Shem Phillips
New Zealand
Waikanae
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just picked up the prototypes from the printers today. Looks amazing. If you want to try out Capek, I will be demoing it at Wellycon (Wellinton, New Zealand):

August 15-16th, 2009
St. Patrick's College, Kilbirnie, Wellington
Saturday 10am - 10pm
Sunday 10am - 4pm

Not sure on a release date for the game yet. Still want to get in some more playtesting done before tracking down manufacturers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A. B. West
United States
Beech Grove
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Why aren't you PLAYING a game?
mbmbmbmbmb
Images look great and I'd like to see more about this game. Will you be posting the rules?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shem Phillips
New Zealand
Waikanae
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I might wait till the game is released before posting the rules. Call me a little paranoid, but I don't want some else stealing my idea. I'm just about to upload an image of the prototype now...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David and Natalie
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shem, what's the time line for release, etc?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shem Phillips
New Zealand
Waikanae
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The timeline? It goes something like...

Shem makes money - > Shem immediately spends that money on producing Capek.

Haha. But seriously...I'm hoping it will be out by Christmas. If not, early next year.
How's the playtesting going?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David and Natalie
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shem84 wrote:
The timeline? It goes something like...

Shem makes money - > Shem immediately spends that money on producing Capek.

Haha. But seriously...I'm hoping it will be out by Christmas. If not, early next year.
How's the playtesting going?

It's going good, mate! We've had some feedback which I think will be helpful. I hope to get the prototype back to you early-mid October. cool

Any game that I win gets the big thumbs up from me!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shem Phillips
New Zealand
Waikanae
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hahaha....I like the way the cards got chucked down by your disgruntled opponent at the end of the game! I have done that many-a-time in Capek.

I look forward to hearing the feedback.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David and Natalie
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shem84 wrote:
Hahaha....I like the way the cards got chucked down by your disgruntled opponent at the end of the game! I have done that many-a-time in Capek.

I look forward to hearing the feedback.

Haha, that's Angie, my good sport of a wife! laugh

She and I are the pair behind SeriouslyBoard, and the guy on the left who occasionally pops into shot is Craig, our code monkey. The person on the right is Craig's other half. cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rik Van Horn
United States
Livonia
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What a clever name. A game about robots named after the author of R.U.R.
Good show.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David and Natalie
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rokkr wrote:
What a clever name. A game about robots named after the author of R.U.R.
Good show.

I visited Prague last year, too. I'm very fond of the Czechs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shem Phillips
New Zealand
Waikanae
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Rik. I always like to have a name with a bit of meaning behind it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Kundlak
Slovakia
Bratislava
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Me like Capek from the looks... robot

You not be paranoid about Capek rules, no on stealing your idea anywhere... robot

You post them now! robot
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shem Phillips
New Zealand
Waikanae
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hah. Gee...so demanding! Well, when I made that post, Capek was the only game I had designed after Linwood. So I was very protective. I now have four games I am working on, including Capek. So I guess I'm a little less protective of the game now. And thanks to BGG one of my games has been picked up by White Goblin Games. Here's the basic rundown of Capek....

The aim of the game is to be the first player to build a robot, made up of four parts (head, torso, legs, and feet). Each robot part is unique and requires different amounts of each components to build.

The deck is made up of four types of cards: Action cards, robot parts, crisis cards, and components. Players collect all four types, except crisis. These are a sort of 'global' card. So they are never held in a players hand.

The playing area consists of a draw pile, one trash pile, and three recycling piles. On a players turn, they can either draw three cards, play an action, or build a robot part. Players always recycle a card at the end of their turn (discard to chosen recycling pile). If a player chooses to draw cards, they can draw three from either of the recycling piles, or the draw pile (any combination of each). If a player chooses to play an action, they place the card in the trash, and take the action described. Some action cards allow players not to recycle at the end of their turn. If a player chooses to build a robot part, they place the part in from of them, and all the required component cards in the trash.

Crisis cards are what make the game a little more interesting. Whenever a player draws one of these, they must immediately place it on a chosen recycling pile. The crisis doesn't take place until a player discards on top of the crisis. Crisis cards mainly make all players lose a certain component, or robot parts. There is also one which clears all the recycling piles.

Actions include stealing certain components, sabotaging opponents robots, drawing cards and taking additional actions, avoiding a chosen crisis, etc.

It can be a pretty nasty game, but makes for some good laughs.

Fire back any questions.robot
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cristiano Cozzolino
Italy
Roma
RM
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is the game coming out with a worldwide distribution?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shem Phillips
New Zealand
Waikanae
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It depends on how it is published. I have always planned to self-publish it, which would limit the distribution. I have however, been recently considering the idea of submitting it to other publishers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shem Phillips
New Zealand
Waikanae
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pre-orders are now available. Due to be released 24th Feb 2011
http://garphill.bigcartel.com

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.