Subject: Clarifications needed rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ron Wright
United States
College Station
Texas
flag msg tools
We played again today. The French won both of the matches--one by way of the casualty count and the other via the fall of Mont St. Jean. A couple of questions arose:

-A cavalry unit (that had just won a fight and killed an artillery crew) went "out of control" and charged an adjacent space. It lost this battle and had to withdraw. The question: may it withdraw to the space it came from even though that space has an "enemy unit" present (the crewless artillery)? If not, then I suppose the cavalry unit is destroyed). We played that it could withdraw to the space with the artillery unit--seemed logical--there were guns there but no one to fire them!

-All of the "A" hexes were occupied by French forces when Prussian units entered game. The Prussians went to the Delay Box as per the rules. During THAT turn the Allied player activated the Prussian units to enter the game. He wanted to move them into space "B"--is that OK, or does he have to wait until the next turn to do that?

-We are playing that the following move is allowed. A French leader activates two spaces--one to move and one to assault. Units from the first space (activated to move) enter the second space (activated to assault) and all of the units in the second space (including the ones just moved there) attack the enemy. Is this allowed?

-French infantry units fire into the Delay Box against Prussian cavalry. There are no Prussian infantry in the Delay Box. Hits were scored--the Prussian cavalry could not retreat so I supposed they would "tire" or even be destroyed. Correct?

-May a leader adjacent to the enemy order other units (that are not adjacent to enemy forces) to conduct Reserve Movement? If yes, I assume that the leader would not be able to move six spaces.

We really like this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Inacio
Portugal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Ron,

This is my opinion, but Martin has the last word.

- The CAV should retreat to the area it came from, the one with the unmaned ART.

- It seems quite ok.

- All movement must be done before any assault is resolved, so it also seems ok.

- I think you're correct.

- I think that the units could reserve MOV but not the Leader.

Once more, Martin will clarify this.

And yes, this is a great game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Raspler
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Ron Wright wrote:
-A cavalry unit (that had just won a fight and killed an artillery crew) went "out of control" and charged an adjacent space. It lost this battle and had to withdraw. The question: may it withdraw to the space it came from even though that space has an "enemy unit" present (the crewless artillery)? If not, then I suppose the cavalry unit is destroyed). We played that it could withdraw to the space with the artillery unit--seemed logical--there were guns there but no one to fire them!

-All of the "A" hexes were occupied by French forces when Prussian units entered game. The Prussians went to the Delay Box as per the rules. During THAT turn the Allied player activated the Prussian units to enter the game. He wanted to move them into space "B"--is that OK, or does he have to wait until the next turn to do that?

-We are playing that the following move is allowed. A French leader activates two spaces--one to move and one to assault. Units from the first space (activated to move) enter the second space (activated to assault) and all of the units in the second space (including the ones just moved there) attack the enemy. Is this allowed?

-French infantry units fire into the Delay Box against Prussian cavalry. There are no Prussian infantry in the Delay Box. Hits were scored--the Prussian cavalry could not retreat so I supposed they would "tire" or even be destroyed. Correct?

-May a leader adjacent to the enemy order other units (that are not adjacent to enemy forces) to conduct Reserve Movement? If yes, I assume that the leader would not be able to move six spaces.

We really like this game.

I would say crewless artillry doesn't block retreat.

I don't believe the Prussians can enter at B until the B units arrive.

I would say units can only be activated once per player impulse... though as I type that, I realize I'm not basing that only anything except an aversion to gameyness.

Seems if there is Prussian cav trapped in the delay box, they must suffer the consequences. I suspect Martin might overrule this, though... seems pretty harsh.

And as long as the units using Reserve Movement aren't next to the enemy at any point, I think it's legal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Hill
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

As the other guys stated, I believe this to be an acceptable retreat.

Quote:

This one would be open a bit more to interpretation. The rules state the units can be moved from the delayed box on a subsequent turn. The way the rules are structured, turns consist of 7 phases, action rounds being phase 4. So a strict reading of the rules wouldn't allow the Prussians to move onto the map until the next turn (after the turn marker has moved again and phase 4 begins anew).

Quote:

Being that the leader is allowed to activate the same area twice or two different areas, I would agree the situation you described is a rules legal scenario.

Quote:

First, if the cavalry unit is fresh then it would tire. If the cavalry unit is already tired when taking another hit, then it would be eliminated since it cannot retreat.

Quote:

This is another one that is a bit unclear. The rules state that units starting adjacent to enemy units cannot use reserve movement. I would say as long as the leader doesn't move himself or move units within his own space, this would be acceptable. Whether or not this was the intent of Mr. Wallace, is another question.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.