Subject: Mounting the counters rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kevin Wenker
United States
Peoria
Arizona
flag msg tools
First, thanks for some great counters - Canadian, Marines, etc. Fantastic expansion to a great game set. If anyone is looking for a way to mount the units, I found that the counters in the old Avalon Hill Panzer Leader or Panzerblitz are just the right size. These games are easy to find at good prices. I use a permanent glue stick to mount the printed units and overspray with a satin finish. As a bonus, the mapboards are just right to use for some variant scenarios..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bry Barnes
United Kingdom
Somerset, Uk
flag msg tools
Thats a good idea.

I've tried various ways of making my own counters - some successful, some not.

My latest scheme is to print them out on a laser printer, cut them out and use watered down PVA wood glue to stick them on card, usually thick cereal packets or other such boxes (Kleenex tissue boxes from the UK are pretty good).

The trick always seems to be in the lining up of the front and the back of the counters

After gluing I then use clear glossy self-adhesive covering over the front and backs. This covering is available in the UK from most stationers (WHSmiths) and comes in rolls for about 3 notes for a 10m roll. It's the sort of stuff that is used to cover books. It's pretty easy to handle, is cheap and easy to cut.

I have experimented with using SprayMount as a glue (stinks the house out so complaints from 'Management') and also using printable self-adhesive labels. Trouble is nobody makes labels the size we need for the counters so I was wondering about using just a single piece of A4 self-adhesive paper and printing on that? The sheets are expensive though.

Whatever - they're still not as good as the quality of the counters that comes with the game.

Cheers,

Bry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The single sheet labels tend to work very well.

Also, if you can find it there is a product called "Rollataq" that is basically a thin latex adhesive applied with a roll on applicator that works REALLY well, and does not smell, allows repositioning until it dries and works with photo paper. When I really care about a project, that is what I use (on matte board (roughly 1/8 inch or 3 mm thick cardboard) for that decadently thick counter feel).

For most of the stuff I have used single sheet labels on matte board and had no problems.

One trick I have used for double sided counters is to cut three of the edges (left, right and bottom) of both sides, and use that as a way to guide the alignment.

One trick that did not work for me is to actually use stick pins somewhere on the sheet to guide things. Supposedly if you align the two sides while you can see through them (when held up near a light source) you can get the pins in the right place but I never seem to get them to stay aligned all the way down the pins when making the second side.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Wheal
United States
Kosse
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For those of us who have the crafting skills of a ten thumbed man.

Office Depot will print out onto label paper at a fairly reasonable rate.

GMT sells exactly the kind of counters we all need. Sheet of 88 costs around $3 to $4. Hard to find on their website - but use the live chat feature to get a quote for price / postage.

Combine the 2 using an xacto (spelling ?) and there you go !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.