Popular Tags: Review [+] [View All]
Leanne
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
Because he is my very best friend :)
badge
Fighting evil by moon light, winning love by daylight, never running from a real fight, she is the one named Sailor Moon.
mbmbmbmbmb
Most of the games we own are all purchases my boyfriend has purchased, whether it was prior or after our relationship started. He had always told me in order for me to be a true "board game geek" I would need to purchase a game, and teach it to him, instead of the other way around. Hamburgum was my first game.

Contents

d10-1 45 units of goods
d10-2 49 units of building material
d10-3 30 donation tokens
d10-4 35 buildings
d10-5 32 copper coins
d10-6 15 silver coins
d10-7 19 gold coins
d10-8 6 churchs
d10-9 3 orange ships
d10-1d10-0 90 citizen tokens (1 for each colour)
d10-1d10-1 75 round disks
d10-1d10-2 25 ships
d10-1d10-3 5 octagonal game makrers for the rondel
d10-1d10-4 5 round game markers for the scoring track
d10-1d10-5 1 rulebook
d10-1d10-6 5 summary rules placards
d10-1d10-7 1 almanac with historical information

Recommended Players

This game allows for 2-5 players. I have only experienced this game as a 2 player game, and this is what the review is mainly going to be one.

Setup

Each player is going to choose a colour they want to play, and take all the associated pieces with it (the ships, the octagonal marker, the round marker, the citizens, and the round markers). You will also start off with some goods (1 of each good: beer, cloth, and sugar) and building materials (1 brick, and 1 timber). 1 of each players ships will be placed in the berth, which is markered at the bottom of the board with the number 3.

One the top left hand side of the board, there will be a location to place the 6 churches. The wooden churchs will be placed here. At the bottom left side of the board will be the goods tracker. 1 of each goods will be placed along the corresponding track on space 0.

There are 30 donation tokens (5 for each church). These tokes will be placed at the bottom of the board, with the 5 prestige points on top of each grouping.

The building tokens are placed on the right side of the board. For the officials tokens, you will take out the numbered tokens, and place them out of the game, as they are only used in the advanced games.

The way this games decides who is going to be first player is whoever was last to step into a church will go first. The first player will have their round marker placed on the scoring track at number 1. The remaining player in clockwise order will increase their points by 1. If blue is first player, they would place their marker at 1, if red was to the left, they would place their marker at 2, and green was next, would place it at 3, and so on.

How to Play

The first round of the game, a player is able to place their octagonal token on whichever space in the rondel they choose for free. In future rounds a player is able to move their rondel in clockwise order 1-3 spaces. If a player chooses to move their marker an additional space, they will need to lower their prestige points by 1 on the tracker. If they wish to move 2 additional spaces, they will lower their points by 2.

Their are 7 different actions able to be chosen on the rondel.

d10-1 Cloth
d10-2 Guildhall
d10-3 Beer
d10-4 Trade
d10-5 Dockyard
d10-6 Sugar
d10-7 Church

Cloth, Beer, and Sugar

If a token were placed on the beer, cloth, or sugar part of the rondel, you are able to take 1 good of the action you land on, plus one extra for every production building you have in possession.

Example:

If you were to have 2 Brewer's and you were to place your token on the beer portion of the rondel, you would be able to take 1 beer + 2 additional because of the brewer's, making it a total of 3 beer goods.

Trade

There are 2 different trade actions on the rondel you are able to choose from. Each trade portion does the same thing. You have 2 options when you land on the trade portion.

- Sell goods
- Purchase building materials

Sell Goods

A player is able to sell their goods by using their ships in the berth. Each ship is able to sell one type of good (all cloth, all beer, or all sugar). The number of goods a ship is able to carry depends on the number to which the ship is on in the berth. If you were on a berth with a number 3, you are able to sell up to 3 of one good.

The price of each good is determined by the goods tracker at the bottom left side of the board. If a player wants to sell more goods than the ships are able to carry, they are able to sell each additional good at $30 per cube.

Purchase Building Materials

The player also has the options on the trade turn to purchase building materials. In order to make donations to the church, you need to have building materials. Some donations will require a different amount of building materials. You are able to purchase timber, brick and a bell in this portion.

The price of the materials is based on how many materials you are wanting to buy. On the left hand side of the board, ou will see a chart labeled "Depot". In the Depot, it will tell you the number of resources you are able to buy for a certain price. You can buy as many resouces as you like, as long as you have the money for it.

One stipulation is on this rule. Each player is only allowed to have up to 1 bell in his possession. This is to make sure 1 person does not purchase all in one go.

Dockyard

This is where you are able to pay 1 timber, and place a new boat in the berth. The capacity of each berth, depends on how many players are on the board. If there are 3 players, the maximum number of boats in each berth is 3. If you go to place a boat, and the berth is already full, you will move all boats to the next berth, and place your boat in the berth.

Church

When you land on the Church, you are able to make donations to the church. Each time you land on the church, you are only able to make donations to 1 church. If you wish to make a donation to the next church, you will once again need to land on this action.

The donations you are going to make to the church are located at the bottom right hand side of the board. The first donation will be 1 brick, second donation is 1 brick and 1 timber. You can make as many donations as you like, but remember, you can only make donations to one church at a time.

Once you make a donation to the church, you are able to take a donation tile. The first donation tile you are going to receive is 5 prestige points. After a player has taken this toke, you are able to choose from the remaining ones. There will be a donation marker for 1 x the number of donations you currently have (scored or unscored), 2 x the number of ships you have in the harbor, 4 or 5 x the number of matching buildings in any church district, and 3 or 4 times the number of people in a particular district.

You can choose to score your donation tokens (take the points) at any time. However, you are only able to have 1 type of donation at any time. If you were to choose another donation token of the same kind you already have, you have to choose to score 1. By scoring the token, you will calculate the number of points you would receive, move your points up on the track, and flip your token over.

When you choose which church you are first going to donate to, you will place one of your round disks on the board where the church is located. Where your church is located allows you to purchase different buildings in the guildhall faze (which we'll talk about next).

One a church has all their donations (and there is no more donations left) you will take a church from the church tracker, and place your round marker in its place. If you were to complete the first church, you will receive 8 points. Complete the second church, you will receive 7 points, and so on.

Now it doesn't matter how many donations you have personally made to the church. If you were to make all the donations, but one, and a different player comes around and makes the final donation, they receive all the points from the church track.

Guildhall

This action allows you to purchase buildings in the different districts. You are only able to purchase a building adjacent to a church you have made a donation to. If you have not made a donation yet to the church, you are not able to purchase a building. Once a player has made the fifh donation to a church, you are able to ignore the adjency rules.

Different Buildings

Production Buildings (Brewer, Sugar Refiner, and Cloth Maker)

By purchasing one of these buildings, it allows you to take an additional cube when you land on the corresponding markers. But, by purchasing on of these buildings, you will make the value go down 1 in the goods market.

Merchant (3x)

A player receives $100 from the bank

Captain (3x)

One of the "Flying dutchmen" ships gets placed in the berth. No one gets the benefit out of it, but it may push others out of the berth.

Officials

Councilman (3x)

Receive $10 for every citizen in all church districts.

Vicar (3x)

Receive $10 for all donations made to all churches.

Lord Mayor (1x)

Receive $60 for each completed church in all districts.

How to Win

The Game will end once all donations have been made to the churches, and all churches are built. The player with the most points at the end of the game wins.

The Good vs The Bad

No luck, just strategy
Cannot plan on focusing on one portion, game needs to be well rounded
yuk When playing as a 2 player game, it mainly goes back and forth
yuk Not alot of interaction between players, working seperate games

Survey Says

I quite enjoyed playing Hamburgum. There is absolutely no luck in this game, which is probably why I end up losing all the times I've played it. One thing for sure I have learned s, it doesn't matter how many goods you have, how much money you make, it all depends on how many prestige points you have at the end of the game. The only way to get these points is by making donations to the church.

On the other hand, in order to make donations to the church, you need to have resources to do so. In order to have the resources you need to have money. In order to have money you have to have goods. And in order to have goods, you need to land on the spaces.

This game is very well made in this way. You want to make sure that every action you make counts. If you are going to land in the trade section, you want to make sure you are able to sell more than one type of good, or you just wasted your action.

I, personally, have taken the option to spend a point to move additional space on the board. My boyfriend has not done so, and I end up losing the game by 1 or 2 points (usually how many extra spaces I have gone). If you are going to take this option, you will want to make sure you do so for a good reason, or it may end up costing you the game.

I'm going to give Hamburgum . I really enjoy the fact that there is no luck. It is a thinking game, that makes you plan out your whole moves. I would probably not recommend this game to the new gamers, as this may be very confusing to start out with, and they may have a dislike for it, and never play it again.

For those players who are really looking for a game that uses complete strategy, this is it. I would definitely give this a try.

I was very pleased with this purchase I have made, and though we haven't been able to play this game as much as we would like, it is a good game, and we are always learning new things, each time we play it.

edit: July 3 - spelling error
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Snowball
Belgium
n/a
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Girlfriends should be invited to proper restaurants whistle

Nice review
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the review Leanne, this one has been on my radar for awhile. I'm just not sure if it is FUN????????

It does seem to have everything we are looking for with the planning and executing aspects.

Is it fun????

Do you see it as something you would want to play over and over again?

We will also just play 2-player!

Thanks,
Mrs. Mystery Bob
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leanne
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
Because he is my very best friend :)
badge
Fighting evil by moon light, winning love by daylight, never running from a real fight, she is the one named Sailor Moon.
mbmbmbmbmb
I honestly think it is fun. We do play it every once in a while, but not all the time. I do think it would be a good addition to anyone collection.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Vinyard
United States
Las Cruces
NM
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
EgorjLileli wrote:

Is it fun????

Yes.

EgorjLileli wrote:

Do you see it as something you would want to play over and over again?

Periodically. It definitely has replayability. And, if you get tired of Hamburgum, flip the board over to Londinium.

EgorjLileli wrote:

We will also just play 2-player!

I think that is a huge downside. There are some serious balance issues in the map that allow the first player to dominate in a 2 player game.

As a two-player game this one just isn't happening. It's very good with 3 and great with 4 or 5.

Looking at the results of the user poll for two players it would seem that others concur, as the breakdown is currently 1 best, 9 recommended and 9 not recommended.

You'll also notice that for 3 players the breakdown is heavily weighted toward only recommended with a distribution of 3 best, 16 recommended and 0 not recommended.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Linda Baldwin
United States
White Plains
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
THIS was your choice for first game to teach to achieve geekhood? Hon, put on the cap & gown; you have graduated from Girlfriend to Full-Grown Geek!

(OK, you can keep the Girlfriend gig as, like, a hobby.) cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mauricio Arruga
Brazil
SAO PAULO
SP
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I kinda need a girlfriend like you. Send me a message if your relation goes out.whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luis Botero
United States
Doral
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a well rounded review, I wish there were more like this, seems honest and to the point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.