Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tim Richter
United States
Springfield
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Please only respond if you have played all three.
Tell me which you prefer and why.
Thank you very much
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played all three. Multiple times each. The basic rundown is, Java takes the longest, and is often criticized for slow play. I probably enjoy it the most, though, with player who both make an effort to keep it moving, and also don't complain about a long game. While I like Tikal a lot, it has a bit of randomness to my tastes. You draw a tile on your turn and place it, but how good a tile is for someone can vary quite a bit. There's an auction variant, but that just seems too much for what it is, and would take it's length to Java territory. Mexica is what I usually recommend, because it's very tight, has NO game-induced randomness other than the setup (which is only drawing 1/2 of the scoring tiles for the 1st half, the rest to be used in the 2nd half. All games provide opportunities for clever play through a wide variety of actions. Mexica is also slightly shorter than Tikal. It's probably debatable which you shold try first, between Tikal and Mexica, but only try Java if you try one of the other two and want something similar, but different, and longer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Davis
United States
New Concord
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd respond, but Curt pretty much covered it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Tikal, overall, is the best of the bunch. Java is heavier, Mexica is lighter. Java is way, way heavier. Auction version is where it's at with Tikal. They are all worth playing, and I think owning. Same goes for Torres.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Hein
Netherlands
Delft
flag msg tools
badge
Ceterum censeo RoboRally esse delendam
mbmbmbmbmb
Windopaene wrote:
They are all worth playing, and I think owning. Same goes for Torres.

I second that. Actually, I think Torres is the best of the four AP-games by Kramer & Kiesling. I prefer the advanced game: the basic game is too random for my tastes, whereas the master game is too deterministic.

Oh, and what Curt said.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sharon Khan
United Kingdom
Shefford
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
Games, games and more games!
mbmbmbmbmb

Tikal by a long way. We did own all three, but traded Java away as we didn't like it. Mexica we still own but it comes out very rarely, whereas Tikal we have played a lot in the past, and still play fairly often.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike B
Netherlands
Utrecht
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What Curt said in the first answer.

I think I haven't played Tikal since I've owned Java, because it like it a lot more. If Tikal wasn't so beautiful it probably would end up on the tradepile.

I should play Mexica a couple more times with more than 2 players though.
My wife likes Torres a lot. Haven't played that in 2 years either, got just so much more better games nowadays...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Richter
United States
Springfield
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Good thoughts guys. I appreciate your responses...I had an opportunity to grab Java (I think it is OOP now) and took the plunge. Mexica seems plentiful on the internet so I will experiment with Tikal and Java for a bit and think about Mexica down the road.
Ciao
Tim

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
curtc wrote:
While I like Tikal a lot, it has a bit of randomness to my tastes. You draw a tile on your turn and place it, but how good a tile is for someone can vary quite a bit. There's an auction variant, but that just seems too much for what it is, and would take it's length to Java territory.

There is no use playing Tikal without the auction variant. Too random as you say. You seem to have gotten used to the basic game first and now have scared your view of the auction version.

I played one game with the basic rules, said, "I like it but there seems to be a lot of luck and the player order is really deterministic especially for the end score." The auction version fixed everything that was wrong with it. Player order changes constantly depending on your bidding, which tile you play is completely within your control and the end score goes in reverse score order (low to high).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.