♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
mb

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap_travel/us_sears_tower_ledge
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
除名山 蔵芽戸
Japan
Sendai
Miyagi
flag msg tools
badge
I read that yesterday too. I'd do it. The problem is I'd be tempted to jump up and down in it to see how sturdy it actually was.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob
United States
flag msg tools
Be sure to taste your words, before you spit them out.
badge
If you climb in the saddle, be ready for the ride.
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't like the look of that game board... whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
mb
KSensei wrote:
The problem is I'd be tempted to jump up and down in it to see how sturdy it actually was.

Well, I suppose the view gets better as you go down.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Gola
United States
Redding
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
and everything under the sun is in tune
mbmbmbmbmb
NFW
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The top floor observatory on the CN Tower in Toronto (taller than the Sears Tower) is a lot like this. Clear floor in a transparent bubble. Pretty scary.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
We will sing to you Doctor... the universe will sing you to your sleep.
mbmbmbmbmb

The Grand Canyon skywalk is also a great vertigo trigger. I might be convinced to try it if someone else forked over the fee and then gave me a good push.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ross G.
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
Wisdom begins in wonder.
badge
Stale pastry is hollow succor to a man who is bereft of ostrich.
mbmbmbmbmb
jarredscott78 wrote:
The top floor observatory on the CN Tower in Toronto (taller than the Sears Tower) is a lot like this. Clear floor in a transparent bubble. Pretty scary.

Thank you! When I heard about this yesterday I knew I'd been somewhere similar, but I couldn't remember where.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The question is...

...if the 400lb elephant-man in front of you were to suddenly pass out, and smash face down into the 'floor'....it wouldn't break, would it? Because that would SUCK.

Ditto the balcony one. If someone, in terror, spilled their drink and a huge pool of fluid formed on the 'floor', and you slipped on it...would you go through the sides and right off the edge?

IE., - I have enough faith in construction techniques to know that - all things being equal - this should hold me, standing upright and walking across it. The only fear I have is of things substantially outside my control suddenly changing the variables involved.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
howl hollow howl
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
XanderF wrote:
The only fear I have is of things substantially outside my control suddenly changing the variables involved.

Yes, those same fears that overcome me whenever I walk across the Interstate Bridge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy Pike
United States
The Woodlands
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

"The balconies can hold five tons, and the glass is an inch-and-a-half thick, officials said. " (from article link above)

....I would still be nervous
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
So it goes
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
If you can't walk, crawl. If you can't crawl..... well, you know the rest.
badge
Any game is the right game with the right crowd.
mbmbmbmbmb
Should be just fine as there have never, ever been any critical engineering failures in this country.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Vailliencourt
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OriginalDM wrote:
Should be just fine as there have never, ever been any critical engineering failures in this country.

laughlaughlaugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Professor of Pain
United States
St. Joseph
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks pretty awesome to me. I think I would do the kid thing and press my face on the floor - after wiping it clean first...

Sleeping up there and waking up to that straight down view could be interesting...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Exit 191
United States
Buckeye
Arizona
flag msg tools
Look to the past and learn for the future.
badge
Lets go Celts!
mbmbmbmbmb

XanderF wrote:
Ditto the balcony one. If someone, in terror, spilled their drink and a huge pool of fluid formed on the 'floor', and you slipped on it...would you go through the sides and right off the edge?

These gave me a great idea! What about some kind of "slip-n-slide" that you ran/got pushed/slide down something that whips you around the loop on something slippery. That would be awesome!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Franka
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
OriginalDM wrote:

That's what I always think about when I get to go to Vegas and see the ads for the ride that launches you off the side of the Stratosphere Tower.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Ackroyd
United Kingdom
Brighton
E Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
KSensei wrote:
I read that yesterday too. I'd do it. The problem is I'd be tempted to jump up and down in it to see how sturdy it actually was.

About 6 months ago I was stood on the glass floor of the CN Tower in Toronto and I did exactly this.

It didn't half freak people out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomasz Miller
Poland
Cracow
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OMG.

Ok, sears tower with this balcony - WOW, probalby i can try

Skywalk in Grand Canyon - damn, this is probably too much for me

but this CRAZY thing in Las Vegas !!!! OMG - No way, even if someone will give me seriuos money ..... this is too scary - i'm only wathing it and i have strange feeling in my chest! zombie
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Szilagyi
United States
Parma
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Any one of these would be a good thing for me to do if I felt a sudden urge to get remarried...as I think my wife would actually die of fright.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Scott
Canada
Port Perry
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So I'll add Toronto's equivalent here:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boo
Canada
Kanata
ON
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been to the CN tower and I could not make myself step on the clear floor. I have major height issues, just reading this thread gave me the heebee jeebees. Shudder.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
VETRHUS of Rogaland
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
An ash I know, Yggdrasil its name. With water white is the great tree wet; thence come the dews that fall in the dales. Green by Urth's well does it ever grow.
mbmbmbmbmb
walk_softly wrote:
I've been to the CN tower and I could not make myself step on the clear floor. I have major height issues, just reading this thread gave me the heebee jeebees. Shudder.

I am forcing myself to practice T'ai Chi breathing to compensate for my tensing shoulders after reading this thread.

Maybe these sorts of experiences are the sort of contact therapy I would need to break my immobilizing fear of heights.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Sol
Brazil
São Paulo
SP
flag msg tools
admin
All engines full to awesome land!
badge
*tap* *tap* Is this thing on?
mbmbmbmbmb
OriginalDM wrote:

At least glass is harder to resonate than steel...

I hope...

Damn you failed Physics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aloha!
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
Meega, nala kwishta!
badge
AAGH! YOU'RE TOUCHING ME!
mbmbmbmbmb
diehard4life wrote:
walk_softly wrote:

I am forcing myself to practice T'ai Chi breathing to compensate for my tensing shoulders after reading this thread.

Maybe these sorts of experiences are the sort of contact therapy I would need to break my immobilizing fear of heights.
Or cause your heart to explode from terror and put you out of your misery. I'm pretty sure that's what would happen to me.

So, hell no!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Professor of Pain
United States
St. Joseph
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
These kids seem to like it:

And this one seems decidedly nonplussed:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.