Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Turner
United States
Wauwatosa
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Played a couple games of fourth edition now (base set + upgrade) on top of hundreds of 2nd edition games. Couple things I'm sad about.

1) Raiders nerf. Sad and no reason for it except to allay the whining of a group of people that should be playing a 'resurrect with everything whenever you die and is incredibly boring' type of game instead of Talisman. If anyone has a Black Isle Raider card they want to sell, let me know (I'd like to have two so people can't card count as easily).

2) The Monk nerf that states he only uses his starting craft to add to his strength in combat. Sad and easily fixed by going back to the way 2nd Edition was played i.e.: players do not save Craft enemies as experience to gain Craft. There are more ways on the board to gain craft than strength and when you add to this the ability to gain experience to gain craft, of course the Monk is going to decimate everyone. Plus the removal of the Warhorse from 4th edition (an item giving characters the Monk's ability just like Psionic Blast except persistent)exacerbates the problem of this rather common power in 2nd edition's exclusivity in 4th.

A really easy fix might be to make the Monk Neutral instead of Good at start. With Fate Points, it seems marginally less useless to be Evil or Neutral, but nothing beats healing up to your starting quota for free.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
littlemute wrote:
Played a couple games of fourth edition now (base set + upgrade) on top of hundreds of 2nd edition games. Couple things I'm sad about.

1) Raiders nerf. Sad and no reason for it except to allay the whining of a group of people that should be playing a 'resurrect with everything whenever you die and is incredibly boring' type of game instead of Talisman. If anyone has a Black Isle Raider card they want to sell, let me know (I'd like to have two so people can't card count as easily).

I keep the BI version in the box to whip out whenver FFG Raiders are drawn.Of course, by now no need to, people know what's what with Raiders and automatically toss everything.

Quote:
2) The Monk nerf that states he only uses his starting craft to add to his strength in combat. Sad and easily fixed by going back to the way 2nd Edition was played i.e.: players do not save Craft enemies as experience to gain Craft. There are more ways on the board to gain craft than strength and when you add to this the ability to gain experience to gain craft, of course the Monk is going to decimate everyone. Plus the removal of the Warhorse from 4th edition (an item giving characters the Monk's ability just like Psionic Blast except persistent)exacerbates the problem of this rather common power in 2nd edition's exclusivity in 4th.

A really easy fix might be to make the Monk Neutral instead of Good at start. With Fate Points, it seems marginally less useless to be Evil or Neutral, but nothing beats healing up to your starting quota for free.

Hmm, I'm confused. Why on earth would you want to go back to the Monk with 10 Str and 12 Craft = 22 in battle surprise ??? Original Monk was seriously imba.

Warhorse is added in the Reaper expansion, and it's a Follower now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Moore
United States
Oxford
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Gotcha!
mbmbmbmbmb
The Monk wasn't nerfed, he was brought back into balance. Recently, I got the Monk after a resurrection (no...I didn't keep my old items!) after a late game death. In a last ditch effort, I raced him to the Dungeon where he proceeded straight to the treasure room and beat the prince of darkness or whoever that guy is. He did not win by enough to be teleported to the inner region, but I was incredibly impressed that he was able to do this in such short notice. His special ability helped, as did a strength elixir and a little luck. I certainly didn't find him lacking in any way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nite Wolf
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
about the raiders, it sounded like FFG was planning on including more variants of them in later expansions. supposedly that's why they reduced the effect of the base game version.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.