Popular Tags: [View All]
Brad
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd love it if I had the ability to block a thread directly from my subscription page. I will often "mark read" several times and then I finally have to navigate to the thread and access its drop-down in order to block it.

Edit: To be perfectly clear, I'm talking about threads that show up because I've subscribed to the item. For example, an Agricola thread might show up where I'd like to block the thread even though I want to continue to subscribe to Agricola threads.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Casadonte
United States
Media
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
The compass always points to Terrapin.
mbmbmbmbmb
By default, if you subscribe to a game you get new threads and replies. If you don't subscribe by default to the replies, then you won't see them unless and until you subscribe to the thread itself. Does that help?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Joe Casadonte wrote:
By default, if you subscribe to a game you get new threads and replies. If you don't subscribe by default to the replies, then you won't see them unless and until you subscribe to the thread itself. Does that help?

I don't believe you get replies, only new threads. To get replies, you explicitly subscribe to a particular thread (after being informed about it when it was new). (Of course replying to a thread is one way to subscribe to it.)

I agree with the original poster - I keep wanting to unsubscribe to particular threads from the subscription page that shows the list of all new threads and all updated subscribed threads.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am subscribed to a number of items, and I altered the default subscription setting to subscribe to all replies. This is the way I like it, and works quite well for ~75% of content.

However, for ~25% of the threads, I'm not interested and I'll mark them read. A number of these threads, though, generate quite a few posts and after I've marked read the third or fourth time I will begrudgingly accept that I need to click through to the thread in order to block it from the drop-down. Ideally, I could block the thread directly from the subscription page.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Casadonte
United States
Media
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DarkoBeta wrote:
Edit: To be perfectly clear, I'm talking about threads that show up because I've subscribed to the item. For example, an Agricola thread might show up where I'd like to block the thread even though I want to continue to subscribe to Agricola threads.

Go to the Subscriptions page (click on the subscriptions number or My Geek >> Subscriptions). From there, click on Preferences. On the right-hand side it has:

Subscriptions | Preferences wrote:
Threads | Replies: Yes/No -- set this to yes if, when you subscribe to a thread, you want to see all replies (why you would subscribe to a thread and not see replies, I don't know; seems like an artifact left over from mid-development).

Items | Threads: Yes/No -- set this to yes if, when you subscribe to an item (e.g. game or publisher or designer), you want to see all new threads.

Items | Replies: Yes/No -- set this to you if, when you subscribe to an item (e.g. game or publisher or designer), you want to see all replies to all threads.

If you set Items | Replies to 'no', then you won't see all replies to all threads for a given item, by default.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Casadonte
United States
Media
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
I agree with the original poster - I keep wanting to unsubscribe to particular threads from the subscription page that shows the list of all new threads and all updated subscribed threads.

Click on the little arrow icon next to the name of the thing you're subscribed to in the 'Subscription' column.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Casadonte
United States
Media
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Two other ways to look at things:

1) When you've finally had enough, do you find yourself unsubscribing from the thread or blocking the thread? If you're unsubscribing from the thread, then you've somehow subscribed to that thread specifically. If you're blocking the thread, then you're not subscribed to it directly; you're subscribed to something else.

For example, if I subscribe to Dan's posts, I'll see everything he posts in every thread. If I see him posting repeatedly to a thread I don't want to see, I block the thread. I don't unsubscribe to the thread, because I didn't subscribe to it in the first place; I subscribed to Dan.

2) On the New Items page, when you see an item, what appears under the 'Subscription' column? That is the thing you've subscribed to that is generating this notice. If it is the name of the thread, you've subscribed to that thread specifically. If it is the name of the item (game, person, whatever), then you're seeing the notice because you've subscribed to something else.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Joe Casadonte wrote:
If you set Items | Replies to 'no', then you won't see all replies to all threads for a given item, by default.

I do want to see all replies, though, for most threads.

Joe Casadonte wrote:
1) When you've finally had enough, do you find yourself unsubscribing from the thread or blocking the thread?

Blocking. I'm subscribed to the item (the game). This works quite well for me except for a certain amount of "nuisance" threads which pop up repeatedly until I visit them directly to block them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Ability to block thread from subscription page (RESOLVED)
Yes! Thanks very much (DaKarp?)--the subscription system is now perfect!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.