Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ronald Tang
United States
Honolulu
Hawaii
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I see so many versions of Catan that I am thoroughly confused as to which one to buy. Looks like so many versions have come out that I'm afraid that the original might even be obsolete by now.

For those of you that have experience playing the different versions, I have a few questions for you:

1) which version (no expansions) would you recommend if you were to have one and only one?

2) which version (+ any expansions) would you recommend if you could buy 1 + an expansion or two?

3) which version would you say is friendliest to non-gamers and is most likely to hook them into board games? [not too complex but not overly dummied down]

Thanks all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Elasund: The First City is a really great stand-alone game.

If you're going standard Settlers, get Settlers of Catan and the Cities & Knights expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hank Panethiere
United States
Kirkwood
MO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Simply Catan for beginners and veterans. Great production quality.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Irving
United States
Salinas
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Get the base and if you enjoy it, then get Seafarers.

Recommending Cities & Knights and Elasund for newbies? You sir are an EVIL EVIL MAN!!!!!!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Derk appears from the mists...
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Plain ol' Settlers of Catan (whatever print you wish). Start there. If you're completely taken with it, you can explore other ideas via expansions or new stand-alones. That takes care of point one.

Point the second. For me, the best expansion is Cities and Knights. But it does add good chunk of time to the game. Three-player vanilla Settlers with experienced players going fast is a 45 minute game. Same game with C&K is 2+ hours, as you can't play it quite as fast. C&K is "Epic" Settlers. Seafarers is just a slight tweak to the base game...

For point three, plain ol' vanilla Settlers, assuming you're there to set up the board for them. Simply Settlers is the answer if you're not. With most people's negative reaction to rules, the idea of reading a page of rules just to set up the game is mind boggling.

I'm not joking when I say that Settlers changed my life.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Abraham Drucker
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
MOAR GAMES
badge
Damn Dirty Ape I Love You
mbmbmbmbmb
1) Plain old settlers is the best to have if you have only one
2) I actually don't really like C&K, I think it makes the game kind of dry. I'm going to go out on a limb and recommend picking up the Traders and Barbarians expansion if you are going to get an expansion. It is basically a collection of mini expansions and gives you a bunch of new ways to play
3) 3-player regular settlers is the most forgiving (4 players it's too easy to get blocked in if you aren't paying attention) and is the best way to get people into gaming.

For their first time, I would recommend not playing with any of the expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Ricketson
United States
Angel Fire
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1) basic Settlers of Catan
2) basic + Seafarers
3) definitely the basic Settlers - have gotten several people hooked on board gaming with this title - many replay requests and additional interest in other games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Sturm
United States
Lancaster
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1- vanilla settlers
2- settlers + cities and knights (this makes it a different game, a little more meaty, seafarers is just more of the same)
3- ticket to ride. If you dont have ticket than vanilla settlers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Aldridge
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Infinite Dreams Gaming
badge
Warehouse 13: The Board Game
mbmbmbmbmb
1) Settlers
2) Settlers + Cities & Knights
3) Settlers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Beukema
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Catan

2 Catan + Catan: Traders & Barbarians - Traders & Barbarians has a bunch of mini expansions and variants to play around with. I like that. Haven't tried Seafarers yet.

3. Catan, but use the pre-arranged board shown in the instructions for the first few plays to get used to the gameplay.

Good luck, and have fun. Settlers may be initially intimidating to people weaned on Monopoly and Clue, but it's quite accessible once you get going!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Tolin
United States
Beaumont
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm. I'm actually kind of surprised. I expected 'vanilla' Settlers to get the most votes, but I can't possibly be the only person who thinks Starfarers of Catan is the better game. Probably not as appealing for newbies, but it's not really that much more complex.

Also: Take a look at Keythedral.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott O'Brien
United States
Connellsville
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fbeukema wrote:
1. Catan

2 Catan + Catan: Traders & Barbarians - Traders & Barbarians has a bunch of mini expansions and variants to play around with. I like that. Haven't tried Seafarers yet.

3. Catan, but use the pre-arranged board shown in the instructions for the first few plays to get used to the gameplay.

Good luck, and have fun. Settlers may be initially intimidating to people weaned on Monopoly and Clue, but it's quite accessible once you get going!

#2 is the best choice... dont forget the 5/6 player extensions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Neal
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to agree that plan old Settlers for beginners is the best route, if you like it, then I have to say that both Seafarers and C&K are worth having, IMHO.

In my experience it was settlers, then sea, then Cities and I love them all and can play them all still, sometimes I want plain, sometimes sea, sometimes Cities, their moods strike me at various times and I have yet to be let down by any of them, they always satisfy!

I have yet to get my 6 player game of all three combined, but there is always THIS year to get it to the table! ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Persson
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also take a look at Catan Card Game great two player game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias Lundberg
Sweden
Skoghall
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jarredscott78 wrote:
Elasund: The First City is a really great stand-alone game.

I second this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Eskridge
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Straight up Settlers. Definitely not obsolete. If you get hooked by the theme and want more, go Seafarers. If you're loving the system and want a bigger, deeper one, go Cities. Very best IMO is both.

...with Das Buch. And the River. And the Jungle, Volcano, Magic Castle-AAAH I LOVE IT ALL!!

Don
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.