Christopher S.
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Had this happen the other night; my opponent discarded 3 with one left in his fate deck, creating a Time! trigger. Would he then be able to play a Dig in action during the "time" process? My gut said "no, if you discard you discard and that's it", but I wasn't finding what I needed in the rules to make a bulletproof argument prohibiting it. Please let me know what you think.

Supplemental question: If the answer is "yes" (he can play it) how does that affect how many cards he can draw?

Thanks for any assistance...

Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacovis
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you're looking too deeply into the situation. The ability to play Dig In actions is built into the "Time" phase, and as this would be a time phase, I don't see any reason why he, or you, should be prohibited from playing Dig In. I am also a little confused as to exactly why you think he shouldn't be allowed to play it.

Rule 6.1.2

6.1.2 wrote:
Immediately after advancing the Time marker,
normal play pauses so that the following
steps may be executed.

6) both players may play “Dig In” Actions
[A32].
Once the six steps above have been completed
in their entirety, normal play resumes
from wherever it left off.

Jacovis
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
Combat Commander Archivist
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, he can play it. And he will draw to his full hand. (Since the time trigger happens after the discard but before the draw is complete).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Montgomery
United States
Joliet
Illinois
flag msg tools
Dear Geek: Please insert the wittiest comment you can think of in this text pop-up. Then times it by seven.
badge
The Coat of Arms of Clan Montgomery - Scotland. Yes, that's a woman with the head of a savage in her hand, and an anchor. No clue what it means, but it's cool.
mbmbmbmbmb
Malacandra wrote:
Yes, he can play it. And he will draw to his full hand. (Since the time trigger happens after the discard but before the draw is complete).

I understand it this way:

1. Player declares a discard.
2. Player discards three cards.
3. Player draws one card into his hand, triggering a Time! advancement phase. Assuming an original hand size of 5, he would now only have 3 cards in his hand.
4. Player shuffles his deck.
5. Sudden Death rolls... etc., etc.,
6. Players may play Dig In! Actions--the triggering player could play Dig In! cards, as well, but only with those cards in his hand (of three).
7. All time advancement phases are complete.
8. Player draws two more cards.
9. Active player moves to the opposite player.

That's how I understand the rules to work.

Cheers.

Chris
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cmontgo2 wrote:
I understand it this way:

1. Player declares a discard.
2. Player discards three cards.
3. Player draws one card into his hand, triggering a Time! advancement phase. Assuming an original hand size of 5, he would now only have 3 cards in his hand.
4. Player shuffles his deck.
5. Sudden Death rolls... etc., etc.,
6. Players may play Dig In! Actions--the triggering player could play Dig In! cards, as well, but only with those cards in his hand (of three).
7. All time advancement phases are complete.
8. Player draws two more cards.
9. Active player moves to the opposite player.

Not quite. In step 8, you draw enough cards to bring your hand up to 5 cards. That might be more than 2, if you played Dig In during step 6.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher S.
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Good. We played it right, then, which is what I care most about. As for the confusion, it was just a matter of whether the Time! phase stands 100% apart from other considerations in this situation - which apparently it does. It ended up being a minor matter in any case, but stuff like this can bother me.

I appreciate the help, and rest assured I am banging the CC drum to my fellow gamers.

Regards,

Chris
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Carroll
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Wait. That is not right. Drawing cards into the hand cannot cause a time trigger. A trigger is only caused on a die roll.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harald Torvatn
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
davidwtc wrote:
Wait. That is not right. Drawing cards into the hand cannot cause a time trigger. A trigger is only caused on a die roll.

Drawing cards will cause a time trigger if the last card in the deck is drawn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cindy Nowak
United States
Kenosha
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
davidwtc wrote:

Under 6. Game Time
6.1.2 Advancement
The Time marker is advanced one space forward along the Time Track:
* whenever a "Time!" trigger is rolled or
* whenver a player reveals/draws the last card in his draw pile: treat such an occurrence exactly as if a "Time!" trigger had been rolled

edit: italicized emphasis added. The information is blue appears on the latest version of the rules. It is a functional change (clarification/change/addition) from the first edition of the rule book.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Carroll
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Quite right about drawing the last card, but that is not what I understood reading the description of what happened.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
Combat Commander Archivist
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
mbmbmbmbmb
davidwtc wrote:
Quite right about drawing the last card, but that is not what I understood reading the description of what happened.

He discarded three and so needed to draw three, but his draw pile only had one card in it. (It didn't quite sound right to me either until I reread it).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.