United States
Mill Creek
Washington
flag msg tools
"Recetivism"
badge
RePEAT O-ffender!
mbmbmbmbmb
The following situation presented itself in a recent game. And for me, at stake is precedent that goes beyond just this situation.

The Kennedy player began the Turn by playing Hostile Press Corps:
"The Nixon player is required to make support checks for Campaigning actions in all states for the remainder of the turn as if they were being carried by Kennedy."

The Nixon player just so happened to immediately follow with Advance Men:
"For the remainder of the turn, player [i.e. Nixon in this case] is not required to pay travel costs, nor to make support checks for Campaigning actions in states that are either carried by opponent or occupied by opponent's candidate token."

Now which of these cards governs Phases 2-5 of this Turn? Is it Hostile Press Corps because it was played first, and so got to the punch? Or Advance Men because it was played second, and therefore countered what was already in play? (If this is in the rulebook, I'm missing it.)

(For the record we played that the Press Corps event held effect except where the Advance Men event specifically countered it.)

Thanks for any thoughts/direction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bauer
United States
Gilbert
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
Bazinga!
mbmbmbmbmb
It was covered in this thread
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/1863967#1863967

I believe the consensus was:

coolpapa wrote:
Here's my reading:

Hostile Press Corps says "pretend Kennedy's carrying every state."

Advance Men says that if Kennedy's carrying a state, it doesn't matter.

Therefore, you pretend Kennedy's carrying every state, but it doesn't affect anything. Nixon makes no support checks all turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean
United States
Mill Creek
Washington
flag msg tools
"Recetivism"
badge
RePEAT O-ffender!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey-wadda-ya-know. Should've guessed there was something in the archives on it (and interestingly the same subject heading).

So, I read through the thread and it answered my question and confirmed my application. Will have to think through the precedent it sets for other potential (apparent) conflicts. Thanks, Steve.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Harrelson wrote:
Hey-wadda-ya-know. Should've guessed there was something in the archives on it (and interestingly the same subject heading).

So, I read through the thread and it answered my question and confirmed my application. Will have to think through the precedent it sets for other potential (apparent) conflicts. Thanks, Steve.

There is no conflict. Each card does exactly as it says it does.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean
United States
Mill Creek
Washington
flag msg tools
"Recetivism"
badge
RePEAT O-ffender!
mbmbmbmbmb
byronczimmer wrote:
Harrelson wrote:

There is no conflict. Each card does exactly as it says it does.

Hence the word "apparent."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.