Klinck
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's at the top of my "want-in-trade" list, but I haven't managed to swing a deal yet... and I've been swinging enough other deals that I haven't gone out and bought it.

If I don't get it before, it'll be on my Christmas list.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Levy
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Best hobby, with the best people in the world. Gaming is the best!
mbmbmbmbmb
reapersaurus wrote:

John, it wasn't meant as a personal attack. It was supposed to be a joke based on your avatar. Sorry that you took it the wrong way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Wicks
United States
Plainfield
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmb
Notre Dame was alive and well in last week's WBC. I got in two plays there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Klinck
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
iklinck wrote:
It's at the top of my "want-in-trade" list, but I haven't managed to swing a deal yet... and I've been swinging enough other deals that I haven't gone out and bought it.

If I don't get it before, it'll be on my Christmas list.

I managed to get my hands on a used copy for a good price. It should be hitting the table tonight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Herrera
United States
Highland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My FLGS had this game at a discounted price and I had been waiting to purchase it for some time (last 4-5 months). I read alot of positive reviews and just needed to build up the nerve to go and purchase it. I had been resisting because I have a few other games I have not played yet.

I finally purchased a copy (Dec 10,2009) and it seems like a game my group would enjoy playing. I hope it hits the tabe often and I can't wait to play it.

Edit: Spelling
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought ND about half year ago and like it very much. It's one my most played games this year. I think the reduce in # of plays is just natural thing to happen for a normal game. When a game is new people play it a lot (like I have done this year with ND because it's new for me), but after some time new games will take it's places as the "hot game". If the game is good (like ND seems to be by many users) it will get occasionally played but the peak in gaming was when it was new.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.