Popular Tags: RftG [+] [View All]
Daniel McCollum
United States
Augusta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
You're enjoying your week at Space Camp when Buzz Aldrin walks up to you holding a copy of Race for the Galaxy. "Do you want to play a card game with me?" he asks.
A) Would I ever! Go to #2.
B) Sorry, Buzz, but I have an irrational hatred of card games and/or anything related to space. It doesn't matter how awesome it is, I don't care about it if I have to shuffle or deal with anything not strictly terrestrial. Go to #1.

#1 Buzz Aldrin shakes his head in disbelief and walks away. Sorry, but RFTG is not for you. Maybe the game has too high of an entry fee to learn how to play. Maybe its mechanics don't appeal to you. Maybe you have bad taste in games (oh snap!).

#2 "Are you willing to learn a fairly complicated game with its own symbolic language?"
A) If a game isn't easy to learn and incredibly fun on its very first play, I don't want to play it. Go to #1.
B) I really don't like complicated games as much, but I'm willing to give it a try for Buzz. Go to #3.
C) A steep learning curve is a small price for an awesome game. Go to #4.

#3 "How important is a high level of player interaction for you?"
A) What's the point of a game if I can't directly mess with my opponent? Games like Puerto Rico feel like multiplayer solitaire to me. Go to #1.
B) I really like highly interactive games, but I can tolerate games with less direct interaction. Go to #4.
C) Indirect interaction is fine by me. Games like Puerto Rico have plenty of interaction in them. Go to #6.

#4 "Is 25 to 35 bucks too much for a nice deck of cards and a few bits of cardboard?"
A) I will NEVER spend that much on a card game. My frugality is only matched by my obstinance. Go to #1.
B) I'm still not sold. Go to #5.
C) I'd gladly pay triple that if this is a game worth playing dozens to hundreds of times. Go to #6.

#5 Buzz chats with you for a few minutes and then walks away, stating that he has "important astronaut business" to attend to. RFTG may be a great game for you, but you also might not like it. Try playing it with an experienced player and plan on at least your first couple of games to be learning games. This is a very deep and wonderful game, but some gamers just don't get into as much.

#6 Buzz smiles, shakes your hand, begins referring to you as "good buddy," and invites you to hang out with him on the International Space Station. While there you play RFTG with him and your other NASA friends, having a blast with its subtle strategy, immense replayability, and varied gameplay. You discover alien life while on the space station and become incredibly famous.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrin Williams
United States
Allen
Texas
flag msg tools
I have overtext. Yes I do.
badge
I have overtext. How 'bout you !
mbmbmbmbmb
That may be the best Choose Your Adventure review yet. Of course, I've got a soft spot for Buzz.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel McCollum
United States
Augusta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
DarrinWilliams wrote:
That may be the best Choose Your Adventure review yet. Of course, I've got a soft spot for Buzz.

Thanks! Anyone not down with the Buzz is no friend of mine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Martin
England
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Y'all wouldn't be so into Buzz if you'd seen Brass Eye.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcin S
Poland
Warszawa
EU
flag msg tools
M s b S
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I always found Buzz Lightyear the cooler one of the buzzes, but still... GREAT AND FUN REVIEW!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wei-Hwa Huang
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
MsbS wrote:
I always found Buzz Lightyear the cooler one of the buzzes, but still... GREAT AND FUN REVIEW!

Buzz Lightyear was named after Buzz Aldrin.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean A
msg tools
mbmb
onigame wrote:

Actually, thanks to an unusual temporal event at the time of Aldrin's birth, the reverse is true.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wei-Hwa Huang
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
wsean wrote:
onigame wrote:

Actually, thanks to an unusual temporal event at the time of Aldrin's birth, the reverse is true.

Well, yes, but most people don't know that Buzz Lightyear's real first name is Edwin.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Bart
United States
Winnetka
California
flag msg tools
designer
Baseball been bery bery good to me
badge
This is a picture of a published game designer
mbmbmbmbmb
wsean wrote:
onigame wrote:

And the starship Enterprise is named after five earlier ships, one of them a prototype Space Shuttle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Ulbrich
United States
New Braunfels
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gren doogan wrote:
AWESOME!!! I SHOOK BUZZ'S HAND!!!

BUZZ'S HAND!

(you realize you have made a game out of reviewing a game on a website about gaming. that is so much meta-something, it's one of those infinity loop thingies.)

Actually, innit, like, uh, recursive? cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.